Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Obscure Node
    Or gears of war which IS the only game I play..

that sounds good, even though I couldnt stand DS1 for PC.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    If you look on the previous page, you'll see my repeated detailing of the Ace Combat: Assault Horizon game's port from GFWL to Steamworks. I imagine they'll either follow that or use whatever system they've implemented for DaS2.

Additionally, Microsoft are hardly in a rush to say that one of their services are going to be out of action. All we know is that clearly something happened and MS clearly let publishers/devs know that they would like any plans to remove GFWL from supported games to come to fruition. We also know a couple of hirings have been intended on utilising the PC space better and they've not been against releasing PC versions of games coming out on the 360/XB1/Win8 Shop.

So July 1 might mean nothing, it might mean everything. At this point the date is redundant because changes are already happening and are clearly continuing to do so.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but the Steam page of DoW 2 says

We are currently working on updating this title to be fully SteamWorks compatible - once complete this update will be made available, for free, to all owners
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Activated Node
    I just realized yesterday while browsing my Steam wishlist that Fable III is no longer available. Anywhere. And it's all thanks to GFWL.

If you want it, you're going to have to pirate it. That's incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but the Steam page of DoW 2 says
    I want to say this has been mentioned before, but actually putting it on the Steam page is a good sign. At the very least, there's been hints to them doing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasarius View Post
    If you want it, you're going to have to pirate it. That's incredible.
    There's a handful of games that to obtain on the PC and be able to play you'll need to pirate that have come from this scheme. But don't worry! Microsoft is committed to supporting the PC!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    There's a handful of games that to obtain on the PC and be able to play you'll need to pirate that have come from this scheme. But don't worry! Microsoft is committed to supporting the PC!
    And there are countless more where this holds true just because they are old. Hell, plenty of dos and early windows games just don't work on modern systems (even with dosbox) because the technique used for the disc check doesn't work anymore (hello Star Crusader :p).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

There is a substantial difference though between evolving technology and things becoming largely obsolete, and something having its functionality intentionally stopped. You also get old games being supported by GOG and I'm sure other legitimate digital shops.

It's still hilarious that a lot of the reasons early on into the 360's life that games weren't ported (or were and then tied to GFWL) was due to concerns of piracy, especially given that GFWL was so hideous it actually provoked more piracy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    There is a substantial difference though between evolving technology and things becoming largely obsolete, and something having its functionality intentionally stopped. You also get old games being supported by GOG and I'm sure other legitimate digital shops.
    And we get these games being supported by the devs. If you don't like that a game isn't being ported, keep in mind that plenty of games still aren't on GoG

The fact that we actually can say that sites like GoG and the like are making old games playable legally is a WONDERFUL thing. But that wasn't true a few years back.

Does it suck that a lot of games won't be playable without a crack? Of course it does. I went through hell the other week to get the Dungeon Siege expansions working with Steam (or Dungeon Siege working with my computer period :p). But that is the price we pay as gamers. I have a bunch of NES cartridges in a closet that I will likely never play again. I COULD go through the hassle of setting up my NES and the like, but that is far more effort than just grabbing a rom would take. I played the hell out of Star Crusader when I was a kid, and I still can't get it working in dosbox legitimately. And I wanted to play Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate, and that was impossible between windows 98 and windows 7 :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

In the last few years there's been quite a push for all things retro, be it retro themed games or just the old games brought back to life. It's hardly a surprise that there's a clamour then for these games when people are going "...man, I really wanna play this game again!" Personally, I believe obtaining cracks for a game that is no longer obtainable legally and sees no likely situation of being so as being entirely grey territory, even if legally I accept otherwise.

The thing is, this conversation doesn't even need to be said with hindsight. Emulation has been happening for some time now. That Microsoft couldn't see this coming when they came up with the damn service is incredibly curious and shows just how much of a commitment they have to the PC service. If they really cared, truly, deeply, we'd actually see something from then.

Instead we're seeing developers scrambling to make their games playable. Or not, if you're Capcom.