Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If we settle on a long-term comms system, it would be really great to have a comms discipline week. Would help cement good practices before problems ever start to appear (there is no point focusing on training everyone to use a system if it's still changing though).

Comms discipline is not about the comms system (how we talk to each other) so much as the way we talk to each other. Having some basic comms discipline as standard would probably give some of these newer setups a fighting chance too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, but it would seem like a mistake to spend a week pushing for good practices in various roles if those roles are likely to change. For instance, the future role of ROs is kind of unclear at the moment, no point in getting people really good at the job if it will then disappear, or failing to train with them when they will be reintroduced a week later.

I don't think it's a case of having very specific training for each role, more of a general outfit-wide 'best practices' sort of thing. No matter which comms system we use, we need better discipline as a whole. Getting all of us to concentrate on the basics will inform any specific necessities of future roles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    In my mind comms discipline exists independently of comms set up. Imagine using a physical radio, do you care what make or model the radio if the person on the other end is just spamming you with stories about their day?

I can see that some aspects of how we use the comms system will depend on the roles we have assigned but that's a finer detail. I think we could all benefit from a week dealing with the basics first.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Okay, so Comms Discipline week... How did that go, anyway? I wasn't playing often enough to tell, but the times I did play, comms discipline was not really different from other nights, neither was anyone actually pushing for it, me included.

Should we give this another week, or pick another theme for next week?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    I have not noticed any comms discipline improvements or enforcements. It has not been bad, but not exceptionally good either.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I haven't been playing that much either, but my experience of it is that there hasn't been that much focus on it. Comms hasn't been bad, but like Lakroy says they hasn't been great either. I actually think that there has been less banter than usual, instead of the desired smooth switching between bantering and game-talk. So maybe the approach hasn't been as good as it could have been? Losing entertainment from bantering without gaining entertainment from talking about what's happening isn't really what we'd want.

Comms discipline is something that is always very important, so I'm not sure that having it for a weekly theme again is the way to go. Rather, it should be something that we put a bit of focus on every now and then. Maybe try to do some more debriefings and see how the comms discipline is for the evening? Or in the breaks (when and if these are happening)?

Well, the point of theme weeks so far has been to work intensely on one thing that is important to do all the time, in an attempt to make it a habit. It seems to have worked very well on squad cohesion, maybe because that is a very tangible thing that yields very tangible benefits. Perhaps something similar is what we should aim for when looking for theme for next theme week?

how about working on something like how we act when defending buildings, or something even simpler, like keeping our medics safe, or playing with more MAXes?

Obscure Node
    It may be possible to roll the 3 mentioned by esoteric:
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie
    Defending Buildings ... medics safe ... Maxes
    Into one theme. I don't know what to call it, but I feel we should spend some time reinforcing the basic defensive rules, such as no strafing into friendly AI turret fire, crouching in front, and tactical static defence (note the INI defensive map thread).
    It's one of those things we all do most of the time. But it's all too often we get people (including me) wandering off to see if anything is happening at one of the other doors, so being unable to stop the infantry push through the door they abandoned. Plus I do often hear on comms something along the lines of "sorry <name> ... you walked in front of my <lancer/sniper/turret>.

Whilst this isn't such a major theme, it could be incorporated into other theme week ideas.

I like this idea! How about a Defensive Tactics week? A list of things we could try to keep in mind, whenever we are on the defending team (in no order of importance):

• Using AI Mana turrets
    • Using MAXes
    • Keeping medics safe
    • Crouching in front
    • Not moving around too much, and especially not strafing into lines of friendly fire

We need to now when the counter-push comes, so the following might be good too:

• Using recon darts or radar flashes (possibly with a Kobalt or shotgun on)
    • Assigning specific people for recon duty, possibly posting someone on the outside.

Edit: Or this could become an Intel and Recon week, maybe.

