Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

A few tips from a DotA Veteran!

Hello RPS!

Since this new forum has been established, I thought it would be good idea to give some tips from a person who have played the game for more than seven years. Please do ask any questions if need be!

First of all - The most important thing for any newcomer: Turn Auto Attack Off!

Auto Attack:

Auto Attack makes your hero attack anything closest nearby. This often leads to frustration as you will hit creeps that another player timed his last hit for. It can be a good idea, as it will quickly attack an enemy hero popping out of the Fog of War or Invisibility. Generally, it is a bad thing though.
    Enter the Game Settings in the top left corner and specificy your keybindings. Most importantly is it, that you bind your spells to whatever you prefer. It is usually best to use "QWER" for your spells. "QWE" for the first three and "R" for your Ultimate Ability. There are some heroes with more than four active spells, some with less. Use "ASDF" for these as they are closest to "QWER". Remember to also set your item keybindings to an easy to use selection. I personally use ALT+Q,W,E,A,S,D for the six item slots.

Next up: You want to associate yourself with a specific hero and start learning the game with this hero. Rushing out and trying every hero will result in an overwhelming amount of information to process which will not help you learn the game! Note: This does not mean you should not read up on other heroes. If you analyze your games, you will be much better in realizing your own mistakes and learn the opponents heroes and how to counter them!

Go to http://www.dota2.com/heroes/ and use the Filter to Sort By Role. Sort By Support. Read through the heroes and find a suitable hero - or something you find interesting. I can suggest Vengeful Spirit, Crystal Maiden, Lion, Bane & Lich to be the least punishing Support heroes. They are fairly easy to play, but remember as a Support, you are squishy and will die fast and many times if you don't play carefully. The most encouraging thing I can say to support players are; purchase a courier and upgrade it once you have the required gold. As a new player, don't worry about wards too much, this will be more important later on when you get a good grasp of the game. Perhaps you decide at one point that Support isn't for you and that you would rather play a Carry or Ganker! So stick with the basics and learn the game first of all.

Remember, if you don't let your teammates know that you are new. You are going to be treated as an experienced player and that means people will expect good play from you. Tell your teammates that you are a new player so they don't treat you otherwise!

Activated Node
    i would adwise agianst beginning with a frail hard support hero - you will be useless/dead most of the game. Crystal maiden, for example, is about the worst choice for a beginner. Vengeful on the other hand is rather ok but her ult requires some game comprehension to become useful. Bane's sleep spell can fire back at you and your team if you don't use it correclty ; other than that it's true that he is rather safe to play. You'd rather play some fun durable fighter/semi carry, like Dragon Knight - which is a very balanced with a little of everything, one of the most ideal for beginners maybe. Juggernaut good for beginners too, fun to play, good escapes, has lots of different uses, you won't get bored. Same goes for Night stalker, or Skeleton King, or Sand King. Nukers good too. Well, generally, avoid hard carries (anti mage, spectre), hard support (you just won't enjoy your first games if you have to place wards and get flamed for not knowing where/when), too frail spellcasters (though a lot of them have spell that will help survivability, like Shadow Shaman), heroes that require a lot of micro management (Invoker, Meepo, Chen, Enchanteress, maybe Enigma). More importantly : do the tutorials !!! then some game vs bots !! then - maybe the most important - if you can start by playing with friends/steam friends/rps folks, it will be reaaaally less painful for you and your teammates !!!!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Lich is a very good support pick up for a beginner:

- No mana issues
    - Built in lane control
    - Has a nuke that slows
    - Fairly tanky for a support
    - If in doubt Ulti... usually you get alot of assists or kills

I think Venge is ok but having game impact with her can take some skill and also the in game guide thinks shes a valid carry (hint... shes not).

Ogre Magi is actually a decent starter hero if you have a ranged carry, in low tier people over extend alot, multicast will secure you some kills, has a decent buff and his hp pool is naturally rediculous for a support.

