Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Last Of Us

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I'm fairly certain I completely got the ending. I still thought it was good. I just don't see how grown men could say it moved them to tears. Do you have a link to the article you read on it?
    Here's one. I didn't find the ending ending teary, but the bit before that when you're running through the hospital carrying Ellie in your arms just as you did with Sarah 20 years ago came pretty close for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    ^That was the part for me as well, especially everything building up to that scene from that whole segment. The last level was just full of awesome.

Im a console gamer/pc gamer The Last of Us is an awesome title.

Obscure Node
    Story was nothing original, that has been seen before.
    Characters were fantastic and really well made.
    It could've been better, that ending was quite a let down but I can understand what the characters were going through.

Network Hub
    One thing I was disappointed with was there was really never any point where you had to face infected and human enemies together. I'm assuming it just wasn't possible due to AI constraints. I think it would have been cool to have scenarios like where you are being pursued by two soldiers, and you see a clicker in the next room. You could pick up a bottle and throw it at the feet of the soldiers and bring the clicker crashing into them. Something like that.
    Seems you'll find this in Left Behind:

Eurogamer
    This is furthered by Left Behind's small but important advancements in combat, which see infected and hostile enemies clash with each other, giving rise to emergent moments that are instigated and influenced by your actions. You can creep past all of your foes or try to take them all down stealthily, but the most satisfying and natural course of action is to lead one faction to the other and let them fight it out. There'll be survivors of these clashes, of course, so the game becomes about manipulating the scenario to ensure that the group you prefer to face come out on top.
    They gave it a 10, btw:

Those that have played through The Last of Us already know how this story ends and likely have an idea of how it might play out, and so it is to the developer's significant credit that Left Behind manages to defy foreknowledge to tell a story that is touching, revealing and important.

In its way, Left Behind also serves as an examination of Ellie's later relationship with Joel. It offers insight into the depth of the bond that exists between the two and provides a deeper understanding of this relationship by exploring events that are only alluded to in the main story. In doing so, it once again turns the pseudo-father-daughter relationship on its head and offers still more to ponder in the main story's ambiguous ending.
    Grr and I was hoping to wait for a sale.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Seems you'll find this in Left Behind:

Eurogamer

They gave it a 10, btw:

Grr and I was hoping to wait for a sale.
    Certainly sounds good. It seems like it would have to be limited to just stage 1 infected, right? Ellie asks, "What the hell is that thing?" when you come upon your first clicker in the main game, so it would seem she wouldn't have seen one at the time of this DLC.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Certainly sounds good. It seems like it would have to be limited to just stage 1 infected, right? Ellie asks, "What the hell is that thing?" when you come upon your first clicker in the main game, so it would seem she wouldn't have seen one at the time of this DLC.
    It moves between the "present" - some way into the story of the main game - and the past, with Ellie and Riley, and AFAIK all the combat is in the present-day sections. (Though I'm just going by reviews/previews - I haven't played and probably won't be able to play it, since I sold my PS3 a while back and have no real prospect of getting another for the immediate future.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    It moves between the "present" - some way into the story of the main game - and the past, with Ellie and Riley, and AFAIK all the combat is in the present-day sections. (Though I'm just going by reviews/previews - I haven't played and probably won't be able to play it, since I sold my PS3 a while back and have no real prospect of getting another for the immediate future.)
    Ah, that makes sense. I've avoided reading most of the articles for spoiler purposes so I had no idea it was split like that.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Those in the US or know how to get around such things can get the "Making of" video from Amazon for free:

http://www.amazon.com/Grounded-The-M.../dp/B00IHV0W3Y

Did anyone else play TLOU Left Behind?

Do yourself a favour and DO NOT spoil the game for yourself, if you are going to play it.

It is a one in a million kind of thing, IMO.

Was an incredible slice of the game narrative to show off, beautifully done.

Easy Perfect/10 from me as well.

Network Hub
    So there's a film in the works (or as the naysayers would have it, another film). Hopefully they cut down on the ladder puzzles.

So there's a film in the works (or as the naysayers would have it, another film). Hopefully they cut down on the ladder puzzles.
    Hands down the worst thing in the entire of TLOU for me.

