Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 114

Thread: Gone Home

  1. #1
    Obscure Node lordpiggsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Sty
    Posts
    21

    Gone Home

    [Hello, this is your friendly neighborhood Jams O'Donnell. I think there are major spoilers in the first post, so I'm adding this warning and a bunch of white space. This is not necessarily the discussion of the game you might have been hoping for.]





















    Or how some profligate hipster learned that he could supply himself with as much PBR as is required by charging 13.49 for something he coded in an afternoon.

    Yeah, I'll get it out of the way, I didn't have high hopes for this game. Maybe that's a bad thing for me, that I didn't go in as a "blank slate" which John Walker thinks I should do. Gone Home is a Unity tech demo which has seemingly garnered gleaming reviews for the poorly written 'narrative' which has been tacked on. Something about this chick finding out her sister has run away to be a lesbian and the entire family is really untidy and hates the environment (who the hell leaves their TV on like that... in every room of the house) and there's some references to Nintendo which is clearly why the guy is charging for this mess, copyright issues. Oh and I was reminded of how awful my first girlfriend's taste in music was, seriously, riot grrl is dead for a reason. And it isn't the mean old patriarchy. It's because Josie and the Pussycats happened.

    So you walk at a snail's pace around this poorly rendered mansion picking things up that belong to your family and you wanna know the first thing I thought when I did this in the game? "It's just like that small bit of Fallout: New Vegas that I love". And it is. What some hipster has done is take one tiny part of a grand game and present it to you in pretty much Flash format and is charging 13.49 for it. "Gone Home is an interactive exploration simulator." is the description from the Steam page. Isn't every fucking video game in existence an interactive exploration simulator?!? Now, I hate to be That Guy and go a bit edgy and Fight Club on people but seriously: open your eyes, people. You're being lied to with this shit. You think the only option other than CoD garbage is this pretentious drivel? Come on. You owe yourselves better and frankly, John Walker, I'm really disappointed in you toting this crap. I'm gonna be brutally honest here and say that the only thing this game has going for it is the social justice undertones, which don't bother me in the slightest (before you start with the SWM shit, I'm bisexual and I'd rather not have straight people thinking they can talk for a community they aren't a part of just to score points) but I'd rather we didn't have gaming saturated by trash like this produced by people who clearly couldn't make a buck off their endeavours in any medium other than gaming, that virgin art form. I'm all for deeper games but if you people think Gone Home is in any way deep then, well, you can't be that well versed in literature or film.

    BONUS ROUND FOR PEOPLE REPLYING:

    Take a drink if you think of saying -
    - hater
    - "Well you haven't made a game"
    - anything negative about my species, goddamn I get enough shit from Jewish people as it is, last thing I need is some sad lawyer making an empty quip and showing that his degree is probably worth about the same as the super lager I'm quaffing

    PS: Hi Zephro, you cutie pie ^_^
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 21-08-2013 at 10:04 AM.

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,182
    I'm sure I would have roughly the same opinion if I had interacted with this product, but I was obviously going to have that reaction to it so like a sensible person I have avoided it.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  3. #3
    Obscure Node lordpiggsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Sty
    Posts
    21
    Oh, I pirated it, same thing I did with Fez when it was announced for the PC. Not playing the game that these artistes want me to play with them, simple as.

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,814
    So why all the hate? Its not like you spent 14 on it

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,048
    So you're complaining because you didn't like something you stole? I think there's nothing left for you to do other than to go get fucked.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

  6. #6
    Obscure Node lordpiggsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Sty
    Posts
    21
    "You didn't pay for it, therefore you can't have an opinion."

    Shit, I should've put that in the bonus round. I mean, how can you possibly find some piece of media trite unless you paid for it? How can you possibly comment on it being a negative impact on a medium unless you give a cash donation? I'm glad you care enough about me that you want me to get laid, though, that's nice.

    People like you say "shut up and take my money" and you aren't even being ironic. Given enough support to developers over the years, thanks, think I'm savvy enough to know when a work is being made by an artist who doesn't deserve a free ride. Besides, all those Unity funded reviews are going to make him a mint, why would it matter if I pirated the game?

