Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obscure Node

Which Anno game is the best?

Probably a very subjective and silly question to make, but, either way, I'd like to know it. I love the series, but I've only played a few of then. My last computer (back when a was a moneyless student) had only 512 mb of RAM which stopped me from playing the game after a few years of gameplay.

My new rig, on the other hand, should handle any title from the series, so... which should I play? The new one (which brought me back to the subject) is futuristic, so I'm not sure I'm interested. But it might be the case...

Which ones have you played? I really enjoyed 1701 a lot, but haven't had a chance to play 1404 so I have no way to compare it.

I would play 1701. The Anno series got better from game to game (more or less). Plus 1701 looks great.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I like the two most recent, 1404 and 1701. If you're not familiar with the series you might not be aware of the order of things (they're not chronological), in release order (oldest to newest) they are Anno 1602, 1503, 1701, and 1404.

1404 and 1701 are fundamentally different in a number of ways, and both worth playing. 1701 has a very "new world" feel, while 1404 is centered around establishing trade between a European city and the orient. I personally like 1404 the most, because it has the grandest building projects and a greater number of supply chains, but then I'm a complexity junkie. :)

I thought 1404 was brilliant, and it looks really lovely, too.

1404 is great. But, to be honest, the "RTS-ey" aspect of it is a bit crude - these games never seem to find the proper balance between economic and military development...

Well, 1701 was a bit crude in the RTS department as well, but I think the idea was to leave it as simple as possible to focus on what the game is really all about: establishing a settlement and trade routes. I'm not sure they're really even attempting to find that balance.

Ugh, stupid numbering... or silly me since I just have to turn my head to see the box. I meant 1404 of course. This way my "looks great" assertion makes sense.

@Pijama
    The Anno and Settlers games aren't normal RTS. They are called "Aufbaustrategie" in Germany where they come from. Would be something like "buildup strategy" in English. Anyway the focus is on economy and construction in that RTS subgenre. So the improper balance is intentional. In the Settlers games the focus is a bit more on the military aspect though.

@Nova

Thanks for the input. My point was not to compare the styles, but rather something that (at least for me) seems a bit off with this sub-genre. I think Anno is one of the best franchises around, however, I would like it even more if they managed to do both aspects really well or just focus completely on the economic side. :)

I guess they want to least have the option for those who can't live without a little military conflict. Although it also adds another layer to the economy especially with the upkeep for military units, and it's also another production chain.
    At least in the Anno games combat is entirely optional (you can even turn off the pirates, I think) other than in Settlers.

Obscure Node
    Thanks all for the replies. This week was total madness at office so I couldn't check the answers. From what I seem, I might like Anno 1404 better since it's more complex... (I'm a complexity junkie myself).

Is that right? Any main difference between that and 1701?

And to answer the question about which game I've played before... I'm not sure. Probably the first one (1601, right?), but my hardware back then couldn't completely handle it.

Obscure Node
    Another, final, question: any good place to buy the game? It's not available on Steam.

Huh, yeah. Strange. "Notice: The game is currently not available for purchase." Says Steam.

I would buy it retail it's pretty cheap there.

For complexity get 1404 with the Venice add-on. I'm itching to get back into it again myself actually.

Activated Node
    re: steam
    it's unavailable because patch 1.3 makes you unable to install the venice addon

1404 + Venice is definitely the way to go. Either find a retail copy or, if you prefer digital, pick it up from Gamersgate.

High hopes for 2070 as well. Very interesting so far (except for the publisher, urgh)

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    My main gripe about these games (played 1701 and 1404, aka Dawn of Discovery) is that there's no clear feedback regarding how many of a building you'll need for minimum efficiency. How many wheat fields do I need for one mill? How many mills for one bakery? How many houses for one bakery? And that's just one example. Then there's the trade route system, which is simple to setup but still a nightmare to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    My main gripe about these games (played 1701 and 1404, aka Dawn of Discovery) is that there's no clear feedback regarding how many of a building you'll need for minimum efficiency. How many wheat fields do I need for one mill? How many mills for one bakery? How many houses for one bakery? And that's just one example. Then there's the trade route system, which is simple to setup but still a nightmare to manage.
    Which is why, in both cases, the first thing you do is look up something like this:

http://www.anno1404-rechner.de/versorgung?lang=en

There's an equivalent for 1701 floating around, as well. I agree wholeheartedly that this information should be in the game without having to experiment to excess to find it, but don't let that ruin it for you.

To all people complaining about UbiSoft ownership: Oh go home. The game got that much better under UbiSoft than it ever did under Jowood. Never played 1701, but the leap from 1503 to 1404 is a GIGANTIC one in terms of gameplay and content. (as well as prettiness)

Also, the combat is a tad simple, but it works. Basically, all of your ships are "heroes", with upgrades and special weapons in their "inventory". And unless you play with eternally friendly AIs, the combat makes sense. This game is about resources, and the war you spark makes sense in the way of getting more of them.

Still, it could be a bit streamlined, though I got the impression that Venice added all the right things.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."