Thread: Below Kryll

Obscure Node

Below Kryll: Limited alpha (1000 players)

Hey RPS peeps!
    New guy JermEx here, long time reader, was wondering if you folks were interesting in a crazy indie game I stumbled over and have become obsessed with.*Edit* (And was recently made community manager of)
    http://www.belowkryll.com

Its a 2d puzzle/platformer. The world map is composed of player made areas. Your ninja acquires XP and gold. XP levels the ninja up and unlocked new abilities, which in turn allows you to progress further below Kryll.
    The gold is used to buy land to create levels in, it also unlocks items in the level editor.

I actually started up a youtube account and started making videos (albeit bad ones) in an attempt to promote this game!
    For some reason it still hasn't really come up in any major media websites yet (A post by indiestatik, which was great)

Was hoping RPS could have a look? Or at least some of it's fine community members :)
    I'm not looking for any personal promotion, the game requires an active community to fuel itself.
    (since the world is player created, need players to create. Kinda a chicken before egg before chicken scenario)
    The current world is just over 110 areas I think, and the majority of that was made by like 15 guys XD.

Anyway, here are some videos I've done, and some pictures I've taken of in-game pixel art ^_^

Last edited by jermexmachina; 08-12-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Better explanation of the game

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I'm not buyin' the whole "crazy indie game I stumbled over," but that's irrelevant, really.
    I don't know if it's a good name or not, but Below Kryll caught my interest enough to check the post.

Obscure Node
    Did I mention the game has logic gates for use in map creation?

In this screenshot I use all three logic gates in the main quest of the area I created.
    The And trigger is used because the main quest has 2 objectives that must be completed before finishing.
    The Not trigger creates a condition for failure of the quest if you fail in one of the objectives
    The Or trigger is setup to keep outputting a certain trigger after it's been activated.

That is just how I have mine setup. I'm stupid when it comes to logic.

Obscure Node
    OK! So Below Kryll has had a huge buncha updates recently! One of which has made it possible to take snapshots of an entire level :) Which is way better than trying to screen cap it like I did above.
    Here are some examples of that in action.

I really love adding pixel art to my levels ^_^

And if you are interested in some of the awesome features they have added to the game, you can check out a video I did!

Obscure Node
    Any anime fans here on RPS? One of the players, Gors, recreated the Evangelion theme in Below Kryll!

Obscure Node
    It hit steam greenlight today!
    It's now in open beta.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=197415097

Obscure Node
    Hi all! We just launched an indiegogo campaign in an effort to raise funding.
    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/below-kryll/x/5633853

Obscure Node
    Well we made the front page of Rock paper shotgun! Tis a good day!
    I was made part of the team recently, at the time I posted this I was only an alpha tester.

If anyone has any questions or comments we would be happy to answer them here or anywhere ^_^
    We launched our Creators Crusade event today, so level creation will be open to trial accounts.
    Last edited by jermexmachina; 12-12-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: typos