Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar

My bike got stolen . . . this is my childish response

So yeah, some dastardly bike thief left me the proud owner of a wheel and a D lock. So eager to procrastinate from things I should be doing and inspired by this (http://www.happyplace.com/3080/the-7...-street-fliers), I made this:

and put it in the city centre:

Seeing a japanese tourist taking a snap of it 10 minutes later cheered me up no end!

Did you lock it 'properly'? Or did you just stick the D-lock around the wheel and not the frame when locking it to whatever you locked it to?

I learned the hard way to carry 2 different types of locks and use those locks in the recommended fashion, it is a really crappy feeling, hope my fixed gear never gets taken out by these angle-grinder wielders. Still, I like what you did with the remnants.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayam View Post
    Did you lock it 'properly'? Or did you just stick the D-lock around the wheel and not the frame when locking it to whatever you locked it to?
    Nope I didn't lock it properly, but I'd kind of given up on that. I used to chain the wheel to th frame but I had another bike stolen many months back even with that precaution. Basically the lock is just a deterrant and the rest is hoping for the best!

I only buy cheap (probably stolen in the first place) bikes here, theft is horribly common.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I had a D lock used properly and a chain lock wrapped around the frame and D. Still got stolen. Bastards will be bastards.

Still, that's a great poster. I don't think it's childish either.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

+1 for wittiness. My vespa has a dent in the front, as well as a mirror with cracks and some paint damage. there is no way in hell it would be stolen, so I dont bother locking it up in any way.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Network Hub
    Love the reaction - well done! :-D

Another awesome response to inner city cyclist woes

(the end is the best)

That video is superb. Brave man!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    As a former bike messenger and current bike commuter, might I suggest:

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/produc...=1002&pid=1168

and a

http://www.americanlock.com/solid_bo...y_padlocks.jsp

because the padlocks Kryptonite has can be messed with.

Remove quick-release devices or get separate locks. And don't lock your bike outside for more than an hour if you can help it, because that allows potential thieves to case your bike and come back with tools.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    Bike thieves are the absolute worst tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Bike thieves are the absolute worst tbh.
    Are the absolute worst what?

I wouldn't leave anything out on the street. Bikes are just large enough to be a loss when they get stolen, but small enough for cops not to care when you report them.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I'm glad I can keep my bike inside. Someone tried to steal it when I was staying in uni halls but all they managed to do was put some scratches on the lock. Power tools would've woken up the whole court.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I'm glad I can keep my bike inside. Someone tried to steal it when I was staying in uni halls but all they managed to do was put some scratches on the lock. Power tools would've woken up the whole court.
    The question is not whether it would have woken people up; it's whether they would have done anything about it.

How many times have you been woken up at 3am by a car alarm and you just wished the guy would fuckin' steal it already so you could go back to sleep?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Are the absolute worst what?
    Opportunistic thieving scum.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Opportunistic thieving scum.
    As compared to any other thief?

No. The guy who tried to burglarize my first floor apartment on two successive nights after gaining entry to the superintendent's alleyway was the worst. Nothing like having to shoo a guy off in your underwear with a shillelagh.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

The question is not whether it would have woken people up; it's whether they would have done anything about it.

How many times have you been woken up at 3am by a car alarm and you just wished the guy would fuckin' steal it already so you could go back to sleep?
    True, but there was about 200 windows overlooking the courtyard with the bike racks, including mine.

True, but there was about 200 windows overlooking the courtyard with the bike racks, including mine.
    Since when has that stopped anybody, ever?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Berlin is surprisingly low-theft, at least judging by the number of unlocked bikes I see around. Tons in the courtyard (including blocking the path sometimes, lazy fuckers); even on the street, I'd say unlocked is more common than locked. *shrug* Even the areas popular with junkies are pretty safe at night. Weird city.

Manhattan is a pretty shitty place for bicyclists. I was always happy with walking + subway, anyway.

Seems pretty effective to me. Is New York as much of a crime-ridden shithole as TV suggests? Never been there.

Banned
    As compared to any other thief?
    I love how you question my personal opinion (expressed as a point of sympathy with the OP over his loss) and then proceed to promote your own (it's not about you). Don't look for arguments for arguments sake.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Is New York as much of a crime-ridden shithole as TV suggests? Never been there.
    It was in the 80s. Now it's pretty good. Even peaceful, idyllic Amsterdam is renowned for its bike theft, though.