Obscure Node
    I absolutely agree, defensive tactics are something we really need to practice, and seem to account for the most obvious disparity in performance between the extremely organised outfits and our more casual approach.
    and I'm not just agreeing because I suggested the same thing a few weeks ago

Obscure Node
    Also an idea that cropped up, (and this SHOULDN'T be in a week of it's own), is that we all want the striker to get nerfed right? Well, we should face it that if the striker loses it's power, it'll be likely that our lancer will be next in line. Lets face it, blowing up tanks from miles away without any warning, in a split second (with a decent squad) is just a little overpowered. We should therefore think about different AT roles - Vortex MAXes, lock on rockets that sort of thing. Also being more tactical, with AT mines on vehicle spawners. Light assault with C4 bombing runs. AT MANA turrets where available. Just setting up contingencies for our beloved Lancer getting ruined.

Any ideas what kind of week this could be incorporated into?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman202 View Post
    Also an idea that cropped up, (and this SHOULDN'T be in a week of it's own), is that we all want the striker to get nerfed right? Well, we should face it that if the striker loses it's power, it'll be likely that our lancer will be next in line. Lets face it, blowing up tanks from miles away without any warning, in a split second (with a decent squad) is just a little overpowered. We should therefore think about different AT roles - Vortex MAXes, lock on rockets that sort of thing. Also being more tactical, with AT mines on vehicle spawners. Light assault with C4 bombing runs. AT MANA turrets where available. Just setting up contingencies for our beloved Lancer getting ruined.

That could fit into the 'defensive strategies' week.
    As well as locking down bases by holding tactically important buildings, lancer and AV turret nests work very well to halt enemy movements.

I can envisage a 'defensive week' where we play as a fast-deploy platoon that drops-in to halt enemy advances as and when needed. Either dropping into bases to secure them or onto defensible vantage points to hammer incoming enemy vehicles.

And, once an enemy advance has been pushed back / the base secured we then redeploy to the next position to defend rather than simply push forward from where we were.

Because, in general, the 'zerg' is pretty bad at defensive movements. It's a strategic gap that's too often ignored by many outfits.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman202 View Post

I doubt the Lancer will be nerfed anytime soon. Reasons why Striker is overpowered :
    - Require no skill. Point, lock on and shoot.
    - Has no counter. You can't hide from it once locked on (except flares but that will only save you once).
    - Hit as easily tank and airplanes.
    - Get kill even when lone wolfing.
    - Has high damage.

Of all theses reasons, only #5 is true for the lancer. You won't get kill if alone, you mostly can't hit ESF, you can be countered by hiding/having an airsquad, and even if it's not a hard weapon to use, it's still a lot harder than striker, especially against moving targets. Any skilled ESF / lib can eradicate a lancer squad.

The main reason VS and NC want a nerf is that it gives automatic air dominance (whereas others factions need to pull specific anti-air weapons). The main reason some Tr wants a nerf is that lock-on = boring gameplay/no skill weapon.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 02-09-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Obscure Node
    True. But we all know how the developers seem to favour the TR. Just something worth thinking about, especially in the long run.

The Lancer and the Striker are both silly strong. It's just that the Striker is strong even when solo, and the Lancer isn't. Weapons being good en masse isn't really a problem. Everything is good if you bring a lot of it. 48 guys with beamers will kill an ESF real quick.

The way the Striker should be nerfed (IMO) is that the missiles should lose lock and slam into mountains if you break line of sight.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The main issue with the striker is how effective it is against air. When VS and NC want to counter air attacks, they switch to AA kits. When TR wants to counter air, they just switch to their standard launcher and shoot. The real strength is that there will be multiple strikers ready in any given area with TR in it.

Fun fact to go along with this: mossie rocketpods get almost twice as many kills per hour as nc or vs rocketpods.

Activated Node
    I'm not surprised, I don't bother pulling my Scythe if there's a fight against the TR.

I like the idea of a defensive tactics week. It's something a lot of SLs (myself included) try and do while capping points but there's a bit of room for improvement.

Now bear with me while I do a loose comparison

As someone that's played and coached rugby at a lot of different levels, we sometimes defend like an Under 11's team plays rugby - the second there's action, we pile to it. Swarm to the door that they're coming through. I'm not saying we do this all the time and I know for a fact that I'm guilty of doing this as well.

What INI do, is defend like a first team play, they have their positions and don't move unless they have to (to cover a dead person, revive, or because there is incoming fire/explosives).

7th October - Squad Cohesion / Tactical squad play week?
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick