Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

We Gonna See Gigantic iMac Being Introduced to the Market Soon

And if lucky, next year:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/16/...r-2014-launch/

Actually, it's so easy to have the whole package right now. You can either buy a Mac mini or Macbook and plug it to a large TV. I wanted to get a Mac mini before, but even with educational price (just a gimmick I think, who doesn't have friends who work in an educational institute / be a full-time student?), the number doesn't add up. For the same price which will only offer your 4GB ram and Intel cheap on-broad display, I can get a PC notebook which is mobile and installed with 8GB ram and better GPU. My elder brother got one such package though, Macbook connected to a 42" Sony TV by HDMI, costing USD2500-3000. If this iTV is much cheaper and with whole iMac package (i.e. a gigantic iMac), this will be very very competitive.

But 55" smallest for the first batch...... I won't hold too much hope for an affordable price tag, not for the first batch.

And another problem though, I don't know if Apple is indeed interested in bringing Mac to such large TV. If it is just a TV with Apple set-top box, it's just one hell of expensive entertainment crap.

Network Hub
    Article is about a TV, not about a computer.

I can't wait to be charged a massive premium to have a picture of an apple on my telly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I like how the TV is 60'' and they still can't fit the entire menu on it.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by lordcooper View Post
    Article is about a TV, not about a computer.

I can't wait to be charged a massive premium to have a picture of an apple on my telly.
    Nonono, you got that wrong. The picture of the apple is only half of the massive premium. The other half is for the fabulously sculpted plastic bits glued to that telly.
    There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I like how the TV is 60'' and they still can't fit the entire menu on it.
    You know the problem for a TV screen being too large? You can watch from a longer healthy distance, but then for the same size of menu it will be too damn small to read. But of course it would be nice if they introduce some aiding tools, say, apps on iPhone so you can read menu from your smartphone. I realize this when I first play Xbox version of Fable 1. I rely on subtitle to overcome the horrible accents in the game, but the subtitles are too damn small to read. Later I switched to PC version and is comfortable with the same size of subtitles.

...... Wait a minute, is that planned all along? You will have to use iPhone because if you choose iTV you should be an ifanboy who should already have iPhone, and if not you should be buying one? ......

And about the TV / computer thingy, of course at this moment we can only be speculating. The reason TV concept is conflicting with computer is for that fact TV is for the whole family, while computer is generally for one person at a time in nature. PC beings with the word "personal" for very good reason. Most families won't welcome incorporation of computer into TV as I observe. As I have pointed out, if you want you can simply plug in your PC's video output to a TV (mostly supported). The most convenient way for you to watch a TV through a PC (you would ask, why would I do that? The answer is that by that way you can merge the two together without the trouble of switch between the two), as I know, is by a USB device by a Hong Kong brand named Magic Pro. As I am aware of, Magic Pro is currently the only one producing this device (I don't know, maybe it is patented?) to receive digital TV signal (and even analog signal as I heard) and display through a PC. It is much cheaper than most TV set-top box you will find in the market. More conveniently, actually with PC using up one channel in your TV, and other channels to other normal TV signals, you just dont need any of such tools. Yet most families don't buy this idea. Only those who live single welcome this idea of media centre.

So this is very much a cultural thing. Unless Apple has some groundbreaking innovation to break this, I honestly don't see the point of merging the two, although myself personally really want to have one. Currently one, let's say the best deal you can get is a Mac mini if you already have a large TV. Hey if you are IT geek you may even get a monstrous MacPro. It's just I myself do the calculation and the numbers do not add up well.
    Last edited by squirrel; 18-08-2013 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by InnerPartisan View Post
    Nonono, you got that wrong. The picture of the apple is only half of the massive premium. The other half is for the fabulously sculpted plastic bits glued to that telly.
    Let's not forget the eventual yearly iterations of the television as well.

With stuff like HDMI and Netflix, I really wonder why people even bother with TVs anymore. Consoles been trying to go for the "mediabox" approach for a while now so things are finally moving in that direction it seems. Interesting to see what Apple entering that market will do.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    With stuff like HDMI and Netflix, I really wonder why people even bother with TVs anymore.
    Because there's more to TV than drama-series. Sports, for example, is notoriously walled off behind broadcasting rights that make internet-based media difficult. It's been changing, slowly - Eurosport attracted some positive attention with their online subscriptions a while ago -, but in other sports it's not yet at a point where the old-fashioned TV can be replaced.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Looking forward to iTV suing ITV.
    Appletards queuing up to claim Tyne Tees, Granada and London Weekend were all part of Jobs original vision.

To be fair, it makes sense. People will buy it.

I actually think today's Apple TV is one of their more modestly-priced products, considering. Maybe less so now, post Chromecast, but still. Not the worst deal Apple has out there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    words
    Computer integration with HDTVs has already occurred. If you have an HDMI output, which you do, you don't need anything special. This is literally just Apple selling TVs. Calling this a "cultural" shift is like crediting Apple for inventing hipsters.

Also, IT geeks get real computers.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Computer integration with HDTVs has already occurred. If you have an HDMI output, which you do, you don't need anything special. This is literally just Apple selling TVs. Calling this a "cultural" shift is like crediting Apple for inventing hipsters.

Also, IT geeks get real computers.
    It's the iPod all over again.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The iPod was at least new and innovative at the time. There was expensive Creative mp3s with like 2GB and Sony MiniDiscs. Nothing had the click wheel or the amount of space right away. Apple patent the hell of that click wheel and you saw no one else use it. I first got a Sony Walkman mp3 due to being smaller and replaceable battery. Then Video iPods came out like months later and I got one of those eventually.

The iPhone and iPad have been big but now the iPad Mini has been a response as had a lot of changes to the iPhone.

Vizio has a big investment into their Smart TVs. All this iTV will be is AppleTV built into the TV and they will probably LED and any other high end feature they can tack on plus the Apple tax. How can they could they make current TV tech better?

Its becoming easy with ChromeCast and other devices for the non computer people to easily stream content to their TV from their computers and tablets.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorltonwheelie View Post
    Looking forward to iTV suing ITV.
    Appletards queuing up to claim Tyne Tees, Granada and London Weekend were all part of Jobs original vision.
    Ridiculous comment from an Apple hater. Everyone knows Apple are the Border Television of computing.

That's okay. You can keep your TV with an apple logo and fancy sculpted bits.
    Kingdom of Knights - Community Manager
    STEAM: Reiken