Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    Any suggestions on how to move those allied stacks starving to death in southern england? I tired having a small stack of my own there but they didn't join it.
    Don't have the game open. But don't you need a fleet to move troops across the channel?

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    It's usually much more cost-effective to use the money to hire mercenaries and capture land.
    Levies are always available, mercenary companies aren't.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 27-08-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Levies are always available, mercenary companies aren't.
    Not only that but its better to have a small core of well built up counties for those times when you have an idiot heir with terrible stewardship. Having direct control of lots of counties is nice but its not something that you can reliably maintain.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Doesn't building a holding also give you more tax revenue? Over time that would pay for itself and more mercenaries on top of the extra troops.

It's a huge expense though, and I'd imagine any realm struggling to field a large army will also struggle to save up that kind of cash.

Not only that but its better to have a small core of well built up counties for those times when you have an idiot heir with terrible stewardship. Having direct control of lots of counties is nice but its not something that you can reliably maintain.
    This is why I like elective over primogeniture. Much wider pool of heirs to choose from = no idiot heirs hopefully. There's a certain amount of micromanaging you have to do with diplomacy and vassals in elective but I find it more than worth it for all the benefits.

(Other big benefit is that if your cousin's sixth son is set to inherit a nice kingdom somewhere you can give him a duchy and make him your heir )
    Last edited by iridescence; 28-08-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by iridescence View Post
    This is why I like elective over primogeniture. Much wider pool of heirs to choose from = no idiot heirs hopefully. There's a certain amount of micromanaging you have to do with diplomacy and vassals in elective but I find it more than worth it for all the benefits.

(Other big benefit is that if your cousin's sixth son is set to inherit a nice kingdom somewhere you can give him a duchy and make him your heir )
    Yeah, elective coupled with a eugenics program and elimination of suboptimal candidates (through marriage, mostly) is quite good. I would rather handle bad opinions than 40 years with an idiot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I'm a fan of elective or Tanistry if I've a lot of non family vassals, that way I know a Dynasty member is going to head up things, and I'm not afraid to take a pillow to those who require it for the good of the family.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Speaking of idiots, all was going right in my Norway playthrough but now suddenly my king died and I am left with 1-year old son of his. 15 years of regency. That will be a fun inward-oriented period.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've picked up this game and could do with some advice myself. Recently, I backed a Claimant on to the throne of a neighbouring kingdom, but other than the 100 opinion he has of me, the change hasn't yielded much fruit. He won't marry any of his children with mine ("desires a better alliance" despite me having a prestige of around 1500), and neither any of his younger siblings. I don't have an alliance with him either, plus I don't have a casus bellie for wagin war on him anymore.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I've picked up this game and could do with some advice myself. Recently, I backed a Claimant on to the throne of a neighbouring kingdom, but other than the 100 opinion he has of me, the change hasn't yielded much fruit. He won't marry any of his children with mine ("desires a better alliance" despite me having a prestige of around 1500), and neither any of his younger siblings. I don't have an alliance with him either, plus I don't have a casus bellie for wagin war on him anymore.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Well, you got one already - don't back claims if you haven nothing to gain A claimant will not become your vassal unless the claimed rank is lower than yours and he is of your house or is already your vassal.

A common tactic is to find a claimant, give him one county and THEN wage war. This way - when you are victorious - the realm in question will become part of yours. Oh, and I usually revoke the county I gave him, at this point.

Otherwise you might want to back a claimant if you want him to somehow disrupt a powerful enemy. That's extremely situational, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Yeah, things like that happen sometimes. One of the saddest things in the game is when someone you've raised and primed for great things turns their back on you. You get ungrateful bastards now and then who get greedy and end up creating a monster.

"desires a better alliance" usually suggests that they want a more militarily powerful ally, rather than prestigious (I think). Prestige is great and can make the whole world respect you, but if they need help in a fight, they'll ally with an evil, inbred cretin on the French throne over your prestigious army of fifty guys with sticks.

Personally, I would find someone else with a claim to the same throne (click on his lands, then on the shield/crest by his portrait, which shows you details of the province/kingdom, and any related lands. There's a claimant tab here that will list them all for you) and overthrow him all over again. Not because it would work (you might just get the same result), but just because it would be hilarious.

