Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the answers guys.

Quote Originally Posted by harakka View Post
    As a general note, it would be appreciated if absolutely everyone would have the CC shortcut keys set up, so they can easily take over team lead if needed. It's a war out there, people tend to die.
    I am in agreement because I found myself in that very situation last night. I was in Echo squad for Lead Stocks, and halfway through the mission our FTL got killed. The game promoted me to FTL and I didn't realise it for a full 15 minutes. Luckily one of the other guys in our squad had CC set up so he took command.

I'll have CC set up at the next session for sure.

Activated Node
    I and Slerbal (I think it was Slerbal) had CC set up but he'd got assigned command by the game earlier. Then he went down and got revived again so I assumed he was still command.

Also, STHud is invaluable for keeping a fireteam together and maintaining formations, if anybody doesn't already have it I highly recommend downloading and installing it.

Would it be too much lag to have a non-adversarial tank battle? In my head I'm imagining a coop with all sorts of armoured vehicles, including AA vehicles and helicopters.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    I and Slerbal (I think it was Slerbal) had CC set up but he'd got assigned command by the game earlier. Then he went down and got revived again so I assumed he was still command.

Also, STHud is invaluable for keeping a fireteam together and maintaining formations, if anybody doesn't already have it I highly recommend downloading and installing it.
    It is true - I had CC set up. STHUD is a great mod to run - though you will need CBA as well. I enjoyed Tuesday's session - I've been playing ARMA2 since release and still love it to bits. It is great to see DayZ bringing in more folks for ARPS.

I spent the whole of Greenola as Deputy Commander for OPFOR hiding at the top of some stairs. I heard the chinooks, heard the fighting, got the comms chatter and never saw a single enemy. And yet... it was awesome! :)

Thanks for a great evening lads!

Slerbal

It was a rather great evening. I missed the first two missions, but still had a lot of fun.

River assault - managed to stay alive during the whole mission, but was mostly useless. Shot some RPGs on buildings because I had a lot of ammo. Also saw a rabbit.
    Viva Pinata - I wasn't sure that it really happened, but apparently it did, and, as the videos show, it was magical.
    Smile for the camera - I shot a lot of things from a helicopter and felt manly.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeTheMonkey View Post
    Would it be too much lag to have a non-adversarial tank battle? In my head I'm imagining a coop with all sorts of armoured vehicles, including AA vehicles and helicopters.
    I don't see lag being an issue. The issue is that someone needs to make the mission and make it interesting for all involved. Get on it, mythical someone! (Or don't quite yet, there's a new F2 build comin')
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

Quote Originally Posted by harakka View Post
    I don't see lag being an issue. The issue is that someone needs to make the mission and make it interesting for all involved. Get on it, mythical someone! (Or don't quite yet, there's a new F2 build comin')
    I'd say get on it now, because it's been released!

[AAR] Folk [Sun] 10 June 2012 (New ORBAT)

Cross-posting from the official AAR thread in the Folk forum (please please cross-post):

Quote Originally Posted by fer
    Missions:
    • Flask (expanded)
    • UNnecessary Violence
    • Internecine II

Once more our numbers were good (above 40 for much of the session), and again the session itself ran to just under 3 hours. Importantly, tonight saw us use the new platoon ORBAT in the first two coop missions. From where I was (mostly in the dead channel), things seemed to go pretty smoothly - but myself and all of the hosts are keen to get your impressions of the new layout and comms set-up. We hope it cut down the comms noise for most guests, and made life easier for FTLs - but we'd like to hear from you. Yes, you. And you.

But not you, comrade Tigershark. You've said quite enough already.

Also, some very quick requests for threads that you should read (and follow) if you haven't already:

As always, thank you to all comrades who came along tonight, and helped make the session enjoyable. And apologies to comrade Gustav, my commander in the last mission, who I shot. And shot again. And again and again and again. Until I was quite sure that he was dead. Before asking 'Is command up?'

:siiigh:

Activated Node
    Will crosspost when I figure out my password.

AAR - the bad ver.

Flask
    Alpha lead: Nullkigan
    Alpha 1: Tigershark
    AR: IceRaiser
    AAR?: Doge
    AT?: Chief

We moved up on a ridge, saw nothing, moved up one the next ridge, saw a squad moving behind the next ridge.
    Got OK to pursue them, caught up and stood about 10m from them >.<
    Engaged them and got flanked from the left(south?).
    Comrades Cheif and Doge bit the bullet(s).

Me and Tiger moved up to an overwatch position of the village, supported Bodge's squad that was moving up by the old art of magically giving the enemies leadpoisoning.
    Village was clear so we started moving down the slope when I heard the unforgiving sound of an RPG.
    It hit my knee, I died.