    EDIT: Wait, why are you shitting on me complaining and being angry? I thought that was all the rage (BOOM BOOM) among gamers with your funny angry white men like Yahtzee and the Jim Sterling blimp.
    Last edited by lordpiggsworth; 20-08-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: l'espirit d'escalier, read up on that nerds

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,814
    People like you say "shut up and take my money" and you aren't even being ironic.


    How do you know I say that?

    Besides, all those Unity funded reviews are going to make him a mint, why would it matter if I pirated the game?


    What are you now saying that all reviews of this game are positive only because they got paid off? You are deep into some crazy!

  8. #8
    Obscure Node lordpiggsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Sty
    Posts
    21
    You're cute, real cute. I don't know you say that, I'm making a general comment based upon a sentiment which I have encountered among my peers in gaming. Or maybe it's an assumption, those are always good.

    If the concept of paid reviews is so alien to you then I fear you should do a bit of reading about marketing. Honestly, look up astro-turfing. Scary concept and I don't want to acknowledge it but I'd rather look like a tinfoil hat wearing loon than sell my dignity for empty Skinner Box experiences.

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by lordpiggsworth View Post
    but I'd rather we didn't have gaming saturated by trash like this
    Fuck! I loved it but thought it was the only thing like it! Can you tell me where the others are?

    It's story-telling via installation. That's not new, but it's fairly rare, and most people won't have encountered it before because it's a bitch to do that sort of thing. Graphical tech is now up to a point where it can be done virtually, which opens it up loads. I think Oculus Rift will lead to a lot more of this sort of thing, but not from the gaming sector.

    Much like Hate Plus, Gone Home isn't a huge step forwards for video games. As you observe, games have been doing this shit in one way or another for years. But it's a huge step forwards in story-telling. Weaving a narrative through allowing someone to interact with a space is a cool idea.

    Yes, games have done that before. But games have always done it as a side dish to the actual game. Maybe the writing on these things isn't brilliant either, but that's also a consequence of them still being made by people who are game designers first and writers second. And also the fact that when you're working in such a new form, it's going to be harder.

    See, I can give Gone Home to someone that doesn't play games, and tell them it's a virtual installation-based narrative and they'll get it. And they'll think that's really cool. When if they had to shoot zombies 90% of the time to see this 10% of 'game' they'd have no interest.

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by lordpiggsworth View Post
    "You didn't pay for it, therefore you can't have an opinion."
    You can have an opinion on the art. But having an opinion on the price when you didn't pay for it is squiffy.

  11. #11
    Network Hub Raaritsgozilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    300
    I havent played the game, therefore I cant really comment on it, but I kind of agree with the Piggsworth.

    1) He is allowed to comment on a game he has played, positively or negatively regardless of whether he paid for it.

    2) At first I though the idea was awesome. Its good to have views from the other side of things to balance the 'omg this is brilliant.' factor.
    Truth aint gonna change the way you lie, Youth aint gonna change the way you die

  12. #12
    Obscure Node lordpiggsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Sty
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Fuck! I loved it but thought it was the only thing like it! Can you tell me where the others are?

    It's story-telling via installation. That's not new, but it's fairly rare, and most people won't have encountered it before because it's a bitch to do that sort of thing. Graphical tech is now up to a point where it can be done virtually, which opens it up loads. I think Oculus Rift will lead to a lot more of this sort of thing, but not from the gaming sector.

    Much like Hate Plus, Gone Home isn't a huge step forwards for video games. As you observe, games have been doing this shit in one way or another for years. But it's a huge step forwards in story-telling. Weaving a narrative through allowing someone to interact with a space is a cool idea.

    Yes, games have done that before. But games have always done it as a side dish to the actual game. Maybe the writing on these things isn't brilliant either, but that's also a consequence of them still being made by people who are game designers first and writers second. And also the fact that when you're working in such a new form, it's going to be harder.

    See, I can give Gone Home to someone that doesn't play games, and tell them it's a virtual installation-based narrative and they'll get it. And they'll think that's really cool. When if they had to shoot zombies 90% of the time to see this 10% of 'game' they'd have no interest.
    So it's a game for people who don't play games which relies upon its qualities beyond that of a game for judgment?

