Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

GFWL will be discontinued on July 1, 2014

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/...es-online-info

Games for Windows Live will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. Although it is available through Steam, Age of Empires Online requires features of the Games for Windows Live service. You can continue to enjoy all the features of Age of Empires Online as the service will remain 100% operational until July 1, 2014 when the server will shut down.

I wonder what happens to old games like Universe at War.

or Section 8.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I feel like this is something of an appendage to the thread I made, buuuuuuuut, this is certainly definitive.

This is massive news, not least in itself, but also what it suggests. A spate of new titles have been announced with confirmed no GFWL where predecessors have, Steam database trawlers have discovered that several titles that are still popular are having GFWL removed and relying solely on Steamworks (Batman Arkham games, Bioshock 2 in particular) and all-but confirms that the Halo titles, also discovered in the database trawls, will be coming to Steam.

Fortunately, a couple of diligent people have posted on NeoGAF providing lists of affected games.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Funny after MS executive producer just gave this talk at GDC:
    Removing spending cap saved Age of Empires Online

I hope relic puts in Steam in Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising. Hope it does not break those games' ability to play the campaign.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post

Fortunately, a couple of diligent people have posted on NeoGAF providing lists of affected games.
    "Safe!
    Age of Empires Online - Sans-GFWL version exists on Steam today."

Always amusing when someone expands on news without reading the original story.
    Anyway I think most GFWL games don't need online activation.

Network Hub
    How does that work for DaS? Will I no longer be able to enjoy some jolly cooperation come next year?

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    "Safe!
    Age of Empires Online - Sans-GFWL version exists on Steam today."

Always amusing when someone expands on news without reading the original story.
    Anyway I think most GFWL games don't need online activation.
    Well that was based only on the marketplace news. I guess this post is more up-to-date, but of course without MS confirming exactly what this means for all these titles, some will be a lot more up in the air than others.

Quote Originally Posted by EOT View Post
    How does that work for DaS? Will I no longer be able to enjoy some jolly cooperation come next year?
    Are you referring to Dark Souls with that? If so, there's a few permutations, but considering Dark Souls 2 will not have GFWL, but will have the MP system it has, I wouldn't be surprised if they let (that part) of DS1 die. Of course, they could patch out the GFWL part of DS1 so that it's still playable, but has no online component, or that they do what a few devs have done, use DS1 as a test-bed for their future online elements for DS2, so that DS1 would be GFWL-free and essentially still completely playable.

Good riddance. And stay down.

The notice on the link informing us of this has been removed. The page now simply lists details and links for AoEO. Someone shot the gun a bit too early?

Banned
    Dang. Guess I'll never try out Section 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Dang. Guess I'll never try out Section 8.
    Almost nobody was playing it a few months after release. So I dont think the shutdown of Gfwl will affect it much. Still a shame that you wont be able to set up your own servers!

I also just realized that Blazblue: Calamity Trigger was released for PC. Didnt know about this at all!

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Time to re-visit Liberty City while I can, I guess. No chance Rockstar will patch it, is there?

I'm really worried about my Dark Souls. Not that the online part was THAT big of a deal, what with my connection being terrible anyway. Any invader usually meant I was a few minutes away from a lag backstab and instant death regardless. But being able to call help for Capra Demon (because seriously screw that guy) was the best thing.

Now what? Seriously, didn't people predict crap like that when they first started coming out with things like Steam and the like? I'm not really surprised that MS are the first to fold like that, leaving everybody who relied on their "service" out in the cold, but does this really mean that the game I bought a year ago will be gimped in another years time? Yes, I know DaS 2 will be out by then, but FUUUUUUUUUU-

Quote Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
    I'm really worried about my Dark Souls. Not that the online part was THAT big of a deal, what with my connection being terrible anyway. Any invader usually meant I was a few minutes away from a lag backstab and instant death regardless. But being able to call help for Capra Demon (because seriously screw that guy) was the best thing.

Now what? Seriously, didn't people predict crap like that when they first started coming out with things like Steam and the like? I'm not really surprised that MS are the first to fold like that, leaving everybody who relied on their "service" out in the cold, but does this really mean that the game I bought a year ago will be gimped in another years time? Yes, I know DaS 2 will be out by then, but FUUUUUUUUUU-
    Seems like Dark Souls might be OK.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSFDuhQCQAA8smK.png

GTA4 though? Yeah, wouldn't hold your breath for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Herzog View Post
    Almost nobody was playing it a few months after release. So I dont think the shutdown of Gfwl will affect it much. Still a shame that you wont be able to set up your own servers!
    Not sure about the original game, but Section 8: Prejudice actually had some pretty decent AI bots, so people can still play against them. (Assuming the game still works after GFWL shuts down).

S8P really didn't deserve to die like it did; it was a very fun shooter. They probably doomed themselves by picking GFWL as their multiplayer back end.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    Seems like Dark Souls might be OK.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSFDuhQCQAA8smK.png

GTA4 though? Yeah, wouldn't hold your breath for that one.
    I also heard that this is just a rumor and not confirmed by From or Namco Bandai....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    That Facebook post is a fake, unfortunately.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    S8P really didn't deserve to die like it did; it was a very fun shooter. They probably doomed themselves by picking GFWL as their multiplayer back end.
    That was pretty much the only reason why I never even tried it. "This looks fun... oh, GFWL? Too bad".

(Event Horizon was similar, just replace "GFWL" with "DX10")

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    If through some miracle it survives the cull of GFWL and becomes free of it and playable afterwards, you should try it. It is a very fun shooter with tonnes that sets it apart from other shoots around that time, just didn't have the community to keep it going.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Section 8: Prejudice has coop multiplay though. dont know if thats only over LIVE servers or local ones.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."