I couldn't believe how many times the same puzzle with the ever so slightest variation was introduced...

Probably the only thing in the game I had a serious problem with though.

Finished The Last Of Us last night. It was around 70% though the game that I realized that what I was playing wasn't merely a great game, but perhaps one of the best games I'd ever played. And the ending pretty much cemented that. I really didn't think the ending would manage to live up to the rest of the story. I thought for sure it was gonna end in some video game bullshit where events would conspire to present you with a clear-cut black and white moral choice to DO THE RIGHT THING and fight through overwhelming odds to reach an ending we could all feel good about. That doesn't happen. "The right thing to do" does present itself, but instead of following that path our protagonist does the opposite. Because he's not some ideal video game hero, he's just a man who's already lost too much and can't stand losing any more.

Network Hub
    TLOU Coming to PS4 sez Sony employee on Turkish TV.

1080p? Higher resolution textures? Yum.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Not having played it yet, I look forward to a PS4 version. Although I probably could get it for $30 or less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm over halfway through my Survivor difficultly playthrough. It's incredible how different the game is in this mode. Not having listen mode makes it SO MUCH more intense. I will never play with it enabled again. It's also crazy to think that my first time through the game on Normal I was constantly having to leave ammo behind because my guns were full, and I was crafting things just so I could pick up more ingredients. Now I'm walking around with 3 bullets, a shotgun shell, and a couple of arrows. Just finding a roll of tape or a rag is something to celebrate as well.

TLOU Coming to PS4 sez Sony employee on Turkish TV.

1080p? Higher resolution textures? Yum.
    Yep the rumours are growing. I hope it's true. I would rebuy.

Seems it is almost definitely true, picture of the package. Subtitle Complete Edition.

http://www.xtralife.es/playstation-4...-edition/15943

I personally wonder whether or not the assets will be upgraded or not in-game, characters and environments.

It would be a true shame if they aren't and a missed opportunity to show off how characters will look in future ND games (re: Uncharted 4 in 2015).

Having the perfect FMV cutscene models in real-time would be incredible.

I'm sure thinks like shadows will become sharper/clearer, as the Dead Nation port-up has shown, but I hope it's more than that and just 1080p60. Not that that isn't good, but I hope for more.

I think there is a good chance though. I'm quite sure ND is continuing to use the same engine as they have on PS3 on PS4 for Uncharted, so we might get some nice eye candy hopefully for this upgrade besides the resolution/framerate/sharpened effects.

"There is no information about a new The Last of Us game but I can share this knowledge; as of this summer, The Last of Us will be on the PS4. Both on PSN and physically," PlayStation's Eurasian Software Market Manager Sercan Sulun told CNN earlier this week. "The PS4 version will also include the DLC so you will be able to play Left Behind as well."
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...t-of-us-on-ps4
    Last edited by rockman29; 30-03-2014 at 05:45 AM.

It has landed... day one digital (then again everything is already on PS anyway I think).

And ooohhhhh I love the word remastered. I hope it means what I think it means! Higher fidelity artwork, sound.... especially I want to see level geometry and character models upgraded even more.
    Last edited by rockman29; 09-04-2014 at 12:41 PM.

It's here! :D

Up on Amazon
    • Release TBA
    • 1080p resolution
    • Higher resolution character models
    • Improved shadows and lighting
    • Several other gameplay improvements
    • Includes: Abandoned Territories Map Pack
    • Includes: Reclaimed Territories Map Pack
    • Includes: The Last of Us: Left Behind single-player campaign

No release date as of yet.

Will be the first taste of ND games on PS4. ND is using their PS3 engine going forward onto PS3, so this should be quite a treat :D

Apparently started working on it when the PS3 version shipped, is being worked on at ND itself. New hire Corinne Yu, formerly of 343 I believe, is also working on the project.

^I believe PS Access interviews Evan Wells here and Bruce Straley, not watched it myself yet, just skimmed and I saw his face I think.

60 FPS is NOT confirmed, one German mag has reported it as such, but I don't think this has been verified anywhere else.
    Last edited by rockman29; 09-04-2014 at 08:13 PM.