Sword of the Stars: GroundPounders

It seems Kerberos is making a wargame in the sots universe.

There is a trailer that doesn't show much:

But good news everybody!
    There is a demo.
    I'm downloading it right now. Given all the stuff that I have going on I hope I get to try it before the game is released.
    Will comment on it once I do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Its clearly a card based strategy game from the trailer, but quite what that means I'll have to see , to the demo mobile!
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I'm expecting it to be a good game hidden under layers of questionable design choices and unquestionably bad UI.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    I'm expecting it to be a good game hidden under layers of questionable design choices and unquestionably bad UI.
    Made magnificent after 3 expansion packs.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Made magnificent after 3 expansion packs.
    Unfortunately Kerberos only pulled that off once - with SotS1. Fort Zombie was and still remains a mess, SotS2 ran out of steam and is still less than perfect. I can't judge The Pit, I haven't played it, but I've sadly lost my faith in KP as a developer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The Pit is pretty good and not the broken mess like the games you mentioned.

It is still part of the indieroyale bundle for 17 more hours.

http://www.indieroyale.com/

Network Hub
    The Pit is great for the first couple of hours, then it gets repetitive and boring

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    The Pit is great for the first couple of hours, then it gets repetitive and boring
    My feeling about Rogue-likes in general. Though, The Pit is particularly simplistic which is both a good thing and also exacerbates this particularity problem.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

I tried it last night.
    Played only the tutorial mission.
    In the appropriate Kerberos fashion I found it bloated and needlessly complicated.
    You have a map and units like any wargame but you also have a deck of cards and dice rolls which you assign to your units. Problem is that every turn is composed of something like a bajillion phases. You have one phase for a very specific kind of actions. (supply, dice roll, deck something, tea making, dog walking ad infinitum) It just makes the turn drag on and on and on.

It's just an alpha, so there is a chance all of this gets ironed out later but in the end it didn't grab me. It could be a great game underneath but I don't have the willpower nor the time to search for it right now. I might revisit it later, once development has advanced at least into beta if not release given that word of mouth is positive.
    Last edited by Tikey; 21-08-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ever since the rise of the japanese mobile card games, it seems that is the thing to develop the past year and a lot will be coming out this year and the next.

Capcom Card Fighter on NeoGeo Color is the best digital card game.

Baten Kaitos on gamecube had a fun card based rpg combat. Lost Kingdoms also on gamecube.

Graxia was fun but did not seem to catch a large audience.

Now every IP is slowly getting a card game treatment and we will be oversaturated. Everyone chasing the money.