Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reinforcements have arrived! (well, almost)

Here's the showcase of the new map Biodome that is part of the upcoming content update:

http://youtu.be/VgWlB61r7AA

Invigorating, isn't it?

The "patch" will go live on August the 30th and will feature many new things like (probably) grenades, linux support (increased server performance) and female marine skins to play around w... no that doesn't sound right... to get your ha... no, that doesn't sound right either. To try out!

So I guess it's time to stir up the Hivemind and get a few RPSers together? I'll be gone from the 31th for a week, so I'll see if I can get a few games in on the 30th (UWE are known to release their patches at the latest possible time though...)

Oh. My. Fuck.

Biodome looks amazing! Can't wait to play it finally. I'll be checking it out on the weekend of the 30th for sure. Hopefully this will be the shot in the arm that NS2 needs.

Network Hub
    Tanith is also finally un-greyboxed! threw it on server
    played it on SCC server earlier there.. its still a great map loads of skirmishes

Network Hub
    Considering picking this up. Enough players to make it worthwhie?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRed View Post
    Tbh the present figures are a bit worrying: http://steamcharts.com/app/4920
    1000 peak during weekends and ~500 during the week.

But there is a huge content update in the pipes (see above) that will attract lots of new players and with the additional Linux crowd aboard (and there seem to be quite a few of them, or they are very vocal) I hope numbers will stabilize around 1500-2000 players. You also have to consider it being summer and vacation time.

Still, even with only 500 people it is mostly possible to get into a game that suits my preferences. The population oscillated around 1000-1500 for a long time and then it was absolutely no problem to play at any time of day in any kind of server.

The game is definitely worth getting, it is very deep, got unique gameplay, is very polished (performance aside), has good mod support and the community might be small, but is pretty helpful and chatty for the bigger part.

The only things that might muddy your enjoyement are performance (you need a good rig, especially high CPU clocks) and a steep learning curve. And balance is a bit off atm, but I think that's going to be fixed with the update.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRed View Post
    What Kwis said.

Also, if you are thinking of buying, wait until the weekend; there's a high chance the game will be on sale due to the update.

Network Hub
    Nice advice, ta. May pick it up then.

Activated Node
    It's apparently 75% off now!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Also keep in mind that you can support the development of this addon at:
    http://www.naturalselection2.com/reinforced/

The skins looks sick. I would totally buy those if they would be sold separately, but 75USD is a bit much for me. I think I will settle at the 40usd pricepoint then.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

The 75$ tier keeps screaming at me "you shall not pass!!!"...

I guess I have become too much of an UWE fan boy to let it slip by. And it's totally reasonable as well, considering if it wasn't for NS2 I'd be shelving out hundreds of moneys for evil BF4+extrapremium! Right?!
    I'm sure my kids won't mind living off bread crumms for a month, if it's for a good cause.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by balmark View Post
    Tanith is also finally un-greyboxed! threw it on server
    Sounds like Caged is textured now too! http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc.../ns2-caged/p11

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by njursten View Post
    It's apparently 75% off now!
    As it happens, I've just bought it... I will be trying it out soon, though not tonight. I'd be obliged if any RPS friendly face could help me with that!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Tomorrow is NS2 night, and I'm thinking of noobing it up then. Has been a while now. Should one get the expansion now?

It's free, so I think if you have NS2 installled Steam will auto-update for you.

Mine pulled in a 1GB patch this week.

I will play tonight, I think. Here's hoping that a few of you others will as well
    Steam: Alaeus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Has Notch mentioned NS2 yet?

Speaking of reinforcements... This feels like a desperate attempt to stay alive. Should we be worried?

Considering throwing some money at them anyway. Gold or Shadow tier... hmm... That elite assault marine skin looks so sexy, but I'm quite fond of my old black edition one. Skulk skin is awesome though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    I think the problem is that at this point the NS2 community is already rather small. There are only a few thousand people left, so the "support rate" doesn't seem that bad. But there are just to few invested players.

But I don't think we need to be worried too much. They already have another project in the making. But if this "fails" NS2 support will most likely die outside of bugfixes. Which is kind of understandable. They have to stay afloat somehow.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

I still think their biggest mistake was to create their own game engine instead of licensing someone else's. Way too ambitious for a game their size. The game and the community is suffering from it now

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Pretty much. A lot of the feedback I see is how horribly it runs for some. It doesn't seem likes there's anything in this engine that couldn't be achieved elsewhere.
    steam: sketch