Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar

Games writing in paper form

When I was younger I read Swedish PC Gamer and loved it. It was one of the highlights of the month. Then I had a couple of years when I played very little games and thus dropped my subscription. When I took up the hobby again, there was no reason to start subscribing again. These days, as we all know, printed games journalism is pretty much pointless, being doomed to always being slower and more expensive than the game sites. I still have a romantic relationship with print media though, and would be interested in something like a once-a-quarter type publication with longer articles. Not focused on news, but on analysis and reflection. Are there any magazines like that? Any good ones?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Game Developer Magazine print just got shut down. Gamasutra.com (who's parent ran GDM) still goes on and has some good analyses, postmortems and the like from people in the industry.

Blizzard tried this with a quarterly print magazine that was well done and had interesting articles on the community and lore. But it only lasted like 5 releases when Future pulled back a lot on print.

Polygon has some great features as well. Reading them on a tablet is nice.

I do not know of really any print other than PC Gamer & GameInformer.

Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    Not focused on news, but on analysis and reflection. Are there any magazines like that? Any good ones?
    This was the idea behind Kill Screen.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Then I had a couple of years when I played very little games and thus dropped my subscription.
    "then I had a couple of years when I played very FEW games..."

Not trying to be a dick, just pointing out a common error that even native English speakers make.

I don't know about print, because it is pretty much dead to me between my Kindle and my tablet, but the RPS Sunday Papers round up of interesting articles is probably about as close as you'll get these days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post

Not trying to be a dick, just pointing out a common error that even native English speakers make.

I don't know about print, because it is pretty much dead to me between my Kindle and my tablet, but the RPS Sunday Papers round up of interesting articles is probably about as close as you'll get these days.
    What if he played fifty games per week, but only a minute each? Or played short indies that weren't covered in the big magazines, making them superfluous? I got you there! Did I..?

Sorry, didn't mean to derail.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    What if he played fifty games per week, but only a minute each? Or played short indies that weren't covered in the big magazines, making them superfluous? I got you there! Did I..?

Sorry, didn't mean to derail.
    Maybe he was playing Thief 3 a lot.

Ahem.

Anyway, i don't know anything like that. I always liked Edge for actually writing some long form articles. (though it's cross platform and monthly.. if it's still going).
    If you have a tablet you could try a subscription on Zinio or some other digital magazine platform. (don't do it on your PC/Phone... it just doesn't feel nice).

Banned
    Nothing has ever compared to the golden years of PC Zone and PCGamer UK in the mid 90's to early 00's.

That was perhaps golden age of PC gaming and perhaps gaming generally, before everything wanted the Halo and GTA audiences.

I still get Edge delivered each month and occasionally pick up GamesTM if I'm catching a train and don't want a book.

Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post

I actually tried both and couldn't really decide which one worked best, but in the end what I wanted to say was that I spent less time gaming than before, the number of games was irrelevant. :)

I do tend to read the sunday papers and various other blogs, I just thought it would be neat with some actual paper in my hands.

I looked up kill screen and it seems awful pretentious but that comes with the territory I guess. I skimmed through the first issue (which was a free download) and their focus seemed to be on their own rose-tinted memories of childhood gaming rather than analysis of the actual content of the games. Might be a hard line to draw of course. A friend recommended a new Swedish magazine that I'm going to check out: http://tidskriften.fi/

---

On a side note: What is a good tablet for reading? Preferably not too expensive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nexus 7 I have found to be a great size and weight. $180-$280 depending on which version (2012 or 2013) and memory space (16GB or 32GB). It is not hindered by the Kindle Fire Amazon skin.

Asus Memo pad is a cheaper version of the Nexus 7 at $150 if do not need as much power. Samsungs has similiar 7" tablets in that price range also.

Only downside with Android is most digital magazines support Apple but not always Android (yet).

This Thread gave me a serious kick of nostalgia. I've never actually realized it until now but the days of paper based game magazines are long gone.

A friend recommended a new Swedish magazine that I'm going to check out: http://tidskriften.fi/
    That looks potentially marvelous! I was a bit confounded by the Finnish domain at first, but it turned out well. If you do check it out, please let me know how it is!

Think I'll go buy it tomorrow. The domain is a bit of a joke, since "fi" is a common abbreviation for "fienden", the name of the magazine. (You probably realized, I'm mentioning it for the benefit of our international colleagues.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    I didn't like buying things so it was Digitiser and later GameCentral for me.

Ah Teletext, the wonderful forerunner of the internet.

Think I'll go buy it tomorrow. The domain is a bit of a joke, since "fi" is a common abbreviation for "fienden", the name of the magazine. (You probably realized, I'm mentioning it for the benefit of our international colleagues.)
    Yeah, I know all about "den lede fi", I've done the lump. Although, we usually just said "Ryssen". Anyway, do let me know how it turns out!

I've bought the second issue of Fienden now and read a bit. It's quite meaty at 120 pages for 89 kr. The articles are really long, only six in total, and one of them is almost half the magazine. (It's about Ice Pick Lodge, and I have several of their games in my backlog so I'm holding back on that one until I've played them some.)

This particular issue had "games and art" as its theme and well, it's hard not to be sceptical when people dig that old horse up. The writing is good, and focus is on long interviews rather than analysis, but I feel they are missing the point a bit by yet again talking about Jurney, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. People have been there before. The first article was very interesting though, an interview with a guy who's done some pieces of art with modded games, like HL2 custom map recreating the art museum where the installation was on exhibit, and allowing players to walk about shooting the exhibitions and the museum guards. Hum. It's more game world meets art world than games as art. Which might be more interesting though.

Another article had them put a bunch of art critics playing Ico and Shadow of the Colossus and some other stuff in that vein. They had some intelligent things to say but it felt a bit forced. I blame the journalist rather than the critics; they had no anti-game agenda, but it felt a bit pointless to let them play small bits of games and then try to have a meaningful discussion of their content.

I haven't read it all yet and since the issues are themed the others could be completely different, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, but first impression is that this was not what I was looking for, even though it is of high quality in itself.

I guess I simply want Errant Signal in magazine form. Please make that, someone.

Okay, thanks for the info! I might check it out. Did you buy it from their website or is it in some stores?

I bought it at Pressbyrån, they have a list on their site of which stores have it. There are plenty.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This site just launched:

http://pressselectpublishing.com/

Press Select is an independent publishing label committed to long-form videogame criticism.
    We're working with some of the best critics out there to build new ways of talking about videogames.
    Will be something to keep an eye on.

Banned
    Yeah, all we need is another elitist zine to tell people about the depth of storytelling in Dear Esther.