Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Think the only way to improve clarity of reports is to consistently bring it up when someone has been unclear. Possibly explain why it was unclear, give a better example; 'alpha beacon is up', 'enemy sundy north of base'.
    I agree. Also, I'm taking this as another vote for comms discipline week. Discussion of this and other potential themes for the coming week is ongoing in the relevant thread.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    When i hear 'spawn beacon down' i always assume that the squad beacon has been destroyed, unless someone else mentioned an enemy beacon close-by.

spawn beacon up is what i'd expect to hear when it's deployed. is that weird?
    But usually it means it is deployed. It's confusing and we should stop using the word down.

General comms etiquette for game-related talk:

- Keep it succinct and specific (think about what you're saying before you say it)
    - Put banter on hold when it gets busy in-game
    - Be quiet when your SL or PL is giving order
    - "BREAK" or "BREAK BREAK" means for everyone to be quiet immediately. Respect it, and SL/PL should use it sparingly.
    - Use your squad name and number to identify yourself to others: "Bravo three needs some ammo"
    - Use the compass to give directions: "They're spawning at the north western corner of the base"
    - Define between friendly/enemy: "Friendly/Enemy Sunderer down" = lost spawn point/successful attack.
    - Do not shout out anything that sounds like orders if you are not the SL or PL: "Ok everyone get over here", "Everyone needs to redeploy to warpgate NOW". etc
    - Suggestions for alternative strategies should be offered up to the SL/PL in a supportive, friendly manner
    - Don't talk over other people
    - Don't give a running commentary on everything you're doing

At the command level:

- PL should identify themselves as command when talking to squad(s) e.g "Pl to alpha: could I get a sitrep please?"
    - Squads should identify themselves when talking to command: "Alpha have arrived at Indar comms"

Plus:
    - Generally be excellent to each other.
    - Chat and banter as much as the game will allow.

========

Not an exhaustive list, but a general idea. It's all really basic stuff that requires very little effort on each person's part to achieve. It clears up the game-related chatter so that there is more space for banter, will very probably make us more efficient play-wise, and will likely help any new comms setup we try to work much better.

The one thing that really needs to happen here is for us to actually reinforce it. We all agree on stuff that need to happen on the forums and in our outfit meetings, and then see none of it being reinforced (at least not very often, or by only one or two people here and there). We need to a dedicated push from the regulars to a) try to do it themselves, b) to friendly remind/gently nag other people to keep to the comms etiquette and c) to encourage those people to remind others (including you) too. It's only by doing this that things become habit and being 'just the way that RPS does things'. I don't mean shout at people or turn this into something regimented, I mean a 'please use your squad name and number when you need something so we can find you more quickly!' when people aren't sticking to what we should do. A theme week would be a great start to that, but like the squad cohesion etc, it needs to be something we reinforce constantly beyond that week, so that it sticks.

When i hear 'spawn beacon down' i always assume that the squad beacon has been destroyed, unless someone else mentioned an enemy beacon close-by.

spawn beacon up is what i'd expect to hear when it's deployed. is that weird?
    No, that's exactly right. Frankly I think it's idiotic to wage a campaign against the word "down", it is the context that either makes it easy to understand or ambiguous. If it's going to be ambiguous, use another word, but if not, "down" is fine.

Comms Discipline Week gets my vote. Like "Squad Cohesion Week" and "Follow your Fucking Orders Week", these are things we should be doing all the time anyway, imo.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    But usually it means it is deployed. It's confusing and we should stop using the word down.
    why would it mean that it's deployed? -.-
    we set it down on the ground, but i basically think that we're referring to the function of the beacon, so down (offline/destroyed) and up (online/deployed) seem perfectly logical to me.

anyway, i like that this thread exists. comms discipline has been a longstanding issue, and for this to get fixed we need to be consistent about how we want things done. i think wally's and sino's lists are great, and bringing stuff up in the day to day comms will hopefully lead to more people being aware of why "Sundy to the East" is not a good way of giving intel.

things like dealing with comms overload by SLs or in the RO channels are a different issue, but i think we could probably be less tactful there and just call it out when things get out of hand, as most of the people that are in those roles are vets.

why would it mean that it's deployed? -.-
    we set it down on the ground, but i basically think that we're referring to the function of the beacon, so down (offline/destroyed) and up (online/deployed) seem perfectly logical to me.

anyway, i like that this thread exists. comms discipline has been a longstanding issue, and for this to get fixed we need to be consistent about how we want things done. i think wally's and sino's lists are great, and bringing stuff up in the day to day comms will hopefully lead to more people being aware of why "Sundy to the East" is not a good way of giving intel.

things like dealing with comms overload by SLs or in the RO channels are a different issue, but i think we could probably be less tactful there and just call it out when things get out of hand, as most of the people that are in those roles are vets.
    Down as in "I've put the beacon down." Which means it is available.

It has been an issue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I've been as guilty as anyone of saying "I've put a spawn beacon down" and "Our beacon is down" and meaning two different things. I've been starting to use "beacon is up" a lot more lately, and it seems to work alright.

Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post

General comms etiquette for game-related talk:

list of great things
    Yeah, this was a great list! Let's make sure it gets into the comms discipline week kick-off post.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    Think before engaging mouth.
    This, in 72 point bold, flashing up on the screen of every outfit member every time they log into the game, would be nice!

To add something less flippant and more constructive, I think that Listening is the other side of effective communication that is far too seldom mentioned in these discussions.

Obviously those commanding have to actively listen by the nature of the job; I do, however, think there's a tendency when grunting for people to zone out as they concentrate on the game, before hitting push to talk on instinct to talk AT the channel rather than TO it...

Some cardinal rules on this front: check who are PL / SLs when you log in; if you don't know them, listen out for their voices and learn to recognise them; keep listening for those voices so you can quickly cut the chatter when they start talking orders etc.

Quote Originally Posted by protorp View Post
    To add something less flippant and more constructive, I think that Listening is the other side of effective communication that is far too seldom mentioned in these discussions.
    Good point. But as we are really chatty most time, it can be hard to concentrate both on chatter and the game (at least for me as non-native speaker). But finally I think I get most of the comms by now, was hard a few months ago though.

Quote Originally Posted by protorp View Post
    Some cardinal rules on this front: check who are PL / SLs when you log in; if you don't know them, listen out for their voices and learn to recognise them; keep listening for those voices so you can quickly cut the chatter when they start talking orders etc.
    Good idea, didn't thougt of this. I check the overlay most of the times when anyone's interrupting me.

Network Hub
    ^ That's a very valid and important reminder re. non-native speakers.

It's all too easy to forget that this can be an issue, particularly as we have a significant number of active members with identifiably non-Anglophone accents, but whose English is at an exceptionally high level of fluency and precision.