Tiger spent the next few minutes running around like Bambi screaming "Ice?! IIIIICE!?!? ICE YOU THERE?!?!" :,(

UNessessary voilence

Bravo Lead: Bodge
    Bravo 2: Harakka
    AR: IceRaiser
    AAR: Kataras
    RPG: Flyer

Drive to Firuz Berhav(?) Harakkas order: "stand here out in the open and wait to be shot at".
    He changed his mind after a minute and we ran to a mountain.
    Then we ran to the "greenzone".
    Then we ran a bit further.
    Then the M113 got a SPG to the kn-..side and blew up. The BMP2(Gong2?) followed his comrade into a firey death shortly after.

We spent a few minutes waiting for orders (I almost fell asleep spooning with kataras...)
    Then we got the order to run up to the villa and all hell broke loose;
    Harakka got shot in the knee(fo' realz!), Flyer died like 2secs after. Bodge got wounded, an engineer died.

Then The Btr-youcan'tkillme-60 killed me and kataras :,(

Fuelraid

CO: Bodge
    FTL: Pummage
    IceRaiser
    Black mamba
    Alone+easy target

My game crashed, stuck on waiting for host...
    got in, everyone stuck, Fer announced a restart.

Internecine 2

CO: Bodge
    FTL: Pummage
    IceRaiser
    Black mamba
    Alone+easy target

Went south to cover that aproach, then up to town to help Bravo(?), into town and Alone killed some dudes,
    Pummage and Mamba got killed, me and Alone grabbed a building each and hid.
    I peeked out and saw Fer trying to look like a bush.
    He did a bad job. ^.^

Obscure Node
    My laptop ruined my and my teammates game experience, as it kept shutting down during the missions.

I would like to give some feedback on the communication, however:

1) From my point of view as an FTL, it didn't drastically change anything. Bare with me before you crucify me: I was in a teamspeak channel with at least one other fireteam, only FTLs used Teamspeak, while commands were distributed through CC. I guess if I turned CC off as an FTL I would only need to listen to my SQL and activate CC if I need to take over the squad.

2) I think the new system is better, because command probably needs to deal with with less FTLs, since the SQLs are taking care of it. So instead of shouting orders to 6-7 FTLs like last time, tonight saw CO giving orders to 2-3 SQLs. Makes CC cleaner

3) I don't want to complain, I will just leave this as a comment: Until I learn whose voice is who, understanding if people are talking on CC or TS is a nightmare. The worst part is, if someone talks on TS and then I reply on CC, and they didn't hear me (because e.g. that FTL doesn't have CC up or active), I have to repeat the command on TS while CC is confused at what I just said. It's not a mess, but it's a bit clogged in the beginning. After a while, I learn the voices of the relevant FTLs, SQLs and CO and it becomes smooth again.

I think this new system is clean and practical to deal with the numbers that the sessions begin to attract. I know it may not seem like it, but this post is actually positive feedback, in favour of the system.

Obscure Node
    ==CROSSOVER POST FROM THE FOLK FORUMS==

Missed the first mission. No report.

UNnecessary Violence

MAT minion for Nim. Attachment for Bravo Squad. Hopped in the ural with Bravo Squad and Bravo M113 behind us... or was. The driver of Bravo M113 disconnected causing slight confusion. JimTheDog took over the m113 and followed the ural later on.

Got to the location, nothing much happened. Moved ahead, big giant explosions near Alpha, Bravo FTL order everyone to get out the ural, we all hit the deck and... nothing much. We walked just incase of more explosions. Lots of walking. Spotted a BRDM 600 metres away, it drove off, no clear sight for my MAT leader.

We moved along. Another explosion, hit the deck, again no enemies nearby. Carried on... Wolf's M113 was awfully close to Bravo and BOOM! Bigger explosion connected with Wolf's M113.

Hit the deck, heard over the comms Wolf's M113 was down and hit needing medical assistance. Decided to help, dragged the corpses, used global instead of direct by accident, provided some help... it was clear. For a moment.

INCOMING ROCKETS towards my location, decided to run to the hill to see if I can spot them. Turns out I couldn't but did spot a group of enemies heading towards Alpha's position. Gave Alpha a heads up via side channel while marking position. We proceeded towards the villa via the dried river banks.

