Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar

[VS] Weekly themes

Post your ideas for Theme Week themes here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    It's like this thread was made for me!

Ideas (which I've posted some of before):

1. Two squad tactics week - like the hammer and anvil thing I tried, but more expertly executed
    2. Armoured week - get better at using it properly
    3. Air week - get better with air squads
    4. Paratroop week - gal drops behind lines and on important targets, die gloriously, respawn, go again
    5. Combined arms week - all the above in moderation, everything is good in moderation!
    6. Shock and awe week - fast redeploys, fast transports, light assaults, getting to the enemy before they know what's going on
    7. Guerilla warfare week - destory the enemy's ability to do battle, go behind lines, hack terminals and turrets, mine vehicle pads.
    8. Comms discipline week - have designated times for actually getting better at balancing the chat and the tactics so that both can thrive.
    9. TVA week - hearts and minds win wars so stay close to our TVA friends and support them all week.
    10. Film week - Jaguar, Cmaster, et al. would need to be up for it but basically a whole week making an amazing film.
    11. No sundy week - see if we can get better at never needing to respawn during a base fight, medics and med kits are the answer!

I could keep banging out ideas all night. Does anyone like any of these?
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    i like 11 and 9, have no hope for the success of 8 and would love to see 1 pan out!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, 1 would be sweet, Double Dragon week! Get the feeling double teams could work at any scale - we could try split evenly into two forces at all times, whether that's within a single squad or two platoons supporting each other. 9 also sounds good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    11 and 9 are things I've tried tp push before and would welcome them in particular. All seem very good ideas though.

6 Would be excellent. But it requires a level of coordination I'm not sure we, as a whole, are up for. it's certainly possible to do it as part of TACGIR, but the coordination required to get drop-pods to come in on demand and together is often beyond us. I know I've tried and failed a few times...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Network Hub
    I support No. 1. I feel that after the basic coordination of staying together as a unit is achieved (Squad Cohesion), the next step is the basic tactical move of flanking the enemy.

Unfortunately, without a squad of LAs, Planetside 2 can make this very difficult with its terrain and base design. Nonetheless, having one element fix the enemy at decent range, while another element moves in for the kill from the sides/rear is viable in many firefights. I might have a go at it next time I'm PL, see how it works out.

No. 6 is also interesting. I like the idea of constantly pushing an enemy, since it's one of the few situations where small numbers can genuinely hamper larger forces (Harassers, drop-pod assaults, LA assaults etc).

Activated Node
    "Try a different class" week - encourage people to experiment with different classes, could be useful so everyone gets an idea of how each role works.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKiwi View Post
    "Try a different class" week - encourage people to experiment with different classes, could be useful so everyone gets an idea of how each role works.
    That's mildly freakish, I came here to suggest that exact name and idea. So naturally I support it. I found that when I started playing infiltrator with mines I got a lot smarter about looking out for them, similarly with playing LA and looking up.

Wally is now on Steam!

Jack's suggestions...

1: Fireteams week - four man sub-squads covering each other and using proximity chat to minimise crossed communications. For squads willing.

2) Fettish week (.. sorry) - Light Assault focus, JETPAAAAAAACKS! Stop using the bloody gates and doors! Jump the roof, climb the walls! Outmaneuver the enemy! We're too predictable, we walk into meatgrinders and bottlenecks. This isn't necessary. Let us explore the other options.

3) Ninja Games - Infiltration focus, taking every opportunity to ghost-crash enemy facilities with infiltrator squads. Invisibility and landmines! We really don't exploit the more interesting classes enough. Our tactics are bland when we're serious, and ridiculous when we're not, and while a lot of fun we're ignoring a lot of what Planetside offers.

4) An Exercise in Subtlety - MAX CRAAAAAAAAAAAASH. Repeatedly. A week to experiment more with MAX techniques, something we've done far too little of.

5) BLITZKRIEG! - MY TANK IS FIGHT. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WqwFhX6Cqg LISSTENNN and know this will be playing. A week dedicated to armoured operations, with infantry as a flanking support and point capping force but with the emphasis being on the open field, roadtripping our heavy gear back and forth 'cross continent to meet enemy columns, with air recon spotting our targets.

6) I'M LIKE A BURD - ESF and Liberators. Air squad is nice, but I want air chaos. Paradropping is fine, but Scythes work just as well to get into the fight. I want to see 40 scythes converge on one target, to the abject, armour-wetting horror of NC and TR alike. I want INI and LSD to cry with fear as our flying ridiculous shuriken-things blot out the sun, while DIG look on in envy. Air focus week, with the explicit purpose of NOT USING GALAXIES - decimate ground-forces with strafing runs, then park and dive into the fight. Kamikazi not discouraged. We all need some practise in the sky, and the only weakness of our dedicated pilots is that they rarely have a wingman!

May add further. Share thoughts? =x

Japanese or Chinese tentacle theme week!

or

1) Facillitate the Zerg week - a week where we try to harness the power of the zerg by herding them and focus on taking out obstacles (enemy armour, hostile AV nests, enemy sundies etc.) to keep their momentum up.

