View Poll Results: Switch platoon 1 back to SL/RO setup ?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 75.86%
  • No

7 24.14%

Switch platoon 1 back to old coms setup

The question is simple. After last night disaster, and some previous ones that weren't good, i suggest we ditch the "whisper key talk to all platoon" setup and come back to SL/RO
    Reasons :
    - It's a great system with 2 squads, but it breaks up when you add more squads. Last night it broke hard, the previous one all Delta hide itself in Quiet Corner, etc.
    - It requires coms discipline which, let's face it, we will never have. We joke too much, we banter too much. Also we have some SL/PL who just can't stop talking.
    - SL/RO system has worked well for several months
    - Even if you need your "whisper talk to everyone" to do some specific like the 2 MLG squads, you can emulate that by having everyone in the SL channel (we've done it in the past).

This is a simple question, please answer the poll, keep your answer shorts, and don't make this yet another lengthy and nasty thread about coms
    Last edited by Ksempac; 15-08-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    By "poll" you mean, "question", since there is no actual poll (that being a thing the forum can do for you)?

Edit: never mind me. Can't see how I failed to see it... o.O

I agree, actually. It's also really simple to do, since Platoon 3 has TacGir comms. Just rename Platoon 3, platoon 1, after having renamed Platoon 1 something else first.

Would also be intrigued to try the thing CMaster suggested for tonight. I'll be sure to be playing to see how that works.

Yes I was going to add - CMaster mentioned a "direct comms" which I think he's going to pioneer this evening http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post345734

Oh yeah forgot to mention that. I'm 100% ok with trying a new coms setup. However, I would like Platoon 1 to have SL/RO, so that, by default, you have something that we know work ok.

We can try any thing we want in Platoon 2. When we feel like it, when we have people motivated to try it, we can move to Platoon 2. But the default setup should be one that works.

If Platoon 2 setup ends up being better than SL/RO and enduring the taste of time, well great, we will switch coms in Platoon 1.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Let me know when this gets actioned and I will play a lot more. Although thats probably a good reason to keep it, less me to put up with! But yeah, ive said this at great length elsewhere but the current system is like the old system except everyone has a shit time instead of just the RO.

Im not against improving the comms and the old system is not perfect, I just dont think this is an improvement on any level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Obscure Node
    I disagree with keeping Platoon 1 as SL/RO setup while Platoon 2 is used for testing, as in that case Platoon 2 is unlikely to actually be used. If we're testing something, we may as well make it the default for a while to truly test its limits, and if people don't like it they can request to move down to Platoon 2 comms instead.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Let's see how tonight pans out.

But, yeah, though I was ok with the comms setup my last experience with it was awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I thought ROs were a daft idea. Then I did some squad leading.

RPS needs ROs. As Ksempac says, we have too much banter and general chatter to make open comms viable on a platoon level. We just lack the comms discipline in command and general chat to make it work.
    Planetside 2 : ParaTroop
    EVE Online : Stale
    Steam : Blue_Inquisitor

Activated Node
    Is it a trust issue? Being a grunt means listening to your SL and trusting their decisions, who in turn trust the PL etc

Sometimes it's good to have a look at the bigger picture but I vastly prefer split comms, I have enough voices in my head already without adding more

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Do you need any help setting this up CMaster?

I agree pretty much. Great advantage was that you can talk to everyone and do Squat-related infos per Squat-comms.

The big problem is not the mass of ppl who can hear each other (in "casual" play I remember once we had about 50 ppl in one channel 2 month ago; it was really chatty then, but we have been ok with 30 to 40 ppl). The problem atm is that you dont know if you're interrupting anyone speaking in a Squat-chat

Quote Originally Posted by BowlSoldier View Post
    I disagree with keeping Platoon 1 as SL/RO setup while Platoon 2 is used for testing, as in that case Platoon 2 is unlikely to actually be used. If we're testing something, we may as well make it the default for a while to truly test its limits, and if people don't like it they can request to move down to Platoon 2 comms instead.
    I agree with Bowl, but maybe we should screw the whole system so we can do the TACGIR-Setup with every Platoon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Do you need any help setting this up CMaster?
    Yes.

I don't understand how to use sub and ~sub to properly define which channels I want to allow/disable things from.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Let's see how tonight pans out.

But, yeah, though I was ok with the comms setup my last experience with it was awful.
    I wasn't there, but apparently there was one guy using the whisperbind to talk to everyone all the time or something?

That can be solved by shouting at him to STFU and use his squad button for bullshit if his squad is bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    I wasn't there, but apparently there was one guy using the whisperbind to talk to everyone all the time or something?

That can be solved by shouting at him to STFU and use his squad button for bullshit if his squad is bored.
    It was PL to everyone, Everyone to their squad+ PL.
    There wasn't a keybind set up for someone to talk to everyone in the Platoon. That was my only criticism really.
    As a SL lastnight I found it very useful to give orders to my squad but the second keybind does the same + tells the PL.
    It means my squad is never kept out of the loop yet the PL doesn't hear anything internal such as Stick to the point! or LIGHT ASSAULT ON THE SUNDY! etc etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I believe Boris was referring to a previous night, using the PTT to everyone, for everyone comms setup.