Bravo was pretty far ahead, had to catch up. Suddenly, spotted a crawl enemy aiming towards Bravo. Popped the fucker with 3 rounds of FN FAL before he could attack. Lucky for Bravo. Moved ahead, waited for Alpha to get into position, took out 2 more enemies and then Bravo ordered us to take out the BRDM inside the villa. I got Nim's back, we fired 2 rockets. They did connect but the BRDM was still alive. I got shot providing cover for Nim.

Turns out that the BRDM can take more than 4 rockets to die. Bugger me. Gong managed to take it down though. Everyone charged and Black Mamba scored a kill on Aziz. This was only Objective 1. Very long mission...

Internecine II

OpFor Charlie Leader. Adversarial. In charge of charlie, we had to flank the independent on the right side via a "pincer" movement with Echo while Alpha and Bravo were on the left side. It was all going good until the enemy AT decided to say "Hello" with rockets. 3 of them infact. Told everyone to leg it, one of the members got hit, we were down to 3 behind a building with gunfire towards our direction.

My comrade Capers informed me there was an enemy on the roof. I told the squad the plan: We crawl on the stomachs and shoot at the enemies. So we did... I took a bullet in the legs and was dying. Told Capers and Spec to carry on without me. I started singing and died. The medic was rubbish.

Bodge, you are one sneaky ninja. (insert icon of a masked smiley with a rifle)

Overall: Very long session.

The Communications: I approve. Did made things more simple and less complex.

[AAR] Folk [Sun] 17 June 2012 (Zeus comes to tea)

Cross-posting from the official AAR thread in the Folk forum (please please cross-post):

Quote Originally Posted by fer
    Missions:
    • Into the sea
    • Shilkas of Nur
    • Crateresistance

Again, our numbers were ~45 and the session lasted looong past the official 2 hours - so, many thanks for everyone who came along tonight! Particular thanks to our comrades from Zeus, who decided to join us for a spot of Sunday night killing. Great to see some new faces (Danny) and returning faces (Car00ke) too.

It was a shame the server died an hour or so into Bodge's new mission, Into the sea, so I apologise to everyone for the way that (successful) combined arms mission was cut short after we had cleared Berezino. In nearly 2 years I think we've had less than a handful of server crashes, but we'll investigate and see if there's anything we can learn from the logs etc.

:science101:

As always, the hosts hope you enjoyed the session and ask that you share your thoughts / experiences here if you can. We hope to see you again next week, and also in our sister session, ARPS's Tactical Tuesday.

:hist101:

Into the Sea ~ Missed it.

Shilkas of Nur ~ Missed it by 5 minutes.

Crateresistance ~ Fox 1 FTL. We advanced cache A, ran into some resistance, 1 (Me) and 3 (Calculon) went down. 2 (Tigershark) and 4 (Alone) got us back up, but we stalled a bit there while I waited for word from our CO on what to do next. Echo and Delta were both wiped out ahead of us, but we advanced none the less. We ran right into the guy(s) who had killed Echo and Delta. I took another hit, but my guys managed to murder the enemy and get me back up again-again. Alpha was getting hit pretty hard, Bravo and Charlie moved in to support them, and Fox (We) continued to advance on the right. Someone blew the Cache, much merriment was had. We reformed on our CO, and started to move toward cache B. We hit the edge of the wooded area we had just cleared, and started to move along a hedgerow to the north. Then we all got shot in the face. To be continued.

Into the Sea
    -Alpha Squad Medic
    Started out a little slow as we waited for the convoy to unfudge itself (always seems to happen with vehicular missions). After a brief “good old fashioned Warrior IFV singsong”™ we moved out.

Pushing forward we made contact with the enemy and flanked into the the woods above Berizino to support the IFV’s. After a sporadic firefight we pushed on to the outskirts of town where, after a brief stop to pick up stragglers we engaged enemy patrols around the strong hold.

It was all going so well until <CENSORED> the Russian nuked us.

Shilkas of Nur
    - Engineer Squad
    Drakkon and I rode with Command up to our planned RV with Alpha and Bravo. Somehow Bravo overshot the marker and was heavily engaged by OPFOR.

From that point on we did a lot of running, a little fixing, some more running and just a tiny bit of blue-on-blue trying to grab some trucks so that we could avoid running some more…

Best moment for me was watching Drakkon chasing a BRDM up a hill trying to knock it out with a GL whilst laughing manically.

Apparently we won (thanks Delta!).

Crateresistance
    -Commander Blufor
    After being, very politely, volunteered into command (Thanks Fer!) I figured that, as we always split forces to take on caches, we would advance as a platoon on a single cache and overwhelm them.

The concept was sound (Indy had no idea what hit them and resistance at the first cache was minimal) but my execution was pants (I failed to keep the outlying Delta, Echo and Fox in line).

