Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I tried buying Wizardry in GoG but is not available. I don't know if is abandonsoftware by now. Do you know where I can get a digital download of the game? I have heard (here and on other forums) that is a important game in RPG story.

Yes, I want to buy Wizardry 8
    It's out of print. Your only chance is to find a used copy from the usual sources such as ebay or amazon marketplace. That said, you probably want to play Wizardry 6 and 7 before that since the three games form a trilogy - you can import saves and keep your party.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have heard that are very hard games. Playing in order may mean that I will abandon the attemp with half Wizardry 6. And that would be a shame. But thanks about the suggestion. I will check if W6 is available, if is available I could change plan and search that one instead.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have heard that are very hard games. Playing in order may mean that I will abandon the attemp with half Wizardry 6. And that would be a shame. But thanks about the suggestion. I will check if W6 is available, if is available I could change plan and search that one instead.
    Wizardry VI
    Wizardry VII

I can't find Wizardry 8 on any abandonware site, though as it hasn't been for sale for many years and Sir-Tech don't exist any more you can always pirate it. If you don't like Wizardry VI just skip straight to Wizardry 8. Wizardry VI and VII are early 90s games while Wizardry 8 came out in late 2001. The differences between them in terms of interface and graphics is huge.
    Last edited by Wizardry; 22-08-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Humm... thanks. You sould probably edit the links, since I doubt abandonwarez is tolerated here. To be honest, I want to play a legal version, and use a digital download. Maybe I sould wait until GoG stock it.

---

postdata:
    These Wizardry 7 screenshots are awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    That abandonware site lists "Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos" as something similar to the Wizardry series.

Is that the case? Because I really enjoyed Land of Lore back when I was younger, and am now finding myself intrigued by this wizardry thingy...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Humm... thanks. You sould probably edit the links, since I doubt abandonwarez is tolerated here. To be honest, I want to play a legal version, and use a digital download. Maybe I sould wait until GoG stock it.

---

postdata:
    These Wizardry 7 screenshots are awesome.
    Erm, it's abandonware. I don't think anyone gives a crap. I wouldn't bother waiting for them to appear on GOG.com because chances are they never will be, given who owns the IP now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    That abandonware site lists "Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos" as something similar to the Wizardry series.

Is that the case? Because I really enjoyed Land of Lore back when I was younger, and am now finding myself intrigued by this wizardry thingy...
    Sort of. Lands of Lore is a distant Wizardry descendent through Dungeon Master (1987). Wizardry is turn-based instead of real-time, though, and also features a far greater character development and combat system.
    Last edited by Wizardry; 22-08-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    *raise hands* I give a crap.

Mostly because, well... you just helped me, I will feel bad if you are getting banned. Also, I don't think this is how things work on the internet. There are forums where you post warez, and forums where thats not tolerated. And this is of the "zero tolerance" ones.

Back on topic?

I only ever played SMAC (what a nice and fitting abbrevation) for a short period of time and never really got into it. Similar things happened when I tried Crusader Kings, so maybe those are no games that I can relate to easily. Which is a shame because in both cases the setting and backstory are amazingly interesting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4012..._-_Three_Discs

if we are pirating then here you go
    Last edited by Lukasz; 22-08-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Somebody didn't read Tei's post.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    *snip*

Uh, no. That's not allowed. The difference between Abandonia and The Pirate Bay is that Abandonia remove games promptly if asked to or if a game goes back on sale (through sites like GOG.com). Torrents remain indefinitely. You better remove that link ASAP.

*raise hands* I give a crap.

