Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Activated Node

Recommend be a turn based war game

Hey all,

I've been tentatively looking to see if I can find a turn based war game of some sort to play, and have been reading back through The Flare Path for ideas. The trouble is, I really don't know where to start.

My criteria are quite broad, but I think I would prefer something where the units under your control are larger than say Combat Mission, which I own and enjoy playing a lot. Strong AI, a decent campaign and lots of scenarios are high up my list, and I am not all that bothered about graphical niceness. Also, I think I would prefer something based around WW2 as its the conflict I am most familiar with.

Beyond that though, I'm flexible and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Wibbs

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    From the tip of my head:
    Panzer General 2
    Unity of Command

Panzer Generals 2 is a classic and in my opinion still great for it's age. The forking campaign (win against-all-odds battles and you'll end up invading America with Germany!) and the carry-over veteran/hero troops are what I remember most fondly.

Unity of Command is an absolute gem. The UI defines slickness without omitting anything important, the mechanics are abstraction in perfectness and the AI is incredible competent. Also there's an editor and new scenarios supplied by the community through the forums.

Not sure if it fits all your criteria, but Unity of Command is a really good turnbased WWII wargame with good AI. But it is an hex-based 'operational-level' game.
    Respectable people... What bastards! - Emile Zola

Field of Glory would make a great introductory tactical wargame, I have long felt, and even though it doesn't have a campaign and mostly features battles that took place a couple of thousand years before WWII, it's what I'll recommend. There aren't many factors to worry about beyond morale, facing, and the like, and - comparatively speaking - it is all incredibly ​easy to get a handle on, even if you're new to this stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Does the War have to be realistic? I am utterly enthralled with Dominions 3 and have been so for months now.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Turn-base operational level wargaming doesn't get better than TOAW 3. There's an imperial fuckton of user-made scenarios all over the net, especially here, and with them the game basically covers everything from WWI to near future.

Banned
    War in the Pacific

Silent Storm is an excellent turn based ww2 game, I enjoyed it quite a bit back in the days.

Although I'd recommend to just start with the latest X-Com game, it's awesome.

I came on especially to say TOAW3 and PG2, but goddam people always beat me to the punch.

I loved Soldiers at War when I was a kid, and Steel Panthers 3: Brigade Command, but I dont know if they can be found anymore

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Little Wars: A Game for Boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    Steel Panthers 3: Brigade Command, but I dont know if they can be found anymore
    Wasn't there some kind of free Steel Panthers title a few years back? Steel Panthers: World at War or something like that? Is that still a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Wasn't there some kind of free Steel Panthers title a few years back? Steel Panthers: World at War or something like that? Is that still a thing?
    Yes, there are several Versions.

Gameplay Vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq1Ok...tailpage&t=642

winspwaw
    http://www.chip.de/downloads/Steel-P..._52854013.html

or winspww2

And with modern Weapons (1945 -2020)
    my Favorite
    Winspmbt
    http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Wo.../MBT_page.html

They are all free,but take a bit to learn the Ropes.Also the Units are Single vehicles/Guns and Infantry Groups.

---
    Also free and imho most fitting the OP Question:

Open General
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengeneral/
    This contains Panzer General 2 and several other TBS Campaigns (WW1,colonial Wars etc.)

---
    Last but not Least:

Battle Isle Remake/Improvement
    Sci-Fi TBS
    http://www.asc-hq.org/

---
    Hope that helped.
    Last edited by Arona Daal; 05-08-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    Great Search Engine for Game bargains:
    http://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc

Oh yeah, SPMBT (I recall it's Steel Panthers: Modern Battle Tank?) is good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    There are some series which are ultry hardcore,set in our time afganistan or iraq,don't know sure. You play as americans,its turn based,its 3d. If someone knows what am i talking about tell the name because i don't know shit haha

I've always liked the look of Command Ops:Battle from the Bulge
    But as is often the case on Matrix, the price of entry is extremely high, so I haven't indulged.
    There is a decent demo though on this page

Known particularly for its very competent AI.

Activated Node
    Get Combat Mission: Fortress Italy (with Gustav Line line I'd suggest too)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I really enjoyed Unity of Command - it's a more serious take on Advance Wars with it's main draw being really smart AI which will basically teach you how to play well.

I'd say it was the best introduction title I've seen yet - it's a lovely, lovely thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Another vote for Steel Panthers here, any of its iterations really.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Yeah it existed but wasnt anywhere as good as SP:BC as far I as remember.

Actually the Main Battle Tank looks pretty close :39: I may get that