Performance issues on BF3

I have an ongoing issue: I'm not getting adequate performance out of Battlefield 3. Even though I meet recommended requirements, I still need to run at 720x480, minimum settings to get an adequate frame rate.

System specs:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
    6.1 GB RAM
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
    AMD Radeon HD 7470 w/ 1GB RAM

What's wrong?

EDIT: Apparently, the power of AMD cards is determined by the last 3 numbers instead of the overall number. Hubwah?

Last edited by Pengwertle; 18-08-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Both nVidia and AMD start off their card numbers with the series. So, the 7000 series, 600 series etc. As you say, the last numbers are really the most important. For AMD, you'd want something in the 7800 or 7900 bracket (I'd need to check, but I think the 7750 might be usable as well). For nV, you basically don't want anything lower than X50, where X is the series number.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Yeah... 6100 is worse than 5700 by several marks for example. Its a horrible ugly standard, but system builders are mostly used to it. I generally try and get a reputable benchmark site, try Toms Hardware or BitTech.

First number(the thousand) merely denotes the series, while a 6600 is better than a 5600, a 5700 might beat a 6600. Remember that each of these might have variations in ram amounts and some will have X( or XL, LX or GTI or some other crap) appended to the name and make it different than the one without the letters.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 18-08-2013 at 02:46 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Radeon HD 7470 from what I can gather is at best the GPU for an office PC or perhaps a HTPC.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 18-08-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    The 7470 is just an old GPU from the 6000 or 5000 series with a new number slapped on so people will keep buying it under the assumption that it's new and therefore good.

It seems to be the same GPU as the 6450, which performance-wise would also place it somewhere between the 5450 and 5550. It has 160 shaders. By comparison, the top GPU of the 5000 series has 1600 shaders. So this is a tenth of a high-end GPU from 2009. No longer such a mystery that performance sucks, right?

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Both nVidia and AMD start off their card numbers with the series. So, the 7000 series, 600 series etc. As you say, the last numbers are really the most important. For AMD, you'd want something in the 7800 or 7900 bracket (I'd need to check, but I think the 7750 might be usable as well). For nV, you basically don't want anything lower than X50, where X is the series number.
    The 7750 was, until recently, the lowest branch on the tree of AMDs newest GPU architecture. They recently added the 7730 which sits a little lower on that tree. The 7750 (and perhaps the 7730 as well) is acceptable-ish for gaming.

Along with the GTX 650 it's the cheapest stuff that should be purchased with any sort of "real" gaming in mind (BF3 for example). And if at all possible, you should step up to something like the 7770 instead.

For the record, the 7730 has 384 shaders, the 7750 has 512, and the 7770 has 640. These are higher-performance shaders than the ones in the 7470, so the 7730 is probably significantly more than twice as powerful. And the 7770 about twice as powerful as the 7730; performance differences are substantial from one low-end GPU to the next (which is why the bottom rung ends up sucking so much).

Im still using a 6850 and it rawx
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Alright then, I need some help. What graphics card should I aim for if I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck? Nvidia or AMD? What card in particular? Basically, any card that can run Battlefield 3 at 1680x1050 at 60 FPS.

With High settings and no AA, a Radeon HD 7770 should do the trick. If you want to add AA, you'll need a little more oomp - 7850, 7870, GTX 660 or 650 Ti Boost (not the non-Boost version). I wouldn't recommend anything more expensive since your CPU at some point becomes the limiting factor anyway.

Now, these graphics cards all draw more power than the one you have, and all require either one or two 6-pin PCIe power connectors from the power supply. So you need to check your power supply and confirm that it has the capacity and quality to reliably deliver the extra power, and the requisite connectors.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll go for a 7770; I don't know why someone would pay twice as much just to make their perfectly good display look slightly blurry.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Enjoy your jagged edges.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post

Now, these graphics cards all draw more power than the one you have, and all require either one or two 6-pin PCIe power connectors from the power supply. So you need to check your power supply and confirm that it has the capacity and quality to reliably deliver the extra power, and the requisite connectors.
    7750 requires no additional power cables, and I am quite sure it is adequate for BF3 (my old 5770 is, and I geus sthey are roughly on the same power level). Although it's probably just - you might as well go for the 7770 for that little extra staying power.
    Just make sure you know what your PSU can do (IE if it has an 6x pin power connector) before you buy that 7770 - if it doesn;t (which is highly unlikely this day and age), get the 7750.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    7750 requires no additional power cables, and I am quite sure it is adequate for BF3
    At 1680 x 1050 High settings, it wouldn't give 60 FPS. But sure, it can run BF3. You just have to lower settings a little more. It's still WAY better than the 7470.

Also, what site are you people using to benchmark how these different cards will perform?

Tom's Hardware, Anandtech, and so on.

isnt 7850/7870 still the optimum bang for buck? havent checked in a while