Network Hub

How to get the most out of The Witcher?

After abandoning a playthough when I reached the infamously slow bit quite some time ago, I'm ready to give this another shot in preparation for The Wild Hunt. Would you guys recommend it with or without that official combat mod thingy? Does it throw the balance off at all? Also, are there any other highly recommended mods that don't muck up the core experience?

Activated Node
    I wasn't able to play the first until after the second and reading the books. The combat sucks so hard. After a few hours it's less grating, but it took several years, and lots of desire to experience the world to get me past it.

Network Hub
    I've only just come back to it now, after also dropping it in Chapter 2 some years back. I don't know what's changed but I'm quite enjoying myself, apart from when Geralt is being treated like an errand boy. Chapter three seems like it will be quite interesting with lots of politicking.

The only mod I'm using is one that allows me to stack 99 of any item. There's also Flash's mod (Flash being one of CDPR's staff) that has bug fixes and balance changes.

I think the better combat mod you're thinking of (also made by Flash) is for the Witcher 2. As I've recently reinstalled and updated that, with the inclusion of said mod.

My only problem now is that I'd just started my first play through of Arx Fatalis and am a little sad that its fallen by the wayside.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/full-combat-rebalance1

Basically makes the combat witcher 2-ish.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Arx Fatalis is pretty interesting, but I lost interest after wandering aimlessly for ages, unsure whether I was going too deep too early, or whether I'd missed the next plot trigger, or what.

I love the goblin/troll voices, too. The outrageously French goblin chef is one of my favourite NPCs ever. So over the top. So happy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    First twist both ends in opposite directions (both their own relative clockwise for example), then continue to tighten until the it forms into a rope and twist tightly then straighten out and lie on a warm radiator... Wait- Witcher, I thought you asked about dishcloths.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Ah, I love The Witcher, it was one of those few games that totally stole a week from my life, I literally just sat in my room playing nonstop, barely leaving to get food or go to class. Loved first act, which is kind of an interesting reconstruction of Dogville if you ever watched it. But yea I can see how it does get a little bit "draggy" in later parts, between numerous errands and trips to the swamp.

Personally big part of my enjoyment came from being Polish - lots of polish folklore elements behind some of the stories, quests, people and monster design, so it rang with me a lot. You can see that in Sapkowki's novels too. And the voice work was superb superb and felt very authentic. For instance, the "villagefolk" spoke in a bit of slang and deliberate grammer/pronounciations error typical to the older villagers or the southern mountain folk in Poland, it rang so many bells. I always wondered how well those things translate into English? I really ought to replay the game in English!
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    Ah, I love The Witcher, it was one of those few games that totally stole a week from my life, I literally just sat in my room playing nonstop, barely leaving to get food or go to class. Loved first act, which is kind of an interesting reconstruction of Dogville if you ever watched it. But yea I can see how it does get a little bit "draggy" in later parts, between numerous errands and trips to the swamp.

Personally big part of my enjoyment came from being Polish - lots of polish folklore elements behind some of the stories, quests, people and monster design, so it rang with me a lot. You can see that in Sapkowki's novels too. And the voice work was superb superb and felt very authentic. For instance, the "villagefolk" spoke in a bit of slang and deliberate grammer/pronounciations error typical to the older villagers or the southern mountain folk in Poland, it rang so many bells. I always wondered how well those things translate into English? I really ought to replay the game in English!
    One of the few games in the history of videogames to use "regional" I.e not Southern British accents throughout and for main protagonists as well. Like you say it gave it a lot more character.

One of the best games I've ever played when put in context, but it feels far harder to get into than a 2008 game should. The core of what made it great is still there if you invest in it though. The real problem though is that Witcher 2 is most of what made the original good, whilst being prettier, easier to get into, and pretty much seamless. If you can only play one it should be the sequel, no question.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    The real problem though is that Witcher 2 is most of what made the original good, whilst being prettier, easier to get into, and pretty much seamless. If you can only play one it should be the sequel, no question.
    Yup. 10ch

Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Arx Fatalis is pretty interesting, but I lost interest after wandering aimlessly for ages, unsure whether I was going too deep too early, or whether I'd missed the next plot trigger, or what.
    Any game has problems if a walkthrough is required to complete it. Some of the objectives are just too obscure. Good effort at a modern day Ultima Underworld though. Here's hoping dungeon crawlers come back with Grimrock's success.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 18-08-2013 at 10:59 AM.