I'm not sure but Abaddon might be a decent support starter for new players too.

Basically anything that isn't hard to play and is fairly tanky. I'd recommend against CM, shes a great hero but she lives and dies based on her positioning, new players don't understand positioning.
    Last edited by DenieD; 30-08-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Warlock too, I'm not sure I know anybody who has a losing record as him >_>

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiiiiim View Post
    Warlock too, I'm not sure I know anybody who has a losing record as him >_>
    I may have to introduce a friend of mine to you.

alright apart from that guy

tidehunter

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    I may have to introduce a friend of mine to you.
    I played with a warlock once who only used his ult to farm the jungle in order to get aghs and refresher asap. I doubt he has a positive w/l ratio if he keeps doing that
    Steam

Interesting advice and I would disagree with a fair amount of it (I've played Dota on and off since the first bunch of Allstars maps), especially recommending new players to play support. New players often overextend, don't know how to last hit/deny and are certainly not aware of the power of warding.. all three key to playing even a decent support. If you are truly new to Dota, I think there isn't a better resource to be found online than this one http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck#.UiDNbzanpHQ by Purge, a big name in the Dota community and ex professional player. It covers nearly everything.

My personal tips would be to make sure you use the quick buy option to shift+click upgraded items, this puts icons for each individual item that makes up that upgraded version in your bottom right corner. Just click it and it will be placed in your stash or in your inventory if you are near the shop. This saves new players HUGE amounts of valuable time otherwise wasted trawling to the very confusing shop window when you're not familiar with the items.

Secondly, make keybindings for your courier, taking items from stash and delivering them to you with speedburst. I see so many muppets stand still in the lane to do their shopping and select the courier to bring items to them. Makes you susceptible to ganks and lose out on last hits. Just make convenient keybinds and familiarize yourself with them, it will enhance your play once you're used to it.

Thirdly, please for the love of god do miss calls. This means you make your team aware of when an enemy hero has left your lane for more than a handful of seconds. A lot of people do not do this online and end up costing their team the game. You can keybind this in the game settings.

Fourth, enable console commands for the game by adding -console in the Dota 2 launch properties. You only need this for 1 reason: dota_minimap_hero_size 900. Default is 600, but as a new player I think a 50% increase in size of hero icons will greatly assist you in being aware of which hero is where at any point in time.

adding to that with console commands you can also set up so that hero names are shown instead of icons. altho i had hero icons at a larger size, i found it detrimental in the end since they report location inarticulately due to icon size

Activated Node
    Always have a TP scroll on you always always always always. You never know when you need to retreat fast or respond to a gank on another lane. Always have a TP scroll on you.

Also, make a habit of looking at the minimap when there's nothing going on in your lane or wherever you are right now, it helps develop a sense of the game, where the enemy heroes move generally so you can predict it throughout the game and you don't have to rely on missing calls and then complain about it in chat "where was ss nob".

Always have a TP scroll on you.

When I first started playing and was just learning the game, I wrote a newbie hero cheat sheet for my friends. They will probably never use it, and I'm sure it's incomplete, but it might be useful to someone, so here it is.

