Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Punk in drublic, the general punk rock appreciation thread

So heya guys, we've been spammin' the "now listening" thread for some time now, gotta keep all those great recommendations in one place for the sake of future generation's happiness and spreading the good word, you know.

So we've been through Andrew Jackson Jihad, Johnny Hobo and Wingnut Dishwasher Union. The first two are damn great, Wingnut didn't strike the right chord in me so I guess I'm not hippie enough, or whatever.

Then our dear GraveyardJimmy recommended One Reason and Arms Aloft, which I didn't try yet but I certainly will.

Tried The Bike is a Pipe Bomb the other day and it was OK, just OK, then Defiance, Ohio and it wasn't really much good anyway and Ghost Mice which I believe is pretty overrated. Captain Chaos isn't good as well, on the live recording split with Johnny Hobo he did not well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    Tried The Bike is a Pipe Bomb the other day and it was OK, just OK, then Defiance, Ohio and it wasn't really much good anyway and Ghost Mice which I believe is pretty overrated. Captain Chaos isn't good as well, on the live recording split with Johnny Hobo he did not well at all.
    The Ghost mice are incredibly whiney, but they grew on me.

Check out the crack rock steady bands- Leftover Crack, Choking Victim are probably the highlights, especially LoC.

Also perhaps some local bands would be cool to share. My friends band (Dirty Revolution) toured with the slackers and are pretty good if you like ska-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Ifyoumakeit.com is an awesome site. It features free albums, the pink coach (bands come and play acoustic sets), live videos and general radness all around.

If you like Jawbreaker check out Blake's new band Forgetters.

Other (not really obscure) bands i love and hold dearly are Fugazi, Wipers, the Smiths, Hot Snakes/Obits, early get up kids, the van pelt/the lapse, some girls and american nightmare/give up the ghost.

Wes Eisold, singer of the latter, is currently involved in the new wave-ish synthpop project cold cave. Good stuff if you like the genre.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 05-06-2011 at 06:46 PM.

OP: If you're into folk punk at all, you should check out ONSIND / One Night Stand in North Dakota. Imo they are an awesome and utterly underrated band.

The only punk band I'm into is NOFX. Can't say I'm too smitten by the sound of punk rock, but Fat Mike's lyrics are insightful, witty and honest enough that I can still relate to their music. And I know not a lot of people are going to agree with me on this, but I think Wolves in Wolves Clothing is their best album. Listen to it in my car all the time. :)

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    The only punk band I'm into is NOFX. Can't say I'm too smitten by the sound of punk rock, but Fat Mike's lyrics are insightful, witty and honest enough that I can still relate to their music. And I know not a lot of people are going to agree with me on this, but I think Wolves in Wolves Clothing is their best album. Listen to it in my car all the time. :)
    If ya like NOFX (especially Punk in Drublic) give the UK band Snuff a go (if you haven't already). They're very good, started around the same time as NOFX and would probably share the same influences-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77CtWpgyMLA

Old classic

You punks can have your Raw Power, your Marquee Moon, your Sham 69 and your Rock For Light, the most punk rock shit I've ever heard is Arise!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvhkCCUWZLY

You just can't mess with that. Discharge come pretty close but they ruined themselves when they went metal so Amebix win out.

You punks can have your Raw Power, your Marquee Moon, your Sham 69 and your Rock For Light, the most punk rock shit I've ever heard is Arise!
    Couldn't care less for the first ones you mentioned but Amebix are effin' good. Of course the ignorant oi-punk of BLITZ should get some love too.

What about all the old 80's US hardcore? Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Circle Jerks and VOID to name a few.
    Oooh, and Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, X, Avengers, Fear.

And of course, my personal favourite band:

All those guys plus Deep Wound, Negative Approach and, especially, Siege. I love that Drop Dead tape so much I was shattered when I lost it. Good thing that it was reissued a few times so I was able to get it on CD. With bonus tracks!

Cool, glad to see RPS had a few members with good taste in punk and hardcore!! There's a new Amebix song, I'm so glad it's not a load of shit :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzTP0HXjs88

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Bad Religion. Enough said. They're currently touring Europe, go see them.

On a similar note, I've fairly recently discovered The Thermals. Not familiar with their other albums, but "The Body, The Blood, The Machine" ranks up there with Bad Religion's best.

For something different, try Sleater-Kinney. Carrie Brownstein's understated, inventive lead guitar riffs are a crucial part of the sound; the instrumentation consists of two guitars tuned down 1.5 steps, and drums. No bass. Go listen to "Dig Me Out", "Call the Doctor", and "All Hands on the Bad One". Not every song falls neatly into the category of punk, but that doesn't detract from its quality.

I was playing this wit ma buddies earlier today, what a choooon :)

and some more for good measure

some more of the remastered stuff

THE MIGHTY SKITKIDS

City of Angels by the Distillers is pretty good, in my opinion:

Last edited by StrangLove; 01-07-2011 at 08:00 AM. Reason: For the motherland.

Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh! - The Album. 41 bands playing 64 songs in under 14 minutes, it's pretty sick.

listening a lot to Glasses & Punch, getting in the mood for Fluff Fest

Feederz

Haven't been here for a while, shame on me!

Wolvenswan, do you have any decent recommendations for some modern punk rock which kicks ass and is _melodic_? Pop punk especially?