I recently returned to the original and in that grim, early section I basically just resolved to grit my teeth and get through it.

The other thing was just to make sure I did all I could in one area before going to the next one/back to the previous place. Making sure you do as little traipsing about as is humanly possible is key to not getting sick of running errands.

"Right, go to the swamp and do this."
    "Alright."

"Hey! Can you go back to Vizima for me?"
    "Well, er, I guess."

"Oi, Witcher, go and kill this stuff in the swamp for me."
    "AAARRRGGGHHHH"

Yeah, rounding up as much stuff as possible made a big difference to me.
    Last edited by Ian; 18-08-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/full-combat-rebalance1

Basically makes the combat witcher 2-ish.
    We were discussing FCR in the steam chat last night and I decided against it. A) because I have no idea what Witcher 2 combat is like and B) because I couldn't find any info as to whether it would invalidate your saves and at 16 hours in I'm not starting again, my gaming time is too precious.

Also, this my thread now.

For a first-time player, I would recommend FCR for the Witcher 1, but to keep the original combat for Witcher 2. For both mods it is recommended that you start a new game, so you probably shouldn't install it now.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post

I love the goblin/troll voices, too. The outrageously French goblin chef is one of my favourite NPCs ever. So over the top. So happy.
    I think I was in love with the naga girl in Arx Fatalis, she was a librarian/magician or something. I was young and couldn't figure out how to progress past a certain point though. Also terrible interface.

The first time I've played Witcher II .. it was bastard hard because I was doing it wrong, especially that fight around the catapult thing in the castle assault. I didn't ever finish it, but I'll do it this week, I guess.
    Last edited by Caddybear; 18-08-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Network Hub
    If the combat bothers you, play on easy?
    It's only maybe 5-10% of the game

I play it in 1st person and into 3rd person for combat

But how tightly the quests, storyline, and role-playing are interwoven is the game's strength
    The witcher 1 did that part better than the sequel

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Witcher 2 is most of what made the original good, whilst being prettier, easier to get into, and pretty much seamless.
    On paper that is all entire true, but for some odd reason it didn't nearly grab me as much as the first. I could plow through the boring bits in W1 no problem, but struggle with that in W2, and had some moments when I wished the game would just "move forward" already...
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by biz View Post
    If the combat bothers you, play on easy?
    It's only maybe 5-10% of the game

I play it in 1st person and into 3rd person for combat

But how tightly the quests, storyline, and role-playing are interwoven is the game's strength
    The witcher 1 did that part better than the sequel
    There's a first person view? I know there's third person and an overhead/isometric view but I didn't realise there was a first person.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I actually quite liked the combat in The Switcher but I do have to say it is one of those games where sometimes the fetch quests get a bit much and you feel like your playing an MMO but usually they have great quests which do have consequences or they have great tactical battles to get your head around. I loved after finding out you could do it just making traps for people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    For a first-time player, I would recommend FCR for the Witcher 1, but to keep the original combat for Witcher 2. For both mods it is recommended that you start a new game, so you probably shouldn't install it now.
    I wouldn't. It makes a long game which is primarily strong on the basis of its plot a lot longer and more involved than necessary. I enjoyed using it for a second play through as it added an extra bit of spice to an experience I knew well, but starting out in such a rich game which a lot of people struggle with I think it’s just too much. I’d say it adds quite a few hours extra in terms of gameplay due to the considerations and concentration required. A good thing if The Witcher is your bag, but if not it will put you off straight away I think.

I personally found that the vanilla combat works fine anyway. Click on dudes at appropriate times, build up combos, throw spells at them. It’s basically a pared down version of the fighting in Arkham Asylum to fit a mouse. The animations are good, the enemy varieties are decent, you visibly become more proficient as you level up and unlock moves, so for all that the actual mechanics might be a bit simple I find fighting people to still be pretty rewarding.

The Witcher is definitely one of my “Gaming Made Me” choices as it were. For ambition, depth, narrative and choice there are still few things can rival it. Witcher 2 surpassed it, but not many other games have come close otherwise. One day I would like to write an essay about how it conveys concepts of folklore and the projection of early modern European concepts of power and kingdom onto culture and community through its use of landscape and regional lore. But important things will probably stop me from ever doing so.

I can't find the relevant post I made a while but I'll add details of some HD textures mods later tonight. Just make the game look a bit sharper.