Thread: Monitor advice

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar

Monitor advice

Hi folks. I've got an old 19" LG monitor that's still working fine, but for work purposes I'd like to add a second monitor to my workspace and for games purposes I'd like it to be a bit bigger. I'm thinking something in the 23-24" range, preferrably $200 or less. I unfortunately know jack-all about modern monitors. I knew what to look for in a CRT, but my 19" is literally the only flat panel I've ever owned. Any advice is welcome, thanks!

I assume you want 1920x1080 instead of 1680x1050?

I'd get one of the eIPS screens in that price range, e.g. ASUS' VS239H-P for $170 or the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM for $202. They're both 23" monitors but the Dell has four USB 2.0 ports and tilt, pivot, swivel and height adjustment whereas the Asus only has tilt.

That's only if I had to buy right now with $200, though. If I could wait to save up $90 I'd get ASUS' PA248Q ($290) because TFT Central just applied their typically-elaborate and thoroughgoing review process to that exact monitor just a few days ago and it looks nice. It's 1920x1200 which is 16:10 aspect ratio; imo that's nicer aesthetically than 1920x1080 (16:9). Those extra 120 vertical pixels don't sound like much but I like having them! You also get swivel, height and and pivot and four USB 3.0 ports.

Alternatively there's the older but still venerable Dell UltraSharp U2412M for $279. I'd spend the extra on the Asus just for the USB 3.0 ports. The two monitors both use the same LG panel (LM240WU8-SLA2) and have nice fit & finish.

If you have a very dark environment you could get the glossy Dell S2740L for $300 even; it's a 27" 1920x1080 monitor that's exceptionally fast if TFT Central's an accurate judge and uses a newer AH-IPS LG panel (damn this marketing jargon!). No USB 3.0, though, and back to only tilt adjustment.

There are plenty of cheaper 23/24" 1080p TN screens with better response times, but you won't need 'em unless you're a hyper-competitive FPS player (and they come with crap viewing angles anyway).
    Last edited by Jambe; 08-08-2013 at 05:22 AM.
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

I agree with Jambe, I used to have a 1920 x 1200 monitor a while back and it looked great, definately noticeably better than a 1080p. I've always only had Samsung monitors, so can only recommend those, but their 23"s are pretty cheap and you should find one for that price.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I bought an LG IPS 234V last year - it cost 120 in the UK (which is about $175 with taxes) and it's lovely...

It has DVI, HDMI and VGA inputs and an audio out (for the HDMI) - it's 1920x1080 - it's ONLY downside is a slightly cheap-and-flimsy stand but at least it tilts, many do not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I have a U2412M (I think it was 220) and it is completely lovely, for that reason I'm going to replace my three aged Samsung 226BWs with U2312HMs as soon as is practical (probably Christmas). At least that's the idea. In other words, get a Dell Ultrasharp.

Obscure Node
    I'm looking to buy a 27" monitor for around 400 and the best one I can see reviewed is the 'Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM AH IPS 27 inch' but there are quite a few user reviews giving it one star due to all sorts of bleeding issues on the lower left corner. Are there any good alternatives to this model or do you know if this is a wide issue or just a small percentage?

BenQ XL2411T

Approved by Quake players. And these folks are picky when it comes to gaming monitors!

Obscure Node
    This subject always surprised me. People will spend a fortune on a PC and then try and skimp on the monitor (and I'm not saying your doing that OP, you could just be broke like most of us are. lol). Regardless, I'll agree with some of the other posters that you should stick with an IPS or eIPS monitor (I do come from a graphics background so I'll admit to being biased in this regard). I'd also strongly suggest buying a 1920x1200 monitor (or more specifically, a 16:10 ratio). Why you might ask? Because 16:9 was made for a movie theater, not for viewing and managing things on a PC. I hate the tiny thin strip of viewing area 16:9 panels give you. Honestly one of the best things going for the iPad is the wisdom of sticking with the 4:3 panel shape. Its vastly more friendly for most media consumption then 16:9 is.

Quote Originally Posted by bp_968 View Post
    I'd also strongly suggest buying a 1920x1200 monitor (or more specifically, a 16:10 ratio). Why you might ask? Because 16:9 was made for a movie theater, not for viewing and managing things on a PC. I hate the tiny thin strip of viewing area 16:9 panels give you. Honestly one of the best things going for the iPad is the wisdom of sticking with the 4:3 panel shape. Its vastly more friendly for most media consumption then 16:9 is.
    This. 16:10 is infinitely better than 16:9, just a shame it gives you less choice.

Obscure Node
    I find 16:9 to be fine. Honestly the biggest thing for me is the 120hz refresh or higher.