You might have better luck with is heir, at least. But sometimes your plans can succeed and still not get you what you want. At least he's still friendly, eh?

I gave up on my Scotland game as Outremer was proving far too much of a distraction and was interupting my unification of the British Isles under the Lion Rampant.

I though I would try something different so I tried playing a Ghanan ruler in that small part of west Africa present in the game. The early game was incredibly easy, within 20 years or so I had conquered the entirety of the Kingdom of Ghana and then I hit a brick wall. I literally couldn't expand thanks to my extremely powerful Almhoravid (sp?) neighbour who controls both of the provinces that border my lands that aren't impassible terrain. I spent the next several decades trying to gain foreign lands through marriage (with no results) or try and nibble away at Almhoravid lands during revolts (again with no success). During this time my first ruler bred like a rabbit and managed to have 10-12 children, most of whom were sons (he even managed it while he was in his death bed, allegedly incapable). This was a trait that was sadly shared by my second ruler which saw my decadence rating soar, I had more sons, brothers and hangers on that I had provinces to keep them occupied. These riff raff also proved unfortunately hard to kill off.

Whats a good way to deal with decadence?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Whats a good way to deal with decadence?
    I think killing practically all of your family is the standard way. Decadence is not a good mechanic.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I think killing practically all of your family is the standard way. Decadence is not a good mechanic.
    I tried that and they proved particullary resillient both to plotting and while leading pathetically small armies against the occational peasant revolt. I also tried to pick wives with poor fertility but that didn't work either.

I think I may try Finnish ruler next.

I tried that and they proved particullary resillient both to plotting and while leading pathetically small armies against the occational peasant revolt. I also tried to pick wives with poor fertility but that didn't work either.

I think I may try Finnish ruler next.
    You can imprison and then execute family members without penalty and is actually encouraged.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Network Hub
    Hi,

I've brought this thread back from the dead because I wanted some more help! I'm playing an Old Gods game as Scotland and have tanistry succession. I'm playing as a female ruler. My immediate heir is part of my dynasty but HER heir is not which means that once the latter inherits it's game over for me. If I was a male ruler I would have no problem as I would just get married and have kids that would be part of my dynasty. However being a female ruler no one will marry me matrilineally (sp?) and if I marry and have kids in the normal way they'll be part of the father's dynasty anyway.

There must be something obvious I'm missing because I can't imagine that it's simply an inevitable game over but I'm really not sure what I can do to get a new heir of my own dynasty.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Well you're on Tanistry, just nominate someone else as your successor.

As for getting married, *someone* will marry you matrilineally. Are you using the icon beside the ruler portrait or going into the diplomacy and selecting "arrange marriage"? I think the latter will only give you people in your court, the icon should show you everyone who'll marry you and if you check the box it'll be everyone who'll do so matrilineally. Alternatively if someone's in your court they can't refuse, so go into intrigue and invite a holy man (or noble, but that costs money) to your court.

You should be able to marry her to any unlanded male member of your dynasty in your court, alternatively kill her current husband, and find a an unlanded spouse to invite to your court through the character search, filtering by your religion (not through the marriage button on her character page).

Unlanded characters in your court have to accept any marriage proposals you send them, including matrilineal. This can be used to great effect to spread your dynasty to other realms, as the unlanded heirs to other realms tend to be unhappy with their liege, especially if they're second in line, meaning sending them gold should be enough to get them to move to your court and marry whoever you want them to. After they've given you a child, it's just a matter (usually) of killing the unlanded spouse's brothers who are closer to the throne, and in a generation you'll have a dynasty member on their throne.

We have a whole paradox subforum. Moving there now.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    We have a whole paradox subforum. Moving there now.
    Yeah, that'll absolutely maximise attention.

OP, who posted almost a week ago, wasn't looking for multiplayer help. There can be D3 talk on the general board and D3 MP talk under the sociability forum. Same for Minecraft. Hiding general information posts in a MP sub-forum is not excellent.

there is no more minecraft subforum. I think. Or was that eve?

Also, its not hiding, people actively post there with tips and stuff.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."