Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    While I never encountered the most awful problems associated with GFWL (notably save-eating and inability to install) it was poorly supported, poorly explained, and generally just a pain in the ass.

However, I want to give credit where credit is due: it had seamless offline capability. Assuming that you had managed to install the game, you were safe knowing that no internet outage was going to screw you over. Unlike Steam. This was especially notable when I lived in a small town with crappy internet service that often went down in the afternoon. Oh, I can't play any of my Steam games because I didn't put it into offline mode because I didn't expect to be offline, but I can play any non-Steam GFWL game that I want!
    A week ago my internet provider decided to suddenly leave me without connection. Steam flawlessly entered into offline mode and I could even play a game I installed but I didn't run before the internet outage, something that was always a must for offline mode games to work. Granted, this case might just have to do with the game in question (crysis 2) and might not apply to every game on steam. Still I haven't had a problem with offline mode yet. Fortunately as it used to be a little glitchy.

On the other hand, Arkham city erased my saves once GFWL reconnected after beign in offline mode.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    A week ago my internet provider decided to suddenly leave me without connection. Steam flawlessly entered into offline mode and I could even play a game I installed but I didn't run before the internet outage, something that was always a must for offline mode games to work. Granted, this case might just have to do with the game in question (crysis 2) and might not apply to every game on steam. Still I haven't had a problem with offline mode yet. Fortunately as it used to be a little glitchy.

On the other hand, Arkham city erased my saves once GFWL reconnected after beign in offline mode.
    To be fair, I didn't have Steam problems if Steam was open when the connection cut out. My problem was that I would get home from work and, SURPRISE, no Internet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As an example of DRM. Got a Raspberry Pi yesterday. Up and running, Doxbox on and... "Must insert game CD to continue". Gah, so now I'm going to have to figure out how to emulate CDS (from .iso) correctly in Dosbox to get my actual purchased games working. :(

I asked Rockstar if they know what's going to happen to GTA IV and they said:

Hi Soopytwist,

We don't have any more information to share other than what Microsoft has already released, for now. We are still selling GTA IV and you can still play online over GFWL. If there is any new information about this, we will post it in the GTA IV section of our knowledge base.
    Cheers,
    Brad P.
    R*

Offline mode randomly stops working, after a period of time (it seems to be about 2 week or so) refuses to work until you connect to Steam again. In short offline mode is a pile of shit, better than it was certainly but still a misnomer.

Welp.
    I'll guess I'll find out soon enough. Getting near my two weeks without connection.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    The XLiveLess for GTAIV guarantees it will live on, at least the single player. The problem is that each game has a specific Live implementation, and we need a different DLL for each game. It baffles me how is this possible. There have been attempts to unify it all in a single DLL that implemented all versions, unsuccessfully until now.
    Fable III has a XLiveless floating around, I haven't tested it but it probably works.
    Street Fighter 4 also has it, one for each bazillion versions of that game.
    Bioshock 2 had several DLL created, but it's impossible to play Minerva's Den with it, so good thing 2K didn't just left it rot.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Welp.
    I'll guess I'll find out soon enough. Getting near my two weeks without connection.
    Three weeks in. Steam still works like a charm. I'll continue this experiment for an undetermined period of time thanks to my ISP.

I'll keep you posted.