Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Ok, since i don't want every British to pitch for his hometown, I looked at a fair way to decide, and plane tickets seemed an obvious choice. So i did a quick check for return plane tickets on a week end.

In August : Departure from Paris

In November : Departure from Paris, Stockholm and Amsterdam

In all 4 cases, planes tickets were cheaper for London compared to Manchester. Sometimes the difference was small, and sometimes it was huge (like almost double)

So I'm sorry Dewi, but London seems to be better than Manchester for this kind of stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Ksempac: Flights to which London airport though?

Cheap flights often land in Luton. Luton isn't London. Getting from Luton to London can be quite expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I didn't know that. I checked again with Heathrow flights only. The difference is lower, but still in favor of London (and if Gatwick / Stansed / London City are OK, they are flights from Amsterdam/Stockholm cheaper than Heathrow).
    Last edited by Ksempac; 13-08-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Heathrow, Gatwick and City are all actually "London" (well ish).
    Luton and Stanstead are both further and less well served public transport wise.

The UK's pretty small too, so you can land quite a few places and be at your destination fairly quick. Liverpool airport is a pretty short transfer to Manchester. Birmingham International is about 2 hours away, probably similar is Leeds Bradford (physically closer, but connections are shit). Bham's probably a similar (time wise) journey to central london. I'd guess there are other "London-ish" options, but none occur to me right now. Southampton?)

Remember that the big price difference between London and anywhere else will be accommodation though. London hotels are silly money. They might have some reasonably competitive hostels though, anyone can confirm?

On the accomodation subject, I'm going to throw another idea out there:
    Rather than meeting in a city centre, and going off to hostels/hotels/mates houses, we could look into hiring out a great big house somewhere for the weekend, and having a party there (we could obv go out as well). Depending on numbers, we may wind up with a few more people than beds, but provided the owners are OK with that... (I know you can get places that sleep 16-20. There's also camping barns and the like)

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Rather than meeting in a city centre, and going off to hostels/hotels/mates houses, we could look into hiring out a great big house somewhere for the weekend, and having a party there (we could obv go out as well). Depending on numbers, we may wind up with a few more people than beds, but provided the owners are OK with that... (I know you can get places that sleep 16-20. There's also camping barns and the like)
    Really like that option..it would probably be a lot cheaper than hotel and it would also be a lot more fun to be together.

This sounds both incredibly awesome, and incredibly alcoholic. I approve and would like to attend. (I live within the M25 / Greater-London so am shamelessly backing London Town)
    Planetside 2 : ParaTroop
    EVE Online : Stale
    Steam : Blue_Inquisitor

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Was thinking that a house-party type booze up would be a lot cheaper (kind of hoping for someone with a castle to invite us all over). Hiring a cottage or just somewhere with a kitchen and beds is a really nice idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Much more up for this than just a boring regular 'night out'

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I don't mind slumming it if there's not enough beds, either.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    Another one? I dont remember you mentioning that before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxHcx7FO8nI
    It's part of the reason to get out of London.. too expensive and the education system is in the sewer.

Of course for old grey gits like you it's perfect

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintFillan View Post
    It's part of the reason to get out of London.. too expensive and the education system is in the sewer.

Of course for old grey gits like you it's perfect
    I'll have you know I'm one half of a DINKy setup, it's only too expensive for you and the old Walton house you have going on

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    If we're doing a massive out in the country event can we perhaps also do paintball in the woods? I also know a place we could do lasers in the woods if that would be preferable.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Also, don't slag off London education when I know where you moved to.

"Right kiddies, todays lesson is why the English are imperialist scum and we should separate as soon as possible. After this six hour class it's lunchtime, then an hour of PE and then story time. Todays story is William Wallace - The Hero that beat the English single handedly then invented the CD and became a dot com millionaire but got out before the crash because he was super duper smart."
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    Also, don't slag off London education when I know where you moved to.

"Right kiddies, todays lesson is why the English are imperialist scum and we should separate as soon as possible. After this six hour class it's lunchtime, then an hour of PE and then story time. Todays story is William Wallace - The Hero that beat the English single handedly then invented the CD and became a dot com millionaire but got out before the crash because he was super duper smart."
    Oi. How dare you diss our favourite overhyped hero. The first sentence of that paragraph is entirely accurate however. Let's just gloss over how Glasgow was built with money earned through slavery, and Scots were responsible for the Opium War with China, amongst a myriad of other Empire related sins....
    Mel Gibson should hang for that travesty of a film though, never mind the other nasty little things that nasty little man is guilty of.
    Wallace is very much an inspirational figure in Scotland though, and was so long before that Aussie fuckwit was a glint in his mother's brother's squinty little eye.
    I've been to the Wallace monument in Stirling, where his sword is exhibited. That fucking thing is HUGE (I also been to the Kelvin Art gallery which houses one of the largest collections of medieval arms and armour in Europe. The 2 handed swords there look like toothpicks compared with Wallace's weapon...snigger.). He's a hero for just being able to lift the bloody thing, never mind swing it at somebody.
    Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.
    Never Fear Love.
    DTP. Grace.

I'm very much interested in another meetup, one where it's feasible for as many of our continental brethren and sistren as possible to attend. The idea of a massive piss-up in a large building far from civilisation is ultra appealing. Being the dedicated indoors type, I'm more interested in wall to wall RPGs and table top gaming and drinking and smoking and eating and drinking and smoking.
    Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.
    Never Fear Love.
    DTP. Grace.

Quote Originally Posted by laldy View Post
    I'm very much interested in another meetup, one where it's feasible for as many of our continental brethren and sistren as possible to attend. The idea of a massive piss-up in a large building far from civilisation is ultra appealing. Being the dedicated indoors type, I'm more interested in wall to wall RPGs and table top gaming and drinking and smoking and eating and drinking and smoking.
    Brother, I can hit you uppppp. With the RPG's and boardgames I mean. I have a feeling Fiasco would go down well with you crazy dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatChance52 View Post
    Brother, I can hit you uppppp. With the RPG's and boardgames I mean. I have a feeling Fiasco would go down well with you crazy dudes.
    I would totally be down for some RPG's and would probably be able to go anywhere but November time would best for me. I'm P4riah by the way not some weird random who wants to come play RPG's in the woods...
    Planetside 2: P4riah

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I was gonna suggest renting a house. Makes sense if there are enough of us, but not too many. (More than a dozen and you really need two places...)
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I was gonna suggest renting a house. Makes sense if there are enough of us, but not too many. (More than a dozen and you really need two places...)
    I was in a place for 18 or so earlier this year (though that is sharing double beds, but it had easy enough space to squeeze in more.) Plus, there are several actual castles you can have. Will maybe take a look tomorrow (though that shouldn't preclude anyone else doing so either)

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Not sure why Luton Airport is getting hated on. Trains to St Pancras International are pretty regular, and I'd assume not viciously expensive (I travel through Luton Aiport station on way into London).

Also, Laldy's idea sounds awesome.