Secondary Hivemind Nexus

What is it with me and noisy PSUs

The Corsair 430M I put into this PC about 6 weeks ago has already started to rattle - it's definately the PSU fan and it gets worse as the PSU gets hotter.

I doubt it's going to explode anytime soon but it's bloody annoying - moreso because the old PSU did the same thing for about 2 years before it exploded - and the one before that had a rattle too (but those 2 both stopped if you rocked the case slightly - the new one isn't so easily fooled).

I'd say you'd be safe putting money on the Coolermaster I've just put in whilst this Corsair is RMAed developing some noise or other before I get yet another PSU.

That said - the 'modular' PSU was a mistake anyway - I need all 4 of the cables it comes with which means the case looked like an explosion in a wire factory - it's MUCH tidier with a plain-old non-modular...

Ugh, noisy components are the worst. I got a Geforce 670 which turned out to have the most high-pitched fan of anything I've ever heard, ramping up to Concorde-takeoff levels under load. It's not so much the noise (any actual sound from the computer is enough to drown it out) but the squeaky, teeth-on-edge shrillness of it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Solution: Seasonic. 'Nuff said.

Funny you should mention that now. My own PSU fan started making a noise this week after I vacuumed some of the dust out of the outflow vent. It's definitely brushing up to something now. I poked at the fan a little bit with something that could fit through the fan guard - even though I knew that's almost always a bad idea - and it diminished a bit, but under load it starts making the same noise again. The PSU is an Antec, and the fan has been quiet as a mouse the whole time I've had it. On the other hand, it seems to produce a small bit of coil whine, which was infuriating on the cheap-shit PSU I originally had, but it's hardly noticable with this one.

I could remove the screws from the fan guard to see if I can find if there's anything in the way without having to touch the warranty sticker, but that's a lot of work for such a small problem...

Obscure Node
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/550w-...2v-fan-atx-v23

Mine doesn't rattle. If it did, I'd probably murder something.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    Solution: Seasonic. 'Nuff said.
    QFT. They're the best (along with Flextronics, but you pay even more for their wares).
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

You can also get Seasonic CPU's with different stickers on there, they appear to sell or license their designs. I've a Corsair TX650W that is made by Seasonic.

My Corsair GS800 rarely bothers to turn it's fan on.
    When it does it's quiet.

I'm well overclocked and SLI'd.
    Bad luck fellah.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    You can also get Seasonic CPU's with different stickers on there, they appear to sell or license their designs. I've a Corsair TX650W that is made by Seasonic.
    All PSUs from brands like Antec, Corsair, OCZ, and XFX are produced by other companies (OEMs). I'd say a clear majority of retail PSUs are rebranded that way.

Corsair used to be CWT and Seasonic only, now they're also sourcing from Enhance and maybe others too. XFX gets all their PSUs from Seasonic. Antec has several Seasonic-made units... Seasonic is generally pretty popular when it comes to high-end PSUs. Though Delta, FSP and others can make equally great PSUs when they're in the mood for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Update: the fan on this Coolermaster is silent (and moves a LOT more air than the Corsair one did) but the PSU itself "ticks"

You can only hear it when your head is close to it - it's not audible from my chair (thankfully) but it's there and it's not the fan (I stopped the fan to check that).

Oh - and dusting the fan by pushing a soft brush in to catch the blades is fine - it's fixed 'noises' on PSUs in the past for me. I realise it probably hastens wear on the bearings/motor but so does dragging a tonne of dust around...

p.s. the Corsair is now in a 'bottom up' case instead of the 'top down' one it was before and it seems quieter. It's 2 weeks from 6 months old tho so I've raised an RMA ticket for it, we'll see what happens (it's risky because postage will be about 15-20% of it's value).

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    All PSUs from brands like Antec, Corsair, OCZ, and XFX are produced by other companies (OEMs). I'd say a clear majority of retail PSUs are rebranded that way.

Corsair used to be CWT and Seasonic only, now they're also sourcing from Enhance and maybe others too. XFX gets all their PSUs from Seasonic. Antec has several Seasonic-made units... Seasonic is generally pretty popular when it comes to high-end PSUs. Though Delta, FSP and others can make equally great PSUs when they're in the mood for it.
    Delta make great laboratory power supplies, so I think their desktop PSUs also have a chance to be great.

there are no PSU's out there under $35 that are worth a damn. you simply cannot skimp on the PSU.

Seasonic, XFX (which is a rebranded Seasonic), Corsair & Antec make quality PSU's

the OP's Corsair 430 is what i put in my sons pc, it is on the loud side...but stable. the Corsair 500W is much quieter and maybe $5 more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just a quick update - given that it's fine in the new case I didn't RMA the Corsair - might be a mistake on my behalf but 2 lots of postage in the event they don't class the PSU as faulty would be worse-still.

Whilst I agree that better-made PSUs exist, I'm not sure their pricetag is always the best guide.

As people have said, most PSUs are rebranded and often the same 'outer brand' conceals multiple inner-brands.

I'm also happier with my 'if it weighs a lot it's probably decent' test - but then someone will post that review where they discovered a cheap PSU had a cement block in it to make it feel heavy :)

One final note - the modular nature of that Corsair is dumb - the config of the cables means you'll probably need all 4 modular cables anyway and they amount to a TONNE of wiriing overall.