Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    I'll be honest I'm a philistine when it comes to that game. I played it for about 15 minutes and turned it off when the controls didn't feel right.

So all I'm left with is knowing that the female in that game did a playboy shoot. Didn't scream out maturity, but hey maybe the game does a better job.
    Use combat overhaul mod then. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...-2-combat-mod/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I sometimes wonder how you guys go throughout your day without being offended to death.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post

(Can I subvert this thread into what is/isn't a game?)
    I personally don't really care. If I like it I like it. I enjoyed walking around a perfect representation of a spooky Hebridean island whilst being told a story. Just like I enjoy playing something like Supreme Commander with a high player agency and interacting systems. I find the whole what is/isn't a game argument rather pointless. So lets have another one :p

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcooper View Post
    As for the frequency of a crime dictating how bad it is, that's a bit silly. I doubt many folk would argue that theft is worse then murder, despite being over 2000 times more common (in the UK at least).
    Point wasn't whether or not it was bad compared to murder. Point was just that it is very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by lordcooper View Post
    Isn't it the point though? We don't generally get multiple page debates with name calling on both sides about games daring to show that someone in a game was pretending to be about to murder someone else in a game. If sexual violence isn't worse than general violence then surely it shouldn't matter in the slightest if someone made a game where the primary activity is rape.
    Hmm. To be very honest, I think the problem is not that we are offended by rape in video games. It's probably that violence in video games does not appear to affect us in the slightest anymore...

Also, I don't really get the vibe you seem to get from this entire conversation. I don't think that the name calling is that bad currently.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 17-08-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    I think when you murder people in the game, it's also against their will.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Though it's rarely controversial

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I sometimes wonder how you guys go throughout your day without being offended to death.
    ... I am quietly wondering how you came to that idea in the first place. Death is a quite natural part of life, as is sex.
    Hotline Miami, however, is about rape and murder, which is something rather different.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Hotline Miami, however, is about rape and murder, which is something rather different.
    That's a little bit disingenuous. When you put it like that it sounds like those are the only two things going on.

To say it's about murder and rape is like saying Ninja Gaiden is about killing ninjas and watching the end credits. One of those things happens a lot more frequently than the other. It's not like at the end of each level you have a Street Fighter style bonus round with the car replaced by a girl on rohypnol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    ... I am quietly wondering how you came to that idea in the first place. Death is a quite natural part of life, as is sex.
    It's fiction bro. No actual women were offended during the making of the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Why do threads like this bother you so much? I mean, so much that you evidently feel compelled to repeatedly speak up against them, in a manner which obviously isn't (because that would be hypocrisy, right?) you being offended, but is, let's be real, functionally indistinguishable from you being a little offended crybaby wah-wah-waahing at all the whole 2 threads on this forum about stuff you don't like.

/facepalm.

That's a little bit disingenuous. When you put it like that it sounds like those are the only two things going on.

To say it's about murder and rape is like saying Ninja Gaiden is about killing ninjas and watching the end credits. One of those things happens a lot more frequently than the other. It's not like at the end of each level you have a Street Fighter style bonus round with the car replaced by a girl on rohypnol.
    The thing is that murder (And now rape) and how we as a society respond to them is a subject hotline miami attempts to tackle. One of the points of this game is, as an work of art, to ask these sort of questions and to start these discussions, which is exactly what is happening here.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 17-08-2013 at 03:31 PM.

The thing is that murder (And now rape) and how we as a society respond to them is a subject hotline miami attempts to tackle. One of the points of this game is, as an work of art, to ask these sort of questions and to start these discussions, which is exactly what is happening here.
    Plus it is fun to go all out nuts and act like a homicidal maniac in a game :p

The funniest thing about your snidely little drive-by oneliners in this thread, is how utterly nonsensical and irrelevant they are. After all, absolutely no one in this thread offered anything close to the level of offense you seem to imagine.

I guess it's time to fix your Anti-PC Phrase Generator, bro.
    There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!

Banned
    The thing is that murder (And now rape) and how we as a society respond to them is a subject hotline miami attempts to tackle.
    Oh, was that a thing? I thought it was just a silly bloody arcade indie game.

possibly, but I think rape is more a form of torture than just shooting someone to death.

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    I think when you murder people in the game, it's also against their will.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Oh, was that a thing? I thought it was just a silly bloody arcade indie game.
    Either the game maker wanted that to be a thing, large parts of it's audience wanted it to be a thing, or both. That context is very strongly associated with the game. I haven't played it, but my guess is that I'd agree the game either isn't saying anything about society or is saying it very badly.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    To be honest, if it's not at least trying to say something and failing then that's worse. If rape is being thrown in arbitrarily like choosing which fruit in Ms Pac Man should give you the most points then something went wrong in the creators brain-case.
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Either the game maker wanted that to be a thing, large parts of it's audience wanted it to be a thing, or both. That context is very strongly associated with the game. I haven't played it, but my guess is that I'd agree the game either isn't saying anything about society or is saying it very badly.
    "Do you enjoy hurting other people?" is a line featured rather prominemently in the first game. It's a question you are constantly being asked by your 'employer'.

Errant Signal has a piece on Hotline Miami (it's on youtube). It's quite interesting.

To be honest, if it's not at least trying to say something and failing then that's worse. If rape is being thrown in arbitrarily like choosing which fruit in Ms Pac Man should give you the most points then something went wrong in the creators brain-case.
    Well the game is causing a debate whether the makers intended to to or not. Cara was for example asking why is that I am uncomfortable with rape in this game and not the endless killing.

Whatever the original intention it doesn't matter as enough people are trying to find messages in it and talk about the themes it has.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    Well the game is causing a debate whether the makers intended to to or not. Cara was for example asking why is that I am uncomfortable with rape in this game and not the endless killing.
    To get back on the original topic: I think part of it is because we view "killing" in games as sparring - you spar with your virtualized oponents, and the game portrays it as them dying once you have defeated them. It's about overcoming challenges. And such. Your brain contextualizes it as a challenge.
    If it were a movie, I imagine our reactions would be quite different (I personally noted a huge difference between playing BF3 and watching "No country for old men", for example. I had HUGE problems with the latter).

The rape scene on the other hand, is not about any of that. The brain has nothing to contextualize - as part of the story, the main character rapes someone. It is, at best, very hard to symphatize with such an character.