    Also if you're looking for other games like this, Katawa Shoujo is pretty decent. Seriously though, Recettear is a game that springs to mind which questions what makes fun gameplay while providing a compelling gameplay experience and it has some bloody golden writing. Not from a Western developer, mind, which I know puts a lot of people off in mainstream gaming these days for some reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    You can have an opinion on the art. But having an opinion on the price when you didn't pay for it is squiffy.
    My issue is that it shouldn't be charged for at all.

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,979
    Waiting for it to appear in either a bundle or an insane discount. Because art is art, even if I play 1 for it, but shit art for 14 would make me regretful.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  14. #14
    Network Hub Pertusaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    that island off the coast
    Posts
    404
    I enjoyed it. I liked that interaction with the environment was pretty much the object of the exercise, rather than "go through the room and find the three things you have to use to make the tool that will get you past the current puzzle", as in most point- and-clicks (although I like those as well). I had a good time being nosy and rummaging through a fictional family's stuff, and I got a kick out of the secret passages. The nostalgia was fun, but I was a good bit younger than any of the main characters, so it's not like playing a game about my life. I think it's a good game. That said, I've only played without the audio logs so far, so I can't judge the quality of a lot of the writing, which is part of what you're criticising.

    I also think people have a right to set a price on things they've made (especially where the thing is not necessary to sustain life), although the public has a right not to pay it, or to wait for it to go on sale. Beyond that, every argument I've seen about what games "should" cost has seemed futile. $10 might be pocket change to one person and a month's wages to another. I don't think the developers are going to get filthy rich on this.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    1) He is allowed to comment on a game he has played, positively or negatively regardless of whether he paid for it.
    Yep. And people are allowed to comment on his comments.

    But when his tone right from the start is "I wanted to hate this, so I did, and I wanted to start a fight, so I implied anyone who likes different things than me is brainwashed," then follows up with "By the way I stole this from an indie studio of four people and also here's a weird comment about Jews," he isn't allowed to act surprised when people respond in kind.

    This was flamebait, and he's getting exactly what he wanted. Anyway if someone's incapable of being objective in the slightest about a work of art, they shouldn't expect people to be super balanced and forgiving about anything they write.

  16. #16
    (I think games like Gone Home are something we need more of, and enjoyed it immensely. It might be slightly overpriced, but even if so I'm willing to pay a few more bucks right now to support a small team making huge strides in immersive non-linear storytelling.)

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,979
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    This was flamebait, and he's getting exactly what he wanted..
    Then you admit you are part of the problem? :P
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Then you admit you are part of the problem? :P
    Always.

    (No I'm pretty sure my message was just long enough, thanks though forum script)

  19. #19
    Obscure Node lordpiggsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Sty
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Yep. And people are allowed to comment on his comments.

    But when his tone right from the start is "I wanted to hate this, so I did, and I wanted to start a fight, so I implied anyone who likes different things than me is brainwashed," then follows up with "By the way I stole this from an indie studio of four people and also here's a weird comment about Jews," he isn't allowed to act surprised when people respond in kind.

    This was flamebait, and he's getting exactly what he wanted. Anyway if someone's incapable of being objective in the slightest about a work of art, they shouldn't expect people to be super balanced and forgiving about anything they write.
    There were four people working on that game? Wow.

    It's way too late to make the "don't feed the trolls" addendum to the bonus round, isn't it? Comment about Jewish people was a joke about me being a pig and they don't eat pork, it's hardly rocket surgery but I don't blame you for not being informed about other cultures. I didn't "want to hate" Gone Home at all, however I did go into it with a very strong skepticism as to the reviews which I had read this morning. Didn't say anything about brainwashing, that's far too strong a term; I more think it's a big circle-jerk.

    I fail to see how I'm acting surprised, either. Only thing that might've surprised me is people agreeing.

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,979
    Quote Originally Posted by lordpiggsworth View Post
    Only thing that might've surprised me is people agreeing.
    I agree, too expensive, waiting.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •