Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

[VS & NC]Outfit Anniversary Weekend: 9/10 November 2013, United Kingdom

This thread will hopefully be kept up to date with information as time goes on. Last update: 2013/08/20

What?
    RPS and RTRS want to celebrate having been around for a year (ish) and have a big get together. So our current plan is to hire a big house/mansion/lodge/castle/hostel and have a party there, with games, conversation, intoxicants and what have you.

When?
    Weekend of 9/10th November, 2013. Expectation is that we'll have the property (wherever it may be) for Friday and Saturday nights at least, possibly Sunday as well if minimum period is 3 days. People can then arrive either on Friday night, or throughout the day on Saturday (with board games etc throughout sat) with the ig get together Saturday evening.

Where?

Manchester, based around http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/manchester][SIZE=2]the Manchester/Castlefield Youth Hostel[SIZE=2] (More details and locations to follow).

How do I get there?
    For getting to Manchester:
    Manchester has several stations: Manchester Picadilly, Manchester Victoria, Manchester Oxford Road and Deansgate are all suitable for us. They are all searchable on the [url=[/SIZE]
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk]National Rail Enquiries website[/url] under the combined heading "Manchester".
    Manchester is also reachable by coach. Consult http://www.transportdirect.info and National Express for more information.
    You can obviously also drive to Manchester. On street parking is rather short supply around the Hostel - I'll see if I can dig up more information.
    For those coming from outside the country (or a long way inside), there are the Airports you may wish to consider:
    Manchester Airport (20 minute train journey/20 minute drive)
    Liverpool John Lennon airport (40 minute coach/10 minute bus + 40 minute train/40 minute drive)
    Leeds-Bradford Airport (40 minute bus + 60 minute train (note: may not sync up well)/ 70 minute drive)

Birmingham International Airport (2 hour train/2 hour drive (or slightly shorter drive + tolls)
    East Midlands Airport (35 minute bus + 90 minute train/ 105 minute drive)
    All other major international airports are > 2 hours away. If you're fine with that, go ahead.

Getting to the YHA once in Manchester:
    Directions given based off arrival point in to Manchester:

From Manchester Picadilly Station - Two options - either a train that is calling at Deansgate, or the Tram. Either will be included in your ticket to "Manchester Ctlz". For trains, consult the display boards. For trams, from the main station concourse, head down the stairs towards "Metrolink". You wish to board trams for: Eccles, Media City, Altrincham or Didsbury. Leave the tram at Deansgate-Castlefield. Follow directions below from here.

From Manchester Victoria Station. Tram is the most sensible option here. Take trams for Altrincham or Didsbury. Leave the tram at Deansgate-Castelfield and follow directions below. It is also possible to jump on the free MetroShuttle line 2 (green) that collects from the station, and leave the bus at Deansgate Locks, by Deansgate-Castlefield station. This is likely to be slower and present a slightly longer walk.

From Manchester Oxford Road. Probably easiest to not get off here, and instead at Picadilly, however, if you do so, you can either walk the whole distance (turn left out the end of the station access road. Walk pretty much straight on until you find the terraces mentioned in the Deansgate Castlefield directions). Alternativley ride the free Metroshuttle bus line 2 (green) until the Liverpool Street stop. Get off there, walk briefly in the direction you had been travelling, then turn left through the parkland/castle area. You should soon see the spiral staircase mentioned below.

From Manchester Central Coach Station. You want to get to Picadilly Gardens Tram stop. Leave the station, find your way to Portland Street (big wide, busy road). Turn right along that. It should be obvious when you reach the tram stop. Get Trams in direction of Eccles, Media City, Altrincham or Didsbury. Follow walking directions from Deansgate-Castlefield below. You will need a ticket as a coach passenger.

From Deansgate-Castlefield. If arriving at the train platform, take the bridge to the tram stop. From the tram stop, proceed in the direction of trams towards Altrincham/Eccles/Didsbury. Walk through the raised car park to the end - there is a spiral staircase at the end, and a lift to the side. Descend the staircase/lift. Continue in the broad direction you were heading, along Beaufort st/Duke place. You should come to some steps down through a terraced area, walk down them and arrive at the docks. The hostel is pretty much just the other side of the docks. Walk around, and through the access at the end to arrive at at the YHA.

Useful stuff:
    Google maps of Manchester YHA
    Tram (Metrolink) Map
    Free bus (Metroshuttle) map.

What is needed from me?
    Attend!
    Be excellent!
    Give bar/restaurant suggestions.
    Stay safe by following CMaster's kinda wooly guide:

• Meet in a public place. Here that will be either the YHA or another bar/restaurant we are at.
    • Make sure people you know personally know where you have gone and who (roughly) you were meeting. Means you can't just dissappear
    • Know enough about where you are going (Manchester) that you know how to get away again if you need to. Don't be dependent on people you haven't met (I realise that the room bookings in this case mean there is some)

Last edited by CMaster; 30-10-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Adding more info

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Reserved for info dumps

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Websites currently being searched for places:

http://www.groupaccommodation.com
    http://www.welcomecottages.com/
    http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/
    http://www.homeaway.co.uk/United-Kingdom/r21234.htm
    http://www.independentcottages.co.uk
    http://www.statelyescapes.co.uk/

Any more, feel free to add them.
    Also, suggestion from Gribble - contact Youth Hostels (especially YHA?) regards hiring entire place.
    Things that we want:
    • Good communal spaces for board games and party
    • Lots of beds
    • Accessible - so probably avoid Cornwall/Scotland/Snowdonia
    • Available (or at least, not definitely unavailable) that weekend.

Personally, I'm quite taken by www.wheatacrehallbarns.co.uk

It's near Norwich and Lowestoft and they will be served by plenty of trains etc. Not too far from London for people to fly in. Possibly a bit far for those from Scotland. Seems quite luxury, but I'm cool with that :P. As bookings are done per barn, people can buddy up and sort out each barn between them, rather than rely on one person to sort out everything.

Works out just under £70 each for the weekend which is Fri, Sat and Sun nights. Price includes all 3 and they don;t do part weekends, so good and bad, more for those who can't make the Friday, but does allow flexibility in when people arrive etc.

There are 2 two person barns which work out a lot more at £165 per person, but I am happy to take one of those with my better half.

Places sleeps 28 (maybe 30 at a squeeze) but can be done with a combination of the barns. Just be aware that if you don;t fill a barn, you are still charged for the whole thing.

They also accept shopping to be delivered when ordered online form Tesco, Sainsburys etc, and this can be done ahead of time with negotiations etc. Seems to be plenty of room for games etc and a play pen for Moxxi.

all in all a very good option, a bit out of the way but meeting with people first in lowestoft and getting a taxi together should keep costs down.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    That place looks good. My main concern with it is that Norwich is far from everywhere in terms of time if not distance. However, we're unlikely to find somewhere that is perfect in every regard and a bit of extra driving isn't that bad.

At the risk of throwing this thread wildly off topic...

Background for non-UK people:
    5 November is celebrated in Britain as 'bonfire night' or 'Guy Fawkes night'. People have huge bonfires and set off fireworks to commemorate a particular 17th century freedom fighter/terrorist called Guy Fawkes.

Does this have any bearing on our plans? Could we do some fireworks?
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

I doubt any venue would be happy letting strangers set off fireworks in their gardens unfortunately, I'd scratch the idea.

Edit: I am also happy with Dewi's suggested venue and its pricing.

May i suggest we focus the thread first on getting accommodation sorted please? There will be lot of time to talk about cake, boardgames, fireworks, etc.. Once we've booked accommodation and subsequent travel tickets (remember that each passing day means travel cost going up)

If Im showing up, itll be spontaneous. It all depends on how my trip to the UK in october is.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    May i suggest we focus the thread first on getting accommodation sorted please? There will be lot of time to talk about cake, boardgames, fireworks, etc.. Once we've booked accommodation and subsequent travel tickets (remember that each passing day means travel cost going up)
    Quite right, I just have the attention span of a toddler who's eaten all the red sweeties. I'll try to contain my random thoughts for now.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    If Im showing up, itll be spontaneous. It all depends on how my trip to the UK in october is.
    That's cool, we'll have to book based on numbers confirmed, but as it per barn they may be space left afterwards, at which point you would need to sort out money with the others in that particular barn (I am talking like this place is a done deal aren't I? you know what I mean).

Only thing is, those who confirm will be given priority, I'm sure you understand so if there is no room, well, there's no room.

Activated Node
    Even though I'm kinda still 'new-ish' to the outfit, I'd be up for this if I could get the weekend off work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think we can do better than Wheat Acre. (Although I'll agree that the flexibility numbers wise of lots of barns is good.). I don't think that out in Norfolk is ideal, but mostly my concern is the lack of a good communal space to all get together. Yeah, there's the games room, but it doesn't look very comfortable and is filled up with table tennis and pool tables. The lounges in the barns will be fine for board game groups, but we'll be really broken up across the weekend.

I'm not dead set against it or anything. I just think we can do better.

It's bloody expensive to travel to anywhere major in england from up here, incurring large additional travel costs and time to get somewhere could be deal breaker for us poor people.
    Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.
    Never Fear Love.
    DTP. Grace.

I saw we all fly to another country, aka vienna, to give everyone the same travel costs ;D
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    I think we can do better than Wheat Acre. (Although I'll agree that the flexibility numbers wise of lots of barns is good.). I don't think that out in Norfolk is ideal, but mostly my concern is the lack of a good communal space to all get together. Yeah, there's the games room, but it doesn't look very comfortable and is filled up with table tennis and pool tables. The lounges in the barns will be fine for board game groups, but we'll be really broken up across the weekend.

I'm not dead set against it or anything. I just think we can do better.
    Hehe, well if you're on mumble tonight before SWAT we can do a brainstorm.

Twennynoin, and anyone else that's thinking this way for that matter, this is not an "old-boys" club. Sure, some of us have played since launch, some since before that, but we are all part of the RPS community. If you wanna come, go for it! You are more than welcome!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Large, communal space does seem important. Someone linked one that they said looked a bit rubbish, but it had multiple pool tables! Practicality (location, cost, large communal space and kitchen) should perhaps take precedence over authentic period detailing, miniature soap quality etc.

short list the 5 best locations peoples come up with, and put them to the vote. £50-80 per person for accom seems reasonable to me, i guess it will be transport costs that are the killer for most. Of those 5 ideally at least one would be northern, one southern, and one midlands.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    For cheap travel always remember the national express coaches.

Not the quickest, at all, but can be absurdly cheap. For those travelling from Scotland; if the location is booked somewhere east of the Pennines I can put you up in Gateshead for a night if you'd like to break the journey due to how long it takes to get anywhere from north of the border...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I like the barns, but do agree that communal space is important, if not the key. I'm willing to splurge up to £100 for the weekend's accommodation, but less would be nice.

Travel can be worked out, really. Those with cars could possibly be nice enough to collect giraffes from local train stations / coach stations, or even offer lifts if convenient.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I think I might need to sweet talk my parents into lending me some cash if we've gotta prebook sooner rather than later ^^ but really, I don't mind where it is since I'm quite centrally located, so long as it's not highlands since that would almost definitely price me out unless my fortunes change in the next couple of weeks.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus