Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gone Home

Quote Originally Posted by lordpiggsworth View Post
    Oh, I pirated it, same thing I did with Fez when it was announced for the PC. Not playing the game that these artistes want me to play with them, simple as.
    So you didn't want to play it? Yet you went and pirated it to play it? Great logic there...

Waiting? Was this thing crowdfunded? Heck, I've had a few tinnies and I'm gonna bail now before I get offensive but I feel like I really would've gotten angry if I'd found that thing was on Kickstarter.

I can't help but feel all the reviews saying things like "one of the best video game stories in some time" are doing more harm than good. Take Dark Souls narrative, for instance. It barely exists and yet it has spawned numerous theories speculating character arcs plus it has one of the most compelling grey-area endings I have seen in video games. Hell, I think that was way more progressive in its use of narrative than Gone Home is.

Cute Cthulhu avatar BTW.

EDIT: @LoneGunman - I treated this the same way I treated Passion of the Christ; I found it so reprehensible as to be interesting. There's this thing called "rubbernecking" which applies here I reckon. Yeah, I heard about this game getting universal praise, I questioned it and I had my suspicions confirmed to myself. That's what I did. Thanks for noticing me, it makes me feel loved.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So it's a game for people who don't play games which relies upon its qualities beyond that of a game for judgment?
    Yeah. I'm also fine with it not being called a game at all. I don't really think it is. I think it's far closer to an art installation than a game. Just a virtual one. At some point 'gamers' are going to have to let go of the virtual versions of everything and claiming them for 'gaming'. After all, Gone Home didn't need to be a game. You could have built Gone Home in a real house. But it's far more practical as a virtual thing.

Gone Home has a small 'puzzle' element in terms of piecing together the story, which means it's been considered 'game'. But it's tenuous.

[Please can we not have a debate on what exactly 'game' means as we've done it before loads, and I don't really care if we call it a 'game' or not, just to me what Gone Home is judged on should be somewhat different]

For example imagine something like Gone Home, set in a house, but with characters in there. You can't interact with the world, but just watch the conversations happening. But you can move from room to room in the house, hear different conversations, see different things happening. And once you reach the end you loop back to the start and can watch it from a different perspective, follow different people around and so on, trying to piece together the story. Someone is going to make something like that, and it'll probably be on Steam and called a game. But it's not. It's theatre. It just uses the virtual medium to do theatre in a form that is really hard to do otherwise.

But that's been done. There are theatre productions that happen in mutliple rooms and you can move around and it's up to you what you take in when, which conversations you catch and so forth. Much like Gone Home has been done before in the real world - there are art installations like that where you can look around a few rooms and piece together some sort of narrative from them. They're just not very common for practical reasons. Doing them on a computer is much easier.

But that's kinda why I find it funny that people are judging it as a game because 'it must be, what else can we call it?' when this sort of thing exists already in the real world and has for ages.

Also if you're looking for other games like this, Katawa Shoujo is pretty decent.
    Katawa and other VNs like Ever 17, Steins Gate and stuff are in a similar group to me. Whereas Gone Home is a virtualised art installation, VNs are virtualised novels. And I'd judge them more on the writing than the interactivity.

Seriously though, Recettear is a game that springs to mind which questions what makes fun gameplay while providing a compelling gameplay experience and it has some bloody golden writing.
    The dungeon bits sucked though. But yeah, there's plenty of actual interactive games with good writing too. But I find these 'games' that minimize the ludic elements really interesting as they're proof of concept for something entirely different and new.

Sure, Gone Home may not be wonderfully written but I can't help but think experimental artists and theatre groups will look at it and see the chance to use that form to do awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Yeah. I'm also fine with it not being called a game at all. I don't really think it is. I think it's far closer to an art installation than a game. Just a virtual one. At some point 'gamers' are going to have to let go of the virtual versions of everything and claiming them for 'gaming'. After all, Gone Home didn't need to be a game. You could have built Gone Home in a real house. But it's far more practical as a virtual thing.

Gone Home has a small 'puzzle' element in terms of piecing together the story, which means it's been considered 'game'. But it's tenuous.

[Please can we not have a debate on what exactly 'game' means as we've done it before loads, and I don't really care if we call it a 'game' or not, just to me what Gone Home is judged on should be somewhat different]

For example imagine something like Gone Home, set in a house, but with characters in there. You can't interact with the world, but just watch the conversations happening. But you can move from room to room in the house, hear different conversations, see different things happening. And once you reach the end you loop back to the start and can watch it from a different perspective, follow different people around and so on, trying to piece together the story. Someone is going to make something like that, and it'll probably be on Steam and called a game. But it's not. It's theatre. It just uses the virtual medium to do theatre in a form that is really hard to do otherwise.

But that's been done. There are theatre productions that happen in mutliple rooms and you can move around and it's up to you what you take in when, which conversations you catch and so forth. Much like Gone Home has been done before in the real world - there are art installations like that where you can look around a few rooms and piece together some sort of narrative from them. They're just not very common for practical reasons. Doing them on a computer is much easier.

But that's kinda why I find it funny that people are judging it as a game because 'it must be, what else can we call it?' when this sort of thing exists already in the real world and has for ages.

Katawa and other VNs like Ever 17, Steins Gate and stuff are in a similar group to me. Whereas Gone Home is a virtualised art installation, VNs are virtualised novels. And I'd judge them more on the writing than the interactivity.

The dungeon bits sucked though. But yeah, there's plenty of actual interactive games with good writing too. But I find these 'games' that minimize the ludic elements really interesting as they're proof of concept for something entirely different and new.

Sure, Gone Home may not be wonderfully written but I can't help but think experimental artists and theatre groups will look at it and see the chance to use that form to do awesome.
    So basically what I am to garner is this:

Gone Home isn't a game. You shouldn't judge it as such because why would one judge art with such lofty regards.

I'd have a lengthier response but heres my crux.

You are a fucking idiot.

You are harming the gaming community I grew up supporting.

People like you make me ashamed to say I like video games.

I'ld be happier to mention my sexuality than my hobbies.

That's the environment you created for me. And you want to make out like you'rre progressive.

Fuck you.

Gone Home is patronsing.

You people are like vultures BTW, seriously go work on your own creative shit, you're making me feel self-conscious lol

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

That's the environment you created for me. And you want to make out like you'rre progressive.
    Good. I hope you're miserable and suffer for it. You can't have a grown-up discussion so you just insult people instead.

All those people who judge you and exclude you and made your life miserable by not being your friends? You've been telling yourself your whole life they did it because of your sexuality or because you like videogames?

Bad news, it wasn't because of that, they did it because you're an awful excuse for a human being and so people just don't like you. Maybe if you were a better human being and put some effort into being part of a community rather than sniping at it you might be accepted.

You still won't deserve it though.
    Last edited by deano2099; 21-08-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You people are like vultures BTW, seriously go work on your own creative shit, you're making me feel self-conscious lol
    Be a better person.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Despite having an aversion to these types of 'artworks' (no I'm not going to call it a game) I was actually intrigued by the premise. I decided to give it a shot and paid the $20 for it on Steam. God damn am I disappointed.

What I enjoyed was the initial sequence and all of the non-essential plot points. I loved piecing together the story behind the father. I loved rifling through bits and pieces of the debris of family life in the 90s. The atmosphere of the house was forbidding and mysterious, perhaps even a little threatening even though it should have been familiar. That part was awesome, I want more of that. The attention to detail was great. I'd like to see that kind of exploration incorporated into an actual game, it improved immersion.

What I hated was the primary storyline. It's an overly dramatic teenage love story where the big hook is that the girl is a lesbian. It was contrived and had all the subtlety of a wet fish slapped across your face. I could see it coming from miles away. The fact that it's shoved down your throat and is required for progression doesn't help. It's also remarkably boring. It's pedestrian. If you're homophobic it might have a different impact. I don't really give a shit, so for me it's just a boring teen drama which didn't need so much goddamn focus!

The other plot points were far more interesting and were much more fun to explore without having to listen to obnoxious recorded "journal entries". Piecing things together from forgotten correspondence or receipts or notes was more entertaining than "Oh so I love this girl but she's going away woe is me did I mention I'm a lesbian?" every time I pick up a tape or notebook page or whatever.

In short - lot of potential destroyed by completely lacking in any ability to be subtle. Just like the majority of other 'art games' out there. There seems to be no middle ground between "Hey guys, here's my point, let me just ram it down your throat!" and "Here's a bunch of random stuff, it's enigmatic and mysterious oh god I'm such an artist."
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    It's an overly dramatic teenage love story where the big hook is that the girl is a lesbian.
    Interesting, because I had the opposite reaction: it was pretty obvious from the start, and pretty clearly on purpose. It was, as it should be, treated as completely natural and almost beside the point - like, they didn't play it as a twist, and nearly the entire story could have stayed the same if it had been a hetero relationship. It was refreshing. Yeah, there were one or two references to their having to hide it, but, well, it was the 90s. People are homophobic now, and they were even more homophobic 18 years ago. Were they just supposed to gloss over it? If you thought they were rubbing her sexuality in your face just by writing about the love story - the main story - realistically and openly, I honestly think that might say more about you than the writers' intentions.

And come on - every real life teenage love story is overly dramatic. I kind of feel sorry for people who forget what it was like to be in love at that age (or, I guess, who haven't been in love like that yet).

Banned
    I like you lordpiggsworth. Come over to my house and fuck my sister.

