Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Active publishers will have to patch it out or stop selling those games entirely. I can't see Rockstar pulling GTA 4 off the market. It would alienate fans prior to the release of GTA5. I could see them doing a lazy patch that just removes multiplay entirely, though, rather than replacing it with another service.

Which is probably the biggest concern. Patching out GFWL wouldn't be difficult for most games, but I don't see alot of publishers revisiting older games to redo multiplayer that relied on GFWL in the past. That would take more work.

But, yeah, shit like this makes you happy that pirate sites exist. If not for them games that are no longer supported by their publishers could potentially fall down the memory whole when services like this die. Of course that only works for games that are primarily single player.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 21-08-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    BioShock 2 just dropped GFWL.
    Minerva's Den added to everybody who owned the game on Steam before the switch.
    You can now activate the retail keys or keys bought from other sites and you'll also receive Minerva's Den.
    The Protector Trials DLC is also included.
    Multiplayer switched to Steamworks.
    Full controller support added.
    Steam achievements are supported, not sure if they went live too.

The best BioShock is now even better!
    Last edited by SirKicksalot; 03-10-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wonder if this means they'll do a 'Gold' edition of Dirt3 without the ever-expensive DLC you need to complete the fucker...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Ahahahahahahahah.

'Gold' edition of Dirt 3.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I don't think Showdown used GFWL, so I imagine they'll write off 3 and just make sure future releases remain non-GFWL.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Yeah, Codemasters isn't exactly known for extended support for past titles. I do hope the Batman games and Dark Souls get updated as well, but it's a slim hope.

Well, theoretically we'll all happily be playing Dark Souls 2 at that point so we won't even care, but in the off chance that DaS2 sucks for some reason (touch wood) and for the sake of going back to an old game because it's still good, I really really hope there's at least something in the works. FROM still patched the PC version a week ago so they're definitely not slouches so... maybe?

But both patches took a really long time and barely did anything. Removing GFWL from a multiplayer game is a non-trivial task and I don't think they're up for it.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    It's possible whatever system they implement in Dark Souls 2 they'll implement in DS1 down the line, or perhaps beforehand as a test-bed for 2.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    BioShock 2 just dropped GFWL.
    Minerva's Den added to everybody who owned the game on Steam before the switch.
    You can now activate the retail keys and you'll receive Minerva's Den.
    This is excellent news. Looks like I'll be starting another playthrough very soon.

I just popped on to Steam when I heard that Minerva's Den was available, only to find out I can't buy it because Steam says I already own it!

That is bloody nice of them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I'm glad to see it go, but I'm sorry to see what it's taking with it. That's the legacy of intrusive DRM, though, it wipes out huge chunks of gaming history when it finally curls up and dies. I shudder to think what it'll look like the day Steam goes offline.

The only way Steam goes offline is if Yellowstone explodes or some other Emmerich scenario happens.
    But but look at Atari!... Yeah, giants die, but Valve's too flexible and Steam is too big and too intimately linked to gamers for that to happen.
    Even if Steam goes offline there are cracks and there are ways to play multiplayer. All that's going to be truly lost is the social bullshit.

I wonder if the local servers always need to call the Seattle mothership though. Or in the event of Modern Warfare 2 happening IRL, perhaps local hosts can take over them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    The only way Steam goes offline is
    ...once enough time has passed. All things end. There's a huge swath of gaming locked up by Steamworks, and one day it'll all disappear. Cracks are no guarantee, look at that list of GfWL games and consider how many of them have functional GfWL removers.

But GFWL games work fine offline and with some registry hacks you can play them on Hamachi.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Minervas den has been rescued by its developers(link), its free dlc on steam for all owners, all bioshock 2 keys will activate on steam.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Activate your BioShock 2 retail key on Steam and it will give you Minerva too. I just did it today.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    ...once enough time has passed. All things end. There's a huge swath of gaming locked up by Steamworks, and one day it'll all disappear. Cracks are no guarantee, look at that list of GfWL games and consider how many of them have functional GfWL removers.
    Doesn't need removing, just bypassing. You can have an offline profile, which I think is how most of the earlier cracks worked.

Activated Node
    man i'd love seeing DS go to Steam, maybe i could start actually playing multiplayer

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Activate your BioShock 2 retail key on Steam and it will give you Minerva too. I just did it today.
    Excellent news! That DLC was quite hard to get hold of.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    But I loooved GFW Live!

The UI was consistent with the way Windows™ gamers want to interact! It was free to developers, and had reduced technical requirements. Best of all, it no longer required a subscription fee!

Remember Live Anywhere™?? Remember when the floodgates opened for cross-platform play?!

REMEMBER THE LOGIN WINDOW!!