Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Oh, gee, thanks for that. Now I'll probably find loads of similar videos and end up sleeping at 2AM or something. :P

Either way, I was thinking about this and how it could actually make for quite an interesting game..
    Here's a rough GUI mockup with stupid scrollbars and sizing issues because Matisse was being a dick.
    Two players go head-to-head in a real-time, time-based programming challenge. A simple goal is given to both players, and they'll have to code out a program within the allotted time period. Once the time is up, both programs are ran and tested for correctness. Whichever program passes the most unit tests 'wins' the round, and points are awarded according to the number of unit tests passed, the time it took to come up with a solution, the number of characters needed, and the number of test runs used by a programmer.

Each programmer only has write access to his own coding subscreen, yet he'll be able to look at the other programmer's progress. No pasting from an external source is allowed, so no hiding your code from your opponent and then pasting all of it in there at the last second.

It might be fun. Maybe. :P

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Megagun View Post
    Each programmer only has write access to his own coding subscreen, yet he'll be able to look at the other programmer's progress. No pasting from an external source is allowed, so no hiding your code from your opponent and then pasting all of it in there at the last second.
    Add in another subscreen where you can attack your opponent by recoding his GUI on the fly, such as to mess up the scrollbars or add sizing issues.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Megagun View Post
    It might be fun. Maybe. :P

I don't think it will be fun, but could be interesting as a exersice. Take two programmers, force then to make this, then have a comentator comment the different styles and how different programmer solve the problems. Maybe make so the commentator could skip time, so is not realtime commenting.

Anyway this is pure weirdness... I checked that Notch channel, then moved to something else,... and I am programmer.

I was seriously considering creating a game out of this based on Befunge, complete with attacks (thanks, icu!) such as 'scramble grenades' that change random characters around, a 'DVORAK-izer' that temporarily changes the opponents' keyboard layout to DVORAK, and more random sillyness...

..and then I remembered that Deus Ex: Human Revolution would unlock in (at the moment) 1 day and a few hours...

What a shame