Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Any of You Enjoy Artillery Turret?

Turrets, artillery or AA guns, built at the fortresses, you enjoy them?

In Connery in an hour ago, I as a TR guy just joined a battle against a VR position uphill in Amerish somewhere in Crux headquarters zone. VR installed number of unmountable anti-vehicle turrents targeting us downhill, so that our armor suffered from heavy losses and could not break full. Angered , I rushed back to the base just captured from NC and entered a Spear Phalanx Turret, targeting those mountable turrets from afar, started pick them up one by one. I think my ally's air force suppressed them not well. I manning a single gun became the main force to suppress them to cover my teammates. Cool . I think I was shot by a VR sniper while stepping out from the turret once in the middle, but I did great, killed 18 (plus a number of turret kills without actually enemy killed), forcing the VR to abandon the facility. When we stormed in, only one or two VR diehards were still there.

So, I know manning turret can be boring, but they are in deed powerful. Any of you enjoy them?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I think they can be great fun, particularly if you get them working together. You can really make tanks think twice about advancing and it's great to see a tiny tank off in the distance trying to retreat when you've set him smoking.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    You can really make tanks think twice about advancing and it's great to see a tiny tank off in the distance trying to retreat when you've set him smoking.
    I have such an experience in which I try to stop those VR tanks by manning a lone Spear Phalanx Turret, several stories tall and you have to go there by lift. Once I fire, several Magriders immediately got me zeroed in. No comrade supported me, and those Magriders were so damn maneuverable. I took one out and then its teammates blew me up with it. As I remember, my TR team ended up losing that position.

I am still learning how to be part of the team.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I love manning AV Phalananx turrets. In the right circumstances, they can really turn the tide of the battle. Plus, they are great vs both infantry and vehicles if you hit straight on.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Yeah, it's surprising how often people forget that they're there. It's a lot of fun as an infiltrator to suddenly get MAX like tanking ability whilst being able to hop out and run away as soon as people spot you. Also masses of fun to put down a proxy mine and hack someone out of their turret!
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

I do enjoy a good turret session, but we don't seem to use them much in squads/platoons, so it's mostly when I'm lonewolfing.

I remember once we got warpgated on Indar, at the South East gate, and I managed to get out to one of the towers around the gate, got a good angle on one of the canyons and racked up a couple of dozen kills. Between all the heavies with launchers and engi's with mana turrets on the tower, none of the hostile tanks really focused on me, it was cracking fun.

Back before the lattice I always used to enjoy getting on the AA turrets at west highlands checkpoint as well. It's sometimes useful to either drop back a base, or move to a nearby base on a different link and provide AA support over the base being fought over. Deflection shooting at longer ranges is certainly a bit trickier though!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I mostly find myself using turrets when air suddenly shows up and starts annoying a base - every decent sized base seems to have an AA turret and you can jump in and out of them so quickly. They seem really powerful and they are just so convenient for dealing with a couple of annoying Libs or ESFs.

Hacking an AV turret behind a bunch of enemy tanks that are focused on the opposite direction can be glorious as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    The problems with turrets in squad/platoon play is that (given their effectiveness) they need too many people to operate. You need at least 1.5 engis per turret and at least one medic running around ressing the engis who get shot down while repairing. It's feasible if you are already on the walls but facility fights do not focus on manning the walls but to be on the points instead. The time-frame where they are useful is very, very small. Especially when you can pull MBTs instead. So people keep ignoring them and most likely will keep doing so unless the flow of battle around towers/facilities changes noticeably.
    Granted they are nice for lone-wolving, but only because people ignore them on both ends. A good outfit takes snipes the turrets from afar before moving in anyway.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Network Hub
    Those turrets are great when defending against an approaching army or hacking the enemy's turrets and attack their forces from behind. Once the enemy is at the gates they become useless fairly quickly, because most of the time you'll only be able to shoot once or twice before it's down again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    The problem with AV turrets and platoon play are as follows:

a) Your targets are mobile, the turret is not.
    b) Combined Lancer fire can be arranged from hard-to-hit locations and dishes out far more damage.
    c) With a modest number of vehicles, they are easy to take out (see mobility) and keeping them up can keep multiple squad members busy.
    d) If the enemy numbers are smaller than the number needed to easily remove turrets than the better strategy is to push out.

Basically, they can be fun to play in against a small enemy zerg playing solo, but really do not fit well in platoon play.

AA turrets are another matter. When we ask for AA nests, we should more often head staright to the top of towers. 1 burster + 2 AA turrets can keep skies over a base clean fairly easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    AA turrets are another matter. When we ask for AA nests, we should more often head staright to the top of towers. 1 burster + 2 AA turrets can keep skies over a base clean fairly easily.

Plus it's a safe and useful places for the engies to be whilst the enemy air is bombing.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

One AA turret can keep away the lurking Lolpodders that hang out on the fringe of a mini zerg, it needs a pilot to actually do a run on the turret without you seeing him coming to take it out, so against a handful of un-teamed mozzies a couple of them can really clear the skies and turn a fight. I get so annoyed when we fall back on a base and the turrets are already blown...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grible View Post
    I get so annoyed when we fall back on a base and the turrets are already blown...

This. 9/10 times when I got to a turret it's blown.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    This. 9/10 times when I got to a turret it's blown.
    So true, but one upside is that says enemy will not pay attention to blown up turrets. That's show time for engineers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I've found most blown up turrets are blown up because they weren't repaired when the base was captured.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    I've found most blown up turrets are blown up because they weren't repaired when the base was captured.
    Before I joined the Giraffes, I earned many many certs doing exactly that. Not particularly thrilling, but no worse than some crafting grinds I've had in other MMOs! Can make for a nice change of pace after a big battle to capture a base as well.

Maybe whenever we take a break, or are waiting on our glorious leaders picking the next target, it's something we could do?

Network Hub
    I pretty much forgot they exist tbh, they're free XP when I see them at enemy bases due to lancer but otherwise I barely ever notice them.

When I run air, if they're mounted there's usually a ton of other AA spam like bursters/lockons in the base so I just keep away. A single mounted turret isn't really a factor since you can approach the base from different angles, it can deter only the most unaware pilots.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Especially true since the range nerf to the Bursters. They really just tickle at more than 150 meters or so.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

So wait, are you guys talking about some type of mobile artillery or the AA guns on certain bases?
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post
    So wait, are you guys talking about some type of mobile artillery or the AA guns on certain bases?
    The fixed anti-air and anti-tank turrets on bases are the ones being discussed.