Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Rock, Planet, ShotCast: Ideas, Structure and Organisation

Hey all,

So in another thread I half joked about maybe some of us doing a small PodCast each month. Seems there was quite a positive reaction to it, so I'd like to use this thread for constructive feedback, format ideas, structure and organisation.

My ideas:

Video format: We play a PC Game. With moving pictures. Let's follow suit. Record each person in Skype/Google Hangout.

30 minute episodes once a month: Will use this as a trial for a few episodes to see if it gains ground.

Structure:

• Planetside 2 discussion, upcoming features/recently released patches, guest interviews (outfit members, other outfit leaders, potentially others as series develops)

• Hot topic Outfit discussion named "TL;DR". Discussion on topics going on in Outfit (i.e following orders, squad cohesion, whatever is relevant to that time)

• Other Gaming, what else are we playing, small review, upcoming events etc (i.e Firefall, Swat 4 etc)

• Upcoming PS2 events, rundown of Weekly event nights.

We will be looking for a friendly, casual format (albeit not as cheesey as the pro7 one recently) with a slight dry sense of humour.

We need volunteers to present, whether done on a rotation or preferably with 2 regulars, 1 rotational and 1 guest. We would also need researchers, and people filming in game.

Ideally some level of animation of our logo and section headers would be nice yet not entirely essential.

Most of this is long term stuff and I don't expect all of this from the get go. We do have some very talented people in this Outfit who I'm sure would love to show off their skills.

SO, if you wanna help out, present or whatever, let me know here. also jot down ideas, criticisms (constructive ones, suggest changes, don't just start mouthing how shit the idea is) and stuff you'd like to see happen.

It might be a while before anything goes out but lets see what happens!

Go!

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    Video format: We play a PC Game. With moving pictures. Let's follow suit. Record each person in Skype/Google Hangout.
    Video? on a podcast?

I endorse this, anything that can help keep me occupied at work is a good thing \o/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Some previous "TV show style" stuff that I have done (although all more commentary-on-event esque):

Neocron Masters of the Universe tournament (watch the final for by far the best produced one)

RPS Frozen Synapse League Season 6 (any episode will do, although I think the mid season ones were best). I really need to do some more of these.

So yeah, I'd be up for doing some work on this. We probably need to get a form set up on the website where people can submit clips for it too (at the moment, there is video sharing on the website, but it's ftp based for users I give access to)

I also wonder if 30 minutes is still too long.
    I know I would be unlikley to watch something that long.
    Last edited by CMaster; 07-08-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Vodcast

It might be good to have "specials" and include things helpful for people new to the outfit every now and then.
    Possibly an "On The Forum" section to discuss anything interesting that's happened here included in the outfit discussion part.

Time wise - 20 minutes maybe? It could be possible to have "extended" editions.

Happy to participate.
    Last edited by Cephas; 07-08-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    I think the size should come organically. Put a load of stuff together and aggressively edit it until even someone who doesnt play planetside finds it entertaining.

Easier said than done but Ill try to help where possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I suggest a format that achieves what I see to be the most important objective: spreading information about what's going on in the game and in the outfit. Keep the relevant bits short and snappy so people can manage to listen to all of it, and leave the non-essential bits for the end. Something like this, maybe (snazzy titles for the sections should be invented):

Core stuff(10-15 mins)
    Outfit news (4-6 mins): What's going on in the outfit?
    Upcoming events (CtA, training, TVA ops etc.)
    Theme for the week to come
    Time for next outfit chat
    Requests for help doing things

TL;DR (4-6 mins): Important forum discussions

LaunchPad (3-4 mins): A run-down of the most important patch notes since last month

Extra stuff
    Special guests: Time for interviews and chats with any special guests

Member spotlights (3-6 mins): Time for member contributions
    Purple Giraffe of Awesome awards
    (Short) video clips
    After action reports
    Stories
    Poems

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    I suggest a format that achieves what I see to be the most important objective: spreading information about what's going on in the game and in the outfit. Keep the relevant bits short and snappy so people can manage to listen to all of it, and leave the non-essential bits for the end. Something like this, maybe (snazzy titles for the sections should be invented):

Core stuff(1 min)

Member spotlights (29 mins): Time for member contributions
    Poems
    Fixed that for you Eso

I like the sound of it, but I'd actually say instead of deciding "it will be 30 minutes", do a trial run of it a few times and see what you average out at.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Obscure Node
    You are going to end up recording ~2 hours worth of time to make up a good 30 minute show anyway, certainly for the first few episodes. I'm with Jaguar skills about aggressive editing and deciding on the time after seeing what you have in front of you, keeping 30mins as a max time you shouldn't get over but not one you have to hit.

Activated Node
    Poems?

TR are red
    NC are blue
    Say hello to my lancer
    pew pew pew pew

lmao

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Poems
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintFillan View Post
    Poems?

TR are red
    NC are blue
    Say hello to my lancer
    pew pew pew pew

lmao
    Damn, you beat me to it!

Well, here is my take on it:

Terrans are red,
    NC is blue,
    Nanites are sweet,
    And so is Vanu.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Did the pro7 show actually ask for haikus or did I hallucinate that?
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    Did the pro7 show actually ask for haikus or did I hallucinate that?
    Dusk on Auraxis
    Terrible these toils of war
    For Vanu, Endless

Sounds awesome... I cant wait to hear about it all in a few weeks when im back from my hols!

I'll lob my actor/writer/media hat onto the pile 'nall.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Suggestions for presenters would be good. Clear English (not necessarily British English, but must still be clear nonetheless), good speaker, friendly demeanour. Put up your suggestions and we'll speak to those suggestions about whether they'd be willing to do it!

Grible when he's pissed.

Oak, Dewi, CMaster or Cooper would all get my vote for presenters. All of these people speak with clarity and don't have too strong an accent to be misunderstood/misheard by anyone.

I like the idea of having one or two set presenters and then guest spotting others on a cast by cast basis.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Grible would be amazing, but not sure he'd be up for it/would have the time. I'm also trying my best to steer away from the crazy one/straight arrow format (i.e Yogscast) as much as possible to create our own formula. But it is a popular format.

Grible would be amazing, but not sure he'd be up for it/would have the time. I'm also trying my best to steer away from the crazy one/straight arrow format (i.e Yogscast) as much as possible to create our own formula. But it is a popular format.
    I guess it depends what you want from it. You're right, a lot of crazy/straight arrow combos popped up, before the yogscast and even more since then because a lot of people are trying to be big on youtube. But I think depending on your content, it doesn't work to do that. They get away with it because of their target audience.

Since you wont be doing a lets play of "HOT NEW BANDWAGON GAME" you don't have to worry about having a comedic duo. You just need guys who are easy to listen to talking about relative items to Planetside 2. By your OP as well it looks like this is more focused towards the RPS crew so it's likely to be have an established viewer base already instead of you trying to garner one (like something akin to TGS Podcast or itMeJP or any other youtube podcast).

Steam ID

I actually had TGS podcast in mind for visual style when I first thought about doing this.

Network Hub
    Top Ten "That's What She Said" countdown.

I actually had TGS podcast in mind for visual style when I first thought about doing this.
    They certainly have one of the better visual presentations, much better than having the game taking up all the screen and people green screened in down the bottom.

Steam ID