Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

(Rock) Papers, Please (Shotgun)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    When the second bombing happened (not a spoiler, happens early in the beta) I caught myself thinking 'why do these people have to cause trouble' inconveniencing me by cutting my day short. It was a bit scary, because I sure as hell inconvenienced some of them by cutting their lives short.

The Steam poster seems to forget your family is on the line, and to save them we can justify just about anything.

The game makes people think about these things. That's the greatest achievement of Papers, Please.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    It's a masterpiece... mostly. For something so deceptively simple it's still quite complex. It makes what should be a fairly mundane and systematic task interesting. The various personalities that walk through your checkpoint just add to the environment, along with the entire political intrigue and personal plot distracting you from your day-to-day task. Towards the end (trying to avoid spoilers here) I started questioning whether I did the right thing by playing the hard-line approach to border protection, ignoring sob stories and strictly applying the rules. It triggered a change of heart.

It's a brilliant game and it exemplifies what I think most "art" games miss - it's an actual game that also carries a strong message or tone, as opposed to being a message that someone tried to disguise as a game (and failed).
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Wow. I've just finished my first playthrough, and man, I was so relieved when I got a good ending right when I thought things were going to unravel. It felt really good, and it had been a while since a game made me feel that way.

As for the original point, I'm not going to judge other people - I did try to play the game as if it were me in that situation, as much as I could actually *place* myself in such a situation, of course. Which meant that while I generally followed procedure, I tried to slip in some good deeds whenever I could, and I [SPOILER]did help Ezic, except when they asked me to kill people. I also didn't let the father murder the serial killer.[SPOILER].

There was one really heartbreaking moment when [SPOILER]the green guard was killed in an attack the very next day after I let his lover through :( I'm not sure if I was too slow to react to the attack or if this was scripted.[SPOILER].

Now I think I'll see what happens when I play a ruthless guy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Now play to all 20 endings. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    There was one really heartbreaking moment when [SPOILER]the green guard was killed in an attack the very next day after I let his lover through :( I'm not sure if I was too slow to react to the attack or if this was scripted.[SPOILER].
    From memory with my playthrough it's possible that he survives, but he gets posted to another checkpoint. At least I don't recall him dying.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

I hated myself when I accidentally stamped the big red DENIED on a passport when I was trying to reach for the other one. Too much Kolechians, I guess
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I can't decide if I like this game or not. It's weird but the stuff you do is what would bore me to death if it was a real job. I think knowing there is some narrative going on and the fact that a day is really really short is what makes it tolerable. But I find myself getting better at the "job" (knowing the countries' symbols and issuing cities, for example) just like you would in real life.

I'm wondering if there is any player agency once shit starts to hit the fan, or do I just approve/deny entrants the whole time?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Haven't played the game but dat thread.

a Soviet-esque dystopian society
    Reminds me very much how people working for SS or Stasi or KGB were saying on their trials.
    If people said "screw you, Stalin" or "screw you, Hitler" at a good point in history, we wouldn't have millions people killed and tortured.
    You'd be the perfect inspector in soviet russia.
    especially during the reign of and after the fall of the USSR, which seem to be what this game is based around. To stand up as say "I won't do these things! they are wrong! I would rather die!" and be shot dead on the spot
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post

The Steam poster seems to forget your family is on the line, and to save them we can justify just about anything.
    This ^

These sort of regimes often use your family as leverage.

All my family died and I was put in prison until they payed my debt off (their dead ¬¬)
    Last edited by Lone Gunman; 12-08-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Am I a bad person if I wait till it becomes a Daily Deal? Probably.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I've gone through what I think is the best moral ending with all the little collectibles. Now I'm trying for a cold bureaucratic asshole who gets off on the sound of that denial stamp. It's really difficult though, listening to the new responses. Some scream and curse, others accept their lot and offer a sympathetic comment, which really just makes it feel worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshada View Post
    Am I a bad person if I wait till it becomes a Daily Deal? Probably.
    Yes. It's this year's Indi sensation, on par with FTL and Hotline Miami.

It looks like a game I'd enjoy playing for a couple of hours but there doesn't seem to be much to keep me there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I can't decide how I want to play this. I don't know enough about the Arstotzkan regime from what little I've played, as far as I can tell from my little booth it's terrorists = bad atm.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

I started off helping out people who genuinely seemed in trouble, but when that backfired I put myself in a "I'm just doing my job here, just looking out for my family" kind of mentality and completely ignored people's pleas for help. Am I a bad person?

I feel horrible sometimes playing this game... It is truly a piece of art.

But sometimes I fell some bad design on a few situations. Like i.e., I stamp DENIED, give the papers back and then the person tells: "You just killed me!".

Why didn't you say before I gave the documents back?!
    Why don't I have an option to get the document back and approve the person?!

any of you guys have any idea about that 'cult' guy and the lady that passed me that weird looking card? they said they'll help me but it looks like all of my family died instead
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Banned
    Papers, Please is a perfect example of the kind of games that I hate the most. A simplistic, cheap crap that only gets recognition because of either the art style, or the subject matter.

It's like making a Tetris clone but replacing the blocks with bodies of dead Jews. And then you're internet superstar because oh my, controversy and that's so thought provoking! Yeah, except it's still just a Tetris clone and Tetris sucks ass.

Making a crap game with "art" or "message" is literally the easiest thing to do in gaming after making just a plain crap game, and I spit in the general direction of people who get excited about it.

I like Tetris.