Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Last Of Us

Yes yes, but the relevant question is: Will it come to the PC? I've promised myself to buy a PS1/2/3/whatever when the price of the hardware dropped low enough just to be able to pick up and play some classic titles exclusive to that particular platform. But then I never did because there were always enough entertaining alternatives available on the PC.

I'd only see me playing this if it made the jump to the system I already own (and it's the best of all the systems anyway, no? ;) ).

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    You would think a PS4 port would mean a PC port wouldn't be that far-fetched but everyone knows Naughty Dog hates PC for some reason.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Well they are a subsidiary of Sony...
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    woops I suck
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Well they are a subsidiary of Sony...
    So is SOE. What's your point?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    SOE is a separate entity entirely from SCEWWS and PlayStation, so they have freedom to publish how they want. They could technically release games on Nintendo and Xbox consoles, but they don't.

Naughty Dog is part of SCEWWS which is exclusively a publisher for PlayStation and is under the PlayStation umbrella. So TLOU will not come to PC.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    SOE is a separate entity entirely from SCEWWS and PlayStation, so they have freedom to publish how they want. They could technically release games on Nintendo and Xbox consoles, but they don't.

Naughty Dog is part of SCEWWS which is exclusively a publisher for PlayStation and is under the PlayStation umbrella. So TLOU will not come to PC.
    Wonderful. So I can understand why Naughty Dog wouldn't release an XBox 360 or Xbone port but what's their beef with the PC? Last I checked, the PC wasn't a competing console.

If I seem a bit miffed, please don't think my ire is directed at you. I just would like to play this game and I really don't want to buy a console to do it.
    Last edited by Winged Nazgul; 10-04-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Wonderful. So I can understand why Naughty Dog wouldn't release an XBox 360 or Xbone port but what's their beef with the PC? Last I checked, the PC wasn't a competing console.

If I seem a bit miffed, please don't think my ire is directed at you. I just would like to play this game and I really don't want to buy a console to do it.
    I can't even begin to emphasize how much this one game is worth buying a console for. It's one of the best games I've ever played. I can't even think of a game to come out on PC in the last few years that can even come close to it. And this is coming from someone who does ~95% of their gaming on PC and owns consoles only to play exclusives.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

It's not a competing console, but it's a competing gaming platform. If Sony starts giving up it's sweet sweet 'sclusies less people will buy Playstations.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm in a bit of a pickle now. I was just about to get the Left Behind DLC. Since I know I will eventually get a PS4 sometime in the next 2-3 years, do I wait and get this remastered edition for $20?
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

It's a valid question, but simply I don't have the answer for this. It's SCEWWS/PlayStation business design is all I can say.
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I'm in a bit of a pickle now. I was just about to get the Left Behind DLC. Since I know I will eventually get a PS4 sometime in the next 2-3 years, do I wait and get this remastered edition for $20?
    Depends how good this new version looks I say.

Wait a bit and if maybe DF or the other review sites say it's as good as it sounds visually, then maybe it will help you out with your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    It's not a competing console, but it's a competing gaming platform. If Sony starts giving up it's sweet sweet 'sclusies less people will buy Playstations.
    Sorry, but I don't buy that argument. Gaming platforms don't compete against each other. Buying a PC does not necessarily mean you're then not going to buy a console, mobile phone, tablet, handheld gaming device, etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sorry, but I don't buy that argument. Gaming platforms don't compete against each other. Buying a PC does not necessarily mean you're then not going to buy a console, mobile phone, tablet, handheld gaming device, etc.
    If I could have played RDR, Demon's Souls, Ensalved (Recently sold PS3 version after getting it again on PC), and the Uncharted Series on my PC, I would never have bought a PS3. Same for my Wii and 3DS with Zelda games.

Some tasty screens of TLOU HD for PS4, stolen from GAF of course.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    As db1331 says, yes they do, and it does happen. I couldn't possibly point to figures saying how much, but... I mean I decided to game on PC and mobile devices and give up playing on consoles and handhelds for the foreseeable future because I want an all-digital collection, and consoles etc. simply don't offer me the convenience, price and level of future-proofing I'd like. (And to clarify, to that end I sold 250+ PS2 games, my PS3 - giving up my entire PSN library for no return - my DS, my PSP and every boxed game I had for those three.)

Conversely, whatever you think of their reasoning, it's pretty easy to turn up countless posts saying I don't want to play games on a PC, I just want a box in my living room that I press a single button on and it plays games, no hassle, blah blah blah, or I play on consoles because of platform exclusives or I'd rather hang on to my giant retro collection than buy new games or whatever. You can certainly argue it's less of an issue than people might think, but it is an issue, and certainly all the console manufacturers do treat it as a big deal.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 24-07-2014 at 02:20 AM.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Gameplay being streamed on Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/youngthug514

http://www.twitch.tv/search?query=la...tered#stq=last of us remastered&stp=1

Never seen this in a game before personally:

Per-pixel motion blur in the new edition.

Images where it's most exaggerated, looks quite good in motion. You can see from the Twitch above.

Edit -

Forgot about the biggest reasons (for me) to rebuy both TLOU and GTA V... remote play! :D

Around about the time MGS V Ground Zeroes was released, I was using RP a lot. There were some problems with RP, most notably dropping signal (seemed often with MGSV). Maybe once every hour at most. Also even at its best quality, there would be artifacting of the video feed, especially around points of high contrast, like looking up at the sky through a fence. Gradients were not as smooth.

A few days or a couple of weeks after that release, they updated the RP to something that feels like twice the bitrate or something at least. The video quality is absolutely pristine now. None of those blocky artifacts that would creep up sometimes like before, and gradients are perfect now basically. It's really become a killer feature for me :)
    Last edited by rockman29; 24-07-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Photo mode for the TLOU HD

They also announced a movie at ComicCon

Obscure Node
    I enjoyed my time with The Last of Us. Well maybe enjoy is not most appropriate word but anyway. I think it was 200 enemies too long. And last action scene where you have to do things you may not want to do could be handled better. But characters and final scene is golden.

Making movie seems like a lot of busy work for nothing. Instead of being one of a kind thing in videogames it will be one of dozens not terrible zombie movies. And I can't imagine who needs it and who wants it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sard View Post
    Making movie seems like a lot of busy work for nothing. Instead of being one of a kind thing in videogames it will be one of dozens not terrible zombie movies. And I can't imagine who needs it and who wants it.
    I agree it still feels like a weird, possibly pointless decision, but if Druckmann sticks with it and they get the right director at least there's a chance it'll be a lot better than "not terrible". I can't think of another videogame movie that's had the same writer behind the original game.

(I don't think I'd watch it but I'm not really interested in anything Sam Raimi does - Darkman's about the only thing of his I've seen which I actually really liked. Spiderman was boring and Spiderman 3 was dreadful. But that's probably just me.)
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter