Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeah, mec troopers look way OP.Later aliens might hurt them, but otherwise? As TB said, no need to use assaults or heavies.

Network Hub
    I'm tempted to avoid MECs altogether, the fact that my soliders have to lose their arms and legs in order to pilot an MEC is something I would not want for a solider to do. The genetic modifications and MECs could be seen as losing your humanity to defend it, which is not something I want my Commander to do.

I'll have to see, but I'm looking forward to the game and want to sink a lot more hours into it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Future of our race is at stake, do whatever it takes I say! If you're worried about what the troops will do after the war, don't be. They will receive the best cardboard box money can buy, located in a fabulous alleyway with a liquor store view.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Firewhisper View Post
    I'm tempted to avoid MECs altogether, the fact that my soliders have to lose their arms and legs in order to pilot an MEC is something I would not want for a solider to do.
    Yeah, it's pretty horrific and does seem quite unnecessary. Surely some less invasive mind-machine interface could have been made. I hope the ingame dialogue motivates such drastic measures well, but judging from the stuff they vocalized in the base game, I am not exactly optimistic.

Then again, it is always our choice, is it not? I will make some mecs to check them out, but I don't exclude the possibility of playing mec-free.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Now to make a mod that aliens can learning wireless hacking methods to cause MEC troopers to strangle themselves.

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Firewhisper View Post
    I'm tempted to avoid MECs altogether, the fact that my soliders have to lose their arms and legs in order to pilot an MEC is something I would not want for a solider to do. The genetic modifications and MECs could be seen as losing your humanity to defend it, which is not something I want my Commander to do.

I'll have to see, but I'm looking forward to the game and want to sink a lot more hours into it.
    Pfft, transhumanism is totally the future. Lose your limbs, get fancy futuretech prostheses as a replacement. I mean, look at how awesome these are.

Plus, imagine the hours of entertainment you'd get from walking around a con shouting about how you didn't ask for things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Yeah, mec troopers look way OP.Later aliens might hurt them, but otherwise? As TB said, no need to use assaults or heavies.
    Good, I'm going to attempt a no-mechs run now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by darkChozo View Post
    Pfft, transhumanism is totally the future. Lose your limbs, get fancy futuretech prostheses as a replacement. I mean, look at how awesome these are.

Plus, imagine the hours of entertainment you'd get from walking around a con shouting about how you didn't ask for things.
    You sound just like the Exalt, we have a spy in our midst, clearly trying to steal our technology!

I was going to make a suggestion about some form of morality in the game but it would be way too shallow and detract from the whole save the world scenario. I'll still probably use MECs but won't have more than one the team at a time unless they become more balanced in the end-game. I also won't use them against Exalt as that seems too easy at the moment, maybe some MEC on MEC action will change my mind.

I was hoping for some sort of thought-controlled system like Mouton mentioned as an alternative, or even better a Pacific Rim dance routine, they can make it Kinect enabled for extra hilarity!
    Last edited by Firewhisper; 25-10-2013 at 11:54 AM.

It seems weird that you're allowed your full arsenal against human enemies. You'd think HQ would impose restrictions especially since they're not as dangerous as the aliens.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

If other humans are endangering the whole of humanity's survival against the alien invasion, they forfeit any special consideration.

Crush 'em.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alset85 View Post
    It seems weird that you're allowed your full arsenal against human enemies. You'd think HQ would impose restrictions especially since they're not as dangerous as the aliens.
    The problem is that Exalt will steal your tech, so they will end up gunning you down with plasma weapons.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by darkChozo View Post

At least until you are denied a skul-gun and consistently given orange juice from vending machines when all you want is lemon-lime.

Just curious what some veterans of the series think here.. I always heard the original games in the series were pretty amazing.. Is it still worth going back and playing the original (or any of the sequels) or is it too painful because of their age?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Why? If they are good to be shot at with an assault rifle, they are good to be shot at with plasma. The only reason for not using advanced weapons would be secrecy, and Exalt already know everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsherhod View Post
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival." - Winston Churchill
    Well, that was a motivational speech and as such it wasn't nuanced at all. Despite being quite ruthless, allies did not use, say, suicide tactics. Western powers did not use Red Army tactics either. So yeah, there were some limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warduke View Post
    Just curious what some veterans of the series think here..
    DUMBED-DOWN CONSOLE CORRIDOR SHOOTER

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Why? If they are good to be shot at with an assault rifle, they are good to be shot at with plasma. The only reason for not using advanced weapons would be secrecy, and Exalt already know everything.
    I'm wondering what your purview is here. XCOM exists as the last defense against the alien threat. But Exalt aren't alien, just humans subverting you. Shouldn't other police forces deal with them? Can you stun them and take them to interrogation (torture)? It's obvious there's no Geneva Convention for aliens but what about Exalt?
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm wondering what your purview is here. XCOM exists as the last defense against the alien threat. But Exalt aren't alien, just humans subverting you. Shouldn't other police forces deal with them? Can you stun them and take them to interrogation (torture)? It's obvious there's no Geneva Convention for aliens but what about Exalt?
    Well, frankly, here we are encroaching on the Territory of the Real, where you actually have other police forces. In the world of X-com yours are the only soldiers capable of using guns, apparently.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Warduke View Post
    Just curious what some veterans of the series think here.. I always heard the original games in the series were pretty amazing.. Is it still worth going back and playing the original (or any of the sequels) or is it too painful because of their age?
    There's a barrier to entry for the original X-COM. The interface is a tad clunky (lots of vague blocky icons and no tool-tips), and there's no tutorial, and no hand-holding. You'll be given the entire globe, told to plunk down your first base wherever you like, and then you're on your own.

It's worth it, though. Plan to give it some time. Expect your first game or three to run a couple of game months and then be restarted. Once you're a little more comfortable with everything, and you're a few months in you'll be having a great time. It's a notably different experience to the newer game. It's super flexible, and you can really experiment and do some clever things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    There's a barrier to entry for the original X-COM. The interface is a tad clunky (lots of vague blocky icons and no tool-tips), and there's no tutorial, and no hand-holding. You'll be given the entire globe, told to plunk down your first base wherever you like, and then you're on your own.
    Still it's much, much more sane UI and ruleset than Apocalypse which is impossible without manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Heh. I don't remember the interface that well. I can imagine it being pretty bad, though. There were a whole lot of moving parts in that game.

The interface in the original is not as bad as all that. It's laid out somewhat logically, so it's not hard to find out how to do what you want to do. You muck with it for a while to figure out what all the buttons do and then you're fine, barring the odd obscure mechanic (like how to take on a UFO with more than one Interceptor: I worked that out by accident, I think).