newbie heroes, ranged: Jakiro, Death Prophet, Viper, Lich, Warlock, Crystal Maiden, Batrider, Vengeful Spirit, Lina, Gyro, Drow Ranger, Sniper, Enchantress, Zeus, Ancient Apparition
    newbie heroes, melee: Dragon Knight, Sven, Bloodseeker, Tidehunter, Ogre Magi, Lifestealer, Faceless Void, Centaur, Chaos Knight, Kunkka, Spirit Breaker, Axe, Undying, Skeleton King, Juggernaut, Ursa
    healers: Dazzle, Witch Doctor, Omni Knight, Enchantress, Treant Protector.
    lesser healers: Necrolyte, Undying, Juggernaut. Wisp needs very high skill/coordination.
    self healers: Bane, Clinkz, Pugna. Lifestealer, Skeleton king, Bloodseeker can heal from attacking/killing creeps.
    high hp regen: Nyx, Dragon Knight, Slark (when unseen with ultimate).
    teamfight ultimates: Tidehunter, Outworld Devourer, Naga Siren (tricky), Enigma, Faceless Void (for a ranged team), Death Prophet, Undying (damage amp aura), Venomancer
    strong pushers: Death Prophet, Jakiro, Batrider, Gyro, Axe, Jugg (heal), Enigma, Leshrac, Nature's Prophet, Tinker, Broodmother, Clinkz, Sniper (can outrange a tower + shrapnel), DK, Luna
    don't play these: Chen, Invoker, Meepo, Lone Druid
    characters that MUST farm heavily: Medusa, Anti-Mage, Spectre, Luna, Faceless Void, Alchemist, Doom
    stealth characters you should avoid playing for a while: Bounty Hunter, Riki, Clinkz, Broodmother, Nyx Assassin, Weaver (easier), Templar Assassin (don't play her as stealth)
    high skillshot requirements: Pudge, Slark, Shadow Fiend, Earthshaker.
    difficult: Puck, Storm Spirit, Clockwerk, Leshrac, Bane, Lion, Shadow Shaman, Nature's Prophet, Razor

There are exceptions to all the rules and suggestions, and what's good when you're first starting is sometimes different from what's good when you get more experienced and have tougher opponents.

Purge's guide is a must read, the Alt-tab guides are handy for playing unfamiliar heroes, and always read the wiki after playing a new hero, or with/against one whose capabilities you don't understand fully, or anytime you need clarification on mechanics or items or game rules or strategy.

After the basics (last hitting), I would prioritize study in roughly this order: essential skills (like dropping tower aggro, quick shopping and courier management, glyph use, knowing rune and creep spawn timings, when and how to push or pull your lane), lane composition (generally two melee vs two ranged is very bad news), when to harrass or farm or gank, essential team support items (like Mek, Urn, Arcane boots, aura items) learning how to attack and defend against stealth heroes & items (dust for offense, sentry wards for defense, Gem only when your team is not going invis), warding (there are some good guides and maps for this), team composition and hero roles (don't pick 4 melee heroes, 3 hard carries, all supports, no mid, or no stuns), stacking and pulling, early jungling (what heroes and items), map tricks (what the asymmetries are and how to use them), and lastly specific hero skills, counters, and item builds.
    Last edited by Bobtree; 31-08-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Very nice post Bobtree, and the cheatsheet is pretty good. One big grasp, it ain't got no Rubick! My favorite hero to play along with Io (Wisp) despite being stuck in solo queue normal bracket. I would add both Io and Rubick to "don't play these" though. When you become good with the basics, these are by far the most rewarding heroes to play though due to the possible impact you have on the entire game.

Always have a TP scroll on you.

Can't believe I forgot this, should have been rule #1. Nobody does this in pubs and it absolutely kills games with shrewd pushers on the enemy team. Watch any pro game and everyone carries these, either to defend a tower or to save yourself. Make sure you're very unlikely to get interrupted while casting the TP though! Experience will teach you which heroes/skills can interrupt it but generally all stuns do and this comprehensive list gives you the complete laydown:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/commen...upting_spells/
    Last edited by Battlehenkie; 01-09-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    newbie heroes, ranged: Batrider, Enchantress
    Nonono, if you make a newbie play Bat or Enchantress they will play once,they will fail and never play again, and they are such amazing fun heroes and very difficult it's a shame for them to be afraid to not play them again.

Lone Druid is a good start for micro heroes such as Chen and Ench and the likes.

My primary concern was to list heroes with understandable skill sets and no extreme levels of nuance, and I had great fun and success with Bat and Enchantress when I first started (and I'm still lousy at Gyro, Warlock, and Zeus). New players are so random and inefficient that more experienced expectations of hero roles and play styles and general performance just do not apply to their games. If some hero looks like fun to you, I say try it. Rubick and Io do require some advanced knowledge and practice to excel, but not extreme levels of micro, so I don't recommend against them. Failing once or twice with a hero is not a good reason to avoid it, but when you understand why you fail or succeed, then you can make better decisions.