2) Battle-Buddies week - a week where we try to revive the concept of working with a "Battle-Buddy" and not going full Rambo. You should never go full Rambo.

3) Armoured Assault week - focus on not just driving 4 fully loaded sundies into a wall of TR/NC armour, but instead try to utilize a proper mix of vehicles when advancing on new objectives.

4) Air Assault week - see idea #3, but with flying saucers instead.
    Planetside 2 : ParaTroop
    EVE Online : Stale
    Steam : Blue_Inquisitor

I like these suggestions, particularly 'facilitate the zerg week'. I think the most important thing with zerg handling is to provide a spearhead for their attacks. Zerglingss like to not be the first in the door so go in loudly and confidently (ideally with medics). Also, use rez grenades to get the little blighters going again when they all cluster up and get taken out by C4. The other important thing with zergs, though harder to do is to get them to pull back from a meat grinder effectively. I'm not sure how to do that other than /yell. Maybe showing up with sundies and gals to move them on without damaging their pride and their k/d ratio?

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    I really like the max-crash week idea.

Re. facilitating the Zerg.

One of the the smaller TR outfits wrote this a while back... http://squadside.wordpress.com/2013/...ting-the-zerg/

Might be a useful start point? The rest of the site is an entertaining/illuminating read too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    How about "class composition week".

Instead of 'try another class' how about 'try being a class that better compliments the squad'?

We still have far, far too many hours put into engineer and not enough in medic.

This week I've heard PLs pause to check squad compositions and get people to shift. That's excellent, but we don;t do this enough.

Maybe we could agree on 'maximum numbers' of each class per squad and spend a week enforcing that.

(BTW my suggested maximum numbers are:
    Infil & LA : 4 (They fulfill very similar roles in a squad; picking enemies off & providing info about enemy movements)
    Medic : 10
    Engy : 2
    Heavy : 4
    MAX : 2

Albeit very different for dedicated MAX crashes.)
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    How about "class composition week".

Instead of 'try another class' how about 'try being a class that better compliments the squad'?

We still have far, far too many hours put into engineer and not enough in medic.

This week I've heard PLs pause to check squad compositions and get people to shift. That's excellent, but we don;t do this enough.

Maybe we could agree on 'maximum numbers' of each class per squad and spend a week enforcing that.

(BTW my suggested maximum numbers are:
    Infil & LA : 4 (They fulfill very similar roles in a squad; picking enemies off & providing info about enemy movements)
    Medic : 10
    Engy : 2
    Heavy : 4
    MAX : 2

Albeit very different for dedicated MAX crashes.)
    I'd also like to see a minimum number of certain classes per squad for general play such as: 2 Medics so hopefully one can get the other up in a pinch, 1 Engineer so we always have batteries for our torches , 1 Infil so we can hack stuff but more importantly if the Infil works near the Engy then we have full coverage radar at our current position, 1 Heavy with a Nemesis so that we have a very bare minimum of anti air at all time. That's 5 people with 7 left for horses for courses heh.
    PS2 a.k.a. PurpleSnow
    also available on Steam

Quote Originally Posted by CaBBagE View Post
    I'd also like to see a minimum number of certain classes per squad for general play such as: 2 Medics so hopefully one can get the other up in a pinch, 1 Engineer so we always have batteries for our torches , 1 Infil so we can hack stuff but more importantly if the Infil works near the Engy then we have full coverage radar at our current position, 1 Heavy with a Nemesis so that we have a very bare minimum of anti air at all time. That's 5 people with 7 left for horses for courses heh.
    I agree, though I'd also suggest one max at all times because being able to change loadout means they can be quite versatile and their power provides a focal point for our attacks.

I think minimum numbers per class are probably more relevant than maximums, at least to begin with. Once we get better at this perhaps we limit people all pulling engie but we shouldn't ignore the fact that sometime like and have certed into one class only (which might be engie) and will be more effective with that class than any other. Only trying to enforce minimums is easier to achieve when facing this constraint. I'd suggest that we try to get these minimums going at all times.

Wally is now on Steam!

Time to discuss a new theme. Topical suggestions:

1. Combined arms week
    2. Squad composition week
    3. Comms discipline week

I'd support any of these. I'd like to see them all in due course.

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Comms discipline week! This is what we really need, I think. It'd be nice if someone else would like to copy my template from previous weeks and get it going this time. I also firmly believe in limited democracy when choosing the theme. Ask people, and give them a day or two to speak their minds, then just pick one that seems popular and go.

Edit: thanks for the initiative, by the way! I've been thinking of pushing for this myself, but haven't gotten around to it.

No sundy/medic squad assaults sounds like alot of fun, some of the best fights I've had recently have been just this, taking and holding key locations with medic heavy squads is extremely rewarding.

I'll put up the post for theme week 3 on Sunday if no one beats me to it.

Wally is now on Steam!