(Actually she ran away. You'll have to find her first)
    (also she's a lesbian)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    The thing is piggy worth it kind of sounded like you had paid money and Gotha crappy game which I understand hating for but didn't happen so all your bile over it is very...odd.

Also we are not ruining gaming by championing these games we are making it diverse so people can experiment like this. It wont radically make gaming like this game just put a few more options which you can ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    The other plot points were far more interesting and were much more fun to explore without having to listen to obnoxious recorded "journal entries". Piecing things together from forgotten correspondence or receipts or notes was more entertaining than "Oh so I love this girl but she's going away woe is me did I mention I'm a lesbian?" every time I pick up a tape or notebook page or whatever.
    You can turn the audio logs off when starting a game and have things be pure exploration / poking around. I think Mom and Dad's stories still end up feeling more like things you have to find for yourself while Sam's story feels like it's sitting in front of you, but that's the choice the devs made, and it partly makes in-game sense. Katie is more concerned about her sister than she is about her parents, and Sam has partially deliberately left a trail for her/you to follow. The parents' stuff is all accidental on their part. As a design decision, I think Sam's story being out in the open gives the game something like a plot, without which it might feel directionless, although I think I'd still like it.

Edit: Piggsworth, what kind of games would you normally play and how do you feel this threatens you as a gamer? People will go right on making FPSes, just like Hollywood and art movies coexist. There's just going to be more different kinds of game, and probably more kinds of gamer.

Deano, ease up. I don't like much of what he's said either, but getting personally nasty isn't helping the community either.
    Last edited by Pertusaria; 21-08-2013 at 09:23 AM.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Let's get some fact straight first.

This game have the most natural voice-over ever (at least Sam's voice).
    This game have the most detailed textures ever (that ain't come with mod).

Ok. Now few things that makes Gone Home really good game. Wild spoilers can appear here - you were warned.

1. Plot. How many times you've seen something like that in game? Something that can happen in every real life familiy? Something normal (although some can argue that beign that certain type of person like Sam isn't normal), without twists etc?

2. How this game mess with you (or rather "your mind is messed by videogames and you will learn about that in this game"). Bathtub stained with some red goo - OMG SOMEONE DIED HERE - nope, it's just red hair dye.
    Locker with digit-based lock? There's many posters with numbers in room with that locker? Let's input them all. None of them works. Even these that MUST WORK BECAUSE IT'S A VIDEOGAME (picture of cat on said locker and collar of said cat that lies nearby and have number on it (collar, not cat)).

3. It's a horror game that doesn't contain anything scary at all, but you will be probably imaginig some grimdark, bloody, gritty, scary stuff here (see first brackets in number 2 entry). Beat that, Amnesia.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    And come on - every real life teenage love story is overly dramatic. I kind of feel sorry for people who forget what it was like to be in love at that age (or, I guess, who haven't been in love like that yet).
    I am a person who, in the midst of experiencing dramatic TEENAGE FEELINGS for myself, still thought that stories centered earnestly around those feelings were necessarily terrible. Some people like that sort of thing, of course; but it's also possible to have narrative preferences like me or soldant even without being [a cooties-conscious Calvin-style 6-year-old] / [a dried up old husk of a person, heart long since withered with world-weariness and 401k pamphlets]. ^_^
    Last edited by Berzee; 21-08-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Did anyone else have normal teenagerhood i mean it sucked being in secondary school but whenever i see people and narratives that show all emotions of being a teenage being very big and it was so much drama I go...really?

Was I just a husk of a human being back then?

Well I say that except for your first love obviously that can be big and earth shattering for a teenager I will admit.

Hey, I loved Dear Esther, got a bit teary as my denouement unfolded.

However, this was shit teenage poetry writ large. Truly awful navel gazing dressed up as art.
    Just think of the stories we could tell if we used the tech at our disposal.

I suspect we are doing so already but the stink of capital kinda skewers it's worth for some people so they champion what's perceived as underground....even if it's shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorltonwheelie View Post
    Just think of the stories we could tell if we used the tech at our disposal.
    A story has always been a simple thing, and telling it has always been difficult. Technology has never changed this and never will. Technology's nothing without people able and willing to put it to good use.

I'll take well-written stories of modest scope over thrown-together epic spectacles any day, especially since it's those modest experiments, when done well, that lay the groundwork for bigger ones.

Gone Home's creators clearly chose a very simple story with very clear narrative constraints, and clearly did it for a reason. And that's OK. Just because you didn't connect with it doesn't mean it wasn't well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I like you lordpiggsworth. Come over to my house and fuck my sister.

(Actually she ran away. You'll have to find her first)
    (also she's a lesbian)
    That's actually a bit closer to one of his previous relationships than you could possibly guess. Except you just did. Bravo, sir!

Sounds like he's wading through empty pop/beer cans to get to his desk.