Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Training: Flying

I've organized a couple of ESF flying trainings, and the response have been great. Not only do they seem helpful for people who want to learn a bit about how to fly, but they are also great fun. The lead, as well as participate in (I hope at least :P). The first session was a basic introduction to flying a scythe, with mostly me talking about stuff like keybindings and basic manouvering. The second session was focused on dogfighting and some more hands on practice. And the funny thing about the second session was that even though I "organized" it, there wasn't that much for me to do. Once people were got someone to practice with and something to practice, it pretty much kept on going by itself.

So I was thinking... Why don't we have this every week? Just have thirty minutes or an hour dedicated to some flying training for those who are interested. All we need is someone to start a squad and do a bit of managing. We could decide on different things to do on a more general basis, and just do whichever of those things people want to do on any specific session.

This would also be good opportunities for people to learn the basics of flying as well. One of our more experienced pilots could take them aside a bit and go through the basics if there is any need at any given session. So the set-up would be most people practicing dogfighting, attacking ground targets or something while a few people are in a small group in the beginning to give introductions before joining the bigger group.

So what do you think? It's very little effort, and very much to gain (and also probably very fun). Even if it's just like four people chasing each other in scythes for half an hour, that's good enough for me.

Also, when would people want this? I think it's good if it's on a regular basis, on the same time. For example, every monday at eight. Or something. If you have any requests for time, let us know!

Examples of things to do:

- Chasing and being chased.

- Dogfighting.

- Chase the leader.

- Coordinated attacks against armor (has not been trained yet).

- Avoiding Lock-ons (has not been trained yet).

Let me know what you think. I'm definitely willing to take charge of a large number of these sessions, but the beauty of the system would be that pretty much everyone with a bit of experience can do it. So it'll be very flexible on not dependent on any specific person.

TL,DR: I want to start a regular flying training thing. Are you interested?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dividing the posts to not have information overflow:

One brilliant suggestion during the latest session (I think it was CMaster who proposed it, but I'm not sure) was using the test servers for dogfighting and the like. This means that we could actually try stuff for real. Maybe organize events with the traitors as well (you guys are most definitely welcome to the ESF training sessions as well) and see which ESF is the best; The Scythe or The Reaver.

Doing this, we can test dogfighting against both mossies and reavers as well, which I think could be very good. This is something that I definitely want to do. So expect some future ESF training to be on the test servers.

We will still use VR as well, in order to not get held up by respawn timers, resources and whatnot, according to need. So any introductions would be in VR, for example.

Edit: Link for those who want to get the client for the test server. https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...licies.114038/
    Last edited by Sir Hoc; 03-08-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Sounds good to me! I really like the idea of using the test server to try things out.

Very good idea I will not say I will be there, just because i don't want to jinx it like the previous training, but...

Network Hub
    This sounds good, especially with the new ESF weapons that will be on the test server in the next few days. There's going to be an opportunity to find out what's useful in a real fight before spending real certs.

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Thanks for doing this Sir Hoc. If we can get more people confident in flying and interested in doing it, we'll start to see fights go our way more often. I spent two hours in VR practicing reverse turns in etc and it has translated into increased survive-ability and more kills. You don't even need to have a lot of certs in it with know how of maneuvers and tactics.

Activated Node
    I would be interested in improving my skills, always seem to get my ass handed to me in dog fights

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Alright, I'm back home and able to organize this a bit more now, so I think it's time to get the ball rolling. I'm aiming on having the first normal training session next week.

The things we need to decide are A), when we should have them, and B), how often we should have them.

If we try to avoid taking time from anything else we're doing, it seems logical to have the flying sessions on either mondays or tuesdays. We only have activites every now and then, and if we have them early enough there should be time for TTTs or Silly Mondays afterwards. So I propose mondays/tuesdays at 19:00 (UTC+1, that is to say UK time unless I'm mistaken). Which day do you prefer and do you like the time?

About how often I think we could do it either every week, or on a bi-weekly basis (fortnightly). What sounds best? I'm thinking of something like 30 min sessions, so it doesn't take much time from normal play time, but we will need someone who can organize it every time (although this would mostly consist of opening a squad and suggesting something to do, i.e. less work than being SL when playing :P).

@Ranzor No worries mate! It's actually really good to hear that it's helping. And I have to admit that I've had a lot of fun running these as well.

Yes we should definitely have them and we should have them regularly at least once a week. Monday is fine but I would say 8pm would be a time more people can make. I also don't think half an hour is enough, especially after you are done organizing. An hour should be do-able. I am happy to start a squad with others...

Activated Node
    I'd actually love to learn how to dogfight and stuff. I'm getting a bit better at killing ground units in a Scythe but the second I don't get the jump on a Mosi or a Reaver, I just insta-blow up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I reckon I win about 30% of air engagements now, a huge step up from even a month ago. Good/medium pilots still kill or manage to lose me even if I have the the advantage of surprise. I'm also a huge coward when it comes to damage/ammo-levels/flare-status, I will flee somewhere safe at the smallest whiff of unnecessary danger to my scythe. Best part about that is that I often outlast my scythe-cooldown, worst part is that it is very ineffective.

So yeah, still interested in training for dogfights/flying.

Activated Node
    Question: Lock on Range or Time?

I have put certs into range...am I wrong? would prefer to launch my missiles from safety

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Range seems better. Have read people recommending range before. So yeah, probably range.

I have been putting them into range, so too late now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Alright, let's go for 20pm UTC+1, just like the previous trainings then. With that time, I think it's best to have them on mondays, since it might be a bit too much training if there's also a TTT. Sound good?

Hopefully my broadband will be back at full power by then. Currently on half a meg up and down

How did it go on Monday SirHoc?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm not really sure if I'm able to play on monday, so that's why I haven't scheduled it as of yet. It's probably best if we start as soon as possible though, so if someone would be willing to take over if it turns out that I can't make it we could make monday 26/8 the first session.

Ideally, I want to do it, but I won't know for sure if I'm available for another day or so.

I wouldn't mind taking part in a bit of flying training, but to be honest I still have a hard time not crashing ESFs into the first piece of shrubbery I happen past, and if I do manage to keep the damn thing in the air I certainly can't manage to aim at anything accurately at the same time. I used to be quite good with the Mossie in PS1, but there's just something I can't quite put my finger on that really seems to mess me up with PS2s aircraft, especially the ESFs. Do you guys have any advice? Do I just need to spend a lot more time in VR?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Maybe something to do with the physics in the game? It's pretty weird, and apparently very different from what you'd experience in any flight simulator. You might want to look at your mouse sensitivity and keybinds as well, that's always good to adjust.

Other than that, it might just be a matter of practicing. I found it really hard to navigate with the scythe the first few times I flew (especially when I tried doing anything fancy like rolling).