Mostly because, well... you just helped me, I will feel bad if you are getting banned. Also, I don't think this is how things work on the internet. There are forums where you post warez, and forums where thats not tolerated. And this is of the "zero tolerance" ones.
    It's Abandonia. It's a site that archives ancient games that are both forgotten and not available to buy. It's not a site that facilitates piracy. There's a key difference between true abandonware sites and warez sites.
    Last edited by Wizardry; 22-08-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Uh, no. That's not allowed. The difference between Abandonia and The Pirate Bay is that Abandonia remove games promptly if asked to or if a game goes back on sale (through sites like GOG.com). Torrents remain indefinitely. You better remove that link ASAP.
    no. abandonia is pirate site. if i get banned so should you. remove yours and then i remove mine.

abandonware is piracy no different than pirate bay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    you can always pirate it
    Uh, no. That's not allowed.
    I know you didn't post a link, so Lukasz is (I suppose) the practice to your theory.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    I know you didn't post a link, so Lukasz is (I suppose) the practice to your theory.
    The difference is that I never would post a link to the likes of TPB. I know for sure that's not allowed on any site I visit. It doesn't matter whether I say pirating is right or wrong in particular cases, I would never and have never linked to warez sites.

The difference is that I never would post a link to the likes of TPB. I know for sure that's not allowed on any site I visit. It doesn't matter whether I say pirating is right or wrong in particular cases, I would never and have never linked to warez sites.
    yet you linked to abandonia which is warez site. they are hosting illegal files. they have no right whatsoever to host those files and redistribute them like they do.

they are exactly like tpb

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm done here. I don't want to be associated with your irresponsible behaviour. Your post has been reported. Feel free to report mine. If I make a post that you believe is against the rules then use the report button. Don't childishly say "because he's doing it I'm going to do it too" while posting a link to a far more questionable source.
    Last edited by Wizardry; 22-08-2011 at 05:18 PM.

I'm done here. I don't want to be associated with your irresponsible behaviour. Your post has been reported. Feel free to report mine. If I make a post that you believe is against the rules then use the report button. Don't childishly say "because he's doing it I'm going to do it too" while posting a link to a far more questionable source.
    I did that knowing the consequences. i asked you to remove links to illegal site. you did not. therefore my ban i gladly accept as i know what i did was wrong, hopefully if RPS is fair they will ban you too so you might actually learn not to believe silly things like "oh. nobody cares so i can download that game"

apologies to everyone in this thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    they are exactly like tpb
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry
    The difference between Abandonia and The Pirate Bay is that Abandonia remove games promptly if asked to or if a game goes back on sale (through sites like GOG.com). Torrents remain indefinitely.
    Idiot.

Sure, abandonware is a very grey area, but it is very clearly not anything like TPB.

With Abandonia the onus is on the IP holder to take an interest, and if they do, there is compliance.
    When was the last time a torrent file complied with a request from the copyright holder?
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Idiot.

Sure, abandonware is a very grey area, but it is very clearly not anything like TPB.

With Abandonia the onus is on the IP holder to take an interest, and if they do, there is compliance.
    When was the last time a torrent file complied with a request from the copyright holder?
    im sorry but what? so you are saying as long as you don't get caught it is alright to commit crime?

every game is copyrighted (unless those copyrights are released but can't think of any game to which it happened). every single one of them since the second ever game (first one was not copyrighted i believe)
    therefore even tough it might be a gray area someone owns copyright to the game. therefore 'abandownare' sites are breaking the law.
    sure. they might stop doing that if asked but it does not change the fact that they are pirate sites.
    there is nothing grey about that.

whether it is moral? that's different thing. that's up to one to decide. nevertheless linking to a pirate site here on RPS is disrespectful as wrong as tpb link and should not happen.

god. i am spamming a thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    More to the point:
    When a game is no longer available for the developers, the development company has long gone under, the IP rights quite possibly have evaporated into the ether, then:
    Who on earth is harmed by it being shared freely? Perhaps it slightly reduces the chances of a commercial re-release, but practically, a lot of these games either nobody owns the rights to any more (company went bust without anyone buying the rights) or the rights holder has no objection to it being spread around, they simply don't want to go through the hassle of making it available themselves.

Equally, who is harmed if the software is not made freely available? Anyone who might otherwise have enjoyed it.