Game modes are also worth mentioning. While popular, I think All-Pick is a bad mode (for too many reasons to explain briefly), so I suggest new players use Single Draft and All Random to get a well rounded experience with the hero pool. When you get a feel for lineups and start wanting more consistency than AR has, try Random Draft. I play mostly SD+RD.

I think Windrunner is a pretty versatile starting hero, though Lich is probably my first recommendation for newbs playing support.

Network Hub
    From someone who was a noob not too long ago, I have a bit more advice, too. Although pretty much everything so far is very sound advice.

Try Venomancer. I may not have got into Dota without him; I think he is one of the best lords/heroes for beginners. He is ranged and has the capability to play as either soft support or soft carry, which I think is quite a bit easier for new players than any of the hard roles.

All-pick definitely becomes a bad mode with experience due to the imbalanced nature of many heroes in low to mid quality pub games, but I think all-pick is good for beginners. You're going to be playing with other beginners, so you don't have to worry about some super charged Nature's Prophet, Phantom Lancer, or any of the others yet that require team coordination to counter. You do want to learn that one starter hero, and it's only guaranteed to be in the all-pick list.

Make friends, silence ragers. Mute anyone who starts criticizing or insulting you (some others will offer suggestions, though). There aren't too many jerks in the pool, but when it's 5v5, you'll run into them occasionally. If you find someone who is fun to play with, friend them and do it again. If you're new and want one, ask in a game if anyone would be willing to mentor you. That usually gets some slack from players, even if it doesn't get you a mentor.

Get a microphone and use it. Players are less likely to criticize someone who has talked to them, and voice makes it both more fun and easier to coordinate.

Other stuff: Try to learn last hitting and denying in bot games to start with. Watch video guides on techniques or heroes.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeh, I'd agree with most if not all of that arccos, on the topic of game modes:

All Pick: Great for starting out, pick your hero etc... try to learn a couple of heroes for each role you want to fill (theres always the chance the enemy clicks it before you; if your wanting to play it the chances are its either a good hero or fun to play, both reasons the enemy will want it as well).

All Random: Unless your with some friends and want a total luck based game that can be over from the first moment I wouldn't bother with this mode, there is a use to it when you first first first start playing as everyone will be in the same boat, but as soon as you start getting put up against people that have some experience with a few heroes its so imbalanced if they get someone they've never played and you get someone your great with (or vice versa), to sum this up; remember there are people out there that like me have been playing for 10 years, Rubick is still considered a "new hero" :P.

Random Draft: Staple great mode, as soon as you have a few core heroes you can play this is a good mode to then use as your standard mode; most of the time you should have one of your core heroes in the pool but on the occasions you don't you get to try someone new out.

Both Captains Modes: Best left for when your in a team of 5, unless you want to get given a hero you know nothing about by some Russian that can't speak English.

Least Played: This should be considered a good mode only when your partnering up with experienced players, its a playing field leveller, it means those higher skilled players will be forced off there most comfortable heroes, it doesn't mean it levels the playing field alot but it helps; at least that guy in the enemy team that has 200 games on Invoker can't pick him, he might well still be miles better than you with any hero but it would be much nastier if he had his favourite.

i disagree with all pick being great for beginners. quite the opposite, the selection can be quite daunting and its full of people picking "pubstomp" heroes, that you need organized team to deal with. single draft is better for forcing you to learn heroes without overwhelming with options

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    i disagree with all pick being great for beginners. quite the opposite, the selection can be quite daunting and its full of people picking "pubstomp" heroes, that you need organized team to deal with. single draft is better for forcing you to learn heroes without overwhelming with options

For your first 5-10 games it shouldn't be pubstomp territory, after that yes it is.