The first cache fell quickly and I sent Alpha up to scout the Indy positions on route to B cache. When they were compromised I attempted to push the remaining forces forward to try and relieve them, giving us a chance to fall back to the treeline, but was hit.

This gave me a grandstand seat for the ensuing cat and mouse game where Calculon became my new hero by blowing the final cache.

Most certainly a win despite, rather than due to, my leadership.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Into the Sea
    -Bravo Squad Medic

Followed Gustav around for a while until the first IFV managed to get blown up and i heroically rescued the crew. Later the third IFV got blown up too and I rescued them as well. Even later i heroically patched ConcreteOtter up while under fire when suddenly a burst of lightning blinded me. That was the last thing I saw.

Shilkas of Nur
    - BSL
    Bravo took the ridge shortly after the Alpha and Charlie in their vehicles to watch them get blown to smithereens. We secured the area to the West and Northwest, got rid of the Shilka and moved on to the next staging position. While pressuring on, I lost half of my squad to the Shilka (later I found out that we were sacrificed so whoever took the shot wouldn't be engaged by the Shilka!). We pressured on but were cut down one by one in the trees by an unknown assailant. I was lying wounded on the floor when my team left me. As I inquired them to return and fix me ("Oh? We thought you were dead!") I bled out.

Poor Nullkigan:

Crateresistance
    - Alpha Squad Lead - Independent

As Bravo got engaged we moved into a flanking position where we effectively cut down at least four of the enemy. I got shot promptly afterwards but we managed to stall BLUFOR's assault rather effectively. Here's how it looked from spectator mode:

Comments on Vehicles:
    Overall it was a very enjoyable session but the delays we experienced because of transports/vehicles were (and always are) a bit annoying. Imho we should focus more on doing what we've done best so far, and that's Infantry-focused engagements with IFVs (and the occasional heavier vehicle/helicopter) used (if at all) as attached weapon-platforms, not transports. Maybe a few ground-rules like "AT drives, AAR guns" on armed light vehicles might help as well but generally I prefer if the majority of the players start in walking distance of angry bullets.

[AAR] Tactical Tuesday 2012-06-19 - Old and rusty, but surely trusty

Glorious session tonight! We did the following all-opfor/ind missions:
    • With a chance of Hail (v2) Early morning assault on fortified positions in forested areas on Chernarus
    • Convoi Polloi (v4) Sexy assault on convoy near Sakhe, Takistan.
    • Zargabaddies (SE v2) Non-standard two pronged "pinch of death" across fields and towns in Zargabad.

Thank you one and all for good times.

Streamed the first two missions, might stream all i play from now on since it's more convenient
    than recording and then uploading.

With chance of Hail
    http://youtu.be/5dacDJ-w_kY
    http://twitch.tv/brnin8r/b/321995906

Convoy Polloi
    http://youtu.be/jjWOvMFjw-4
    http://twitch.tv/brnin8r/b/321999687

the random freezes are me alt+tabbing btw :/
    Last edited by Brnin8r; 20-06-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Obscure Node
    With a chance of Hail (First of, that mortar intro? Bang on tidy that.)
    MAT 1 Leader. Joined forces with the other attachment squads (with no medic). We all flanked the right side, hiding among the forests and tree lines. My comrade Capers managed to spot the Dskhm near the house with his binoculars after I friendly fired Joesph in the back (SORRY!). Enemies taken out, we proceeded to the house.

Enemies nearby, fired the rocket at them more than once then aimed at the techie. With the enemy dead, we proceeded to the first camp. Lots of enemies died, me and my comrade crawled towards the campsite. Managed to score a good shot.

Got hit by a stray enemy, medic nearby patched me, didn't work, capers patched me, sort of worked. Moved to the second camp, too heavy, proceeded to third camp. My task? Take out the ZU (big fuck off anti air gun). I waited for command... and waited. Fired and OH DEAR I SEEM TO MISS AND DIED.
    It was recorded as well with at least 30 people dead watching my movement. Oh bugger nuts.Convoi Polloi

SABOTEUR of the explosive kind. Thanks to the teleport mechanic, me and null managed to plant 1 mine each and 2 satchels on the main road. We hid in the houses nearby and waited for roughly 15 minutes.

Suddenly, explosions. One of the mines managed to get a tank.

However, the enemy convoy had a different idea: Splitting up. Drove away to the mountainside causing trouble to all the comrades. Also, there was one BTR which was blown up but still had an active driver inside it. Walked upto it and said "Hello". I was met with bullet from a BMP2 miles away up the mountain. I died.

And then everyone had a merry ol' jig and breakdancing while waiting for the mission to finish.

Zargabaddies

Bravo Bravo 2 Assistant Machinegunner aka Meatbag Scouter. Everyone in Bravo piled up in MTVR except for Bravo's Alpha squad who took command of APC. We were driven into a nearby town, departed, we were preparing. And then Iceraiser died?

I was the meatbag scouter meaning I was the first to scout and die if shit hits the fan. Surprisingly, I didn't get killed... yet. We were dodging towards the walls, spotting the enemy near the petrol pump, forming up with main Alpha squad by accident, forming back up with main Bravo commander, crossing the dried river, shooting up enemies. Managed to find a SVD. Then something bad happened: T34 tank shows up.

Lucky enough, everyone fired AT upon the Tank and blew up. Managed to take down 2 of the crewmen. "Take that you bas-" Got hit by a hidden third. I was butterfly.

EVEN IN DEATH I STILL SERVE. After making a pact with a chaos god, I joined the JIP slot and formed up with my leader Harlander. This time, I was full of anger and rage. I had to fill oath by spilling blood. Managed to find a PKM and everything turned into a red bloody haze. I think I might have spent a bloody minute killing a corpse and then proceeded to rant and rave.

I went berserk. Killing more and more enemies and then suddenly, everyone was firing the guns into the air. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.

This is the first TT where I played exclusively one class, FTL. Next time I promise I'll let someone else in on it!

With a chance of Hail

I was A1 FTL with Tigershark (Codename Swaussie), Aquarius (Codename Rocketman) and BlackMamba (Codename Sugadaddy). We followed our orders from Borklund to the letter in establishing the Alpha assault through fast-moving firebases emplaced in enemy territory, quickly eliminating major armoured threats in and around the enemy settlement... By which I mean, we came up with little resistance in the town, but I lost my head to a DSHKM, and Tiger took up the reigns of FTL.

Convoi Polloi

I was FTL of Alpha 2, this time round. Unfortunately, almost as soon as the convoy arrived, my AR and AAR decided to surrender their lives to allah (they got shot) leaving me and the reclusive Dr Alexander Tobacco (codename Waffle-Iron) to take up the slack and assist the other elements of our squad in eliminating the convoy. We did well at first, taking out some armour, and hitting MMG assets who were firing upon A-SQL and A3, but after a short jog down a near verticle slope into town, the bigger, angrier enemies started showing up. Cowardly Borklund decided to conform to HQ's capitalist ideals and ordered a general retreat. Alex decided to 'cover our retreat' (disobey direct orders) and blew up a BMP2 in the process, but he died shortly afterwards. The lull in proceedings allowed the remaining members of Alpha (Me, Washington and Capernatious) to form Takistan's first synchronised ARMA team. We hope to contend in the olympics this year, representing Takistan in the Woman's triples (Wash has a great girly-voice)

Zargabaddies

Finally, I took Platoon 1 Charlie FTL, to be referred to as A3 from now on. My teammates were Specs, as AR, and (name too long to remember) Ghillie. Being, as I am, an impatient fellow, I decided to push Borklund (Alpha platoon command, also known as the capitalist coward) by repeatedly requesting spearhead positions for my fireteam, and we were often paired with Washington's 'Special Squad' (Alpha 4) in compound clearance, as well as fire and manouver operations (Running at the enemy position whilst A4 ran alongside)

Eventually, my Greyhound-like determination and drive led to my downfall. Expecting little resistance in a compound 50m to our south, I requested permission from Bork to clear them. Sounding pained and tired (Sitting on the wealth of the proletariat can get tiring, comrade!), he accepted my request, and I quickly set about moving my chaps across the road to take the compound. Unfortunately, as I peered into the corpse-mounds created by efficient fire on the part of MMG team, I saw something wriggle. It was an enemy! Fast as lightning, he became a 4 headed dragon, and devoured me whole! (I got shot by someone who I thought was a corpse)

Luckily, JIP slots were still open for latecomers and early deaths. I decided, for the last 5 minutes of the mission, to hop into one of these, and bring up some medical supplies in the form of an M113 (medivac). Arriving in time for the assault on the insurgent strong-point, I decided to use the onboard smoke launchers to lay down some cover for our guys, before being told off by wolf for not using my feet. I promptly dismounted and charged into the town, but a severe lack of resistance just displayed the thoroughness of the comrades in teams A and B in eliminating this homeland threat from the suburbs of Zargabad.

All in all, a great session.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

Activated Node
    Cowardly Borklund? Why you little...

On a more serious note, tonight was an incredible amount of fun, especially that last mission.