Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Fighters?

Obscure Node

Free Fighters?

So, a friend of mine has been trying to convince me to play a fighter of some kind; Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Skullgirls, etc. However, I can't justifying spending the $15+ cost for any of them. I've tried to find a free one online, but can not find any results. Any help would be appreciated.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Street Fighter 3rd Strike,its free on pc. You can even play online,but beware its the most hardcore SF title and people are crazy good online.

I'm going to go for the obvious one and say mugen, although if you want to get into fighting games it's probably not a good starting place. If you just want to have mindless fun, though, go crazy. Play as homer simpson fighting colonel sanders in space.

Banned
    Tell your friend that if he wants you to get into something he should provide it.

Also tell him that until you start enjoying it your standard rate is $5 per hour spent playing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Aren't all games made in Mugen free?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Get an emulator, preferably GGPO. It comes with a modified FBA you can directly link and it runs CPS1/2/3 and Neogeo games (roms).

Been playing fighting games like that for 15 years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It sometimes seems like if you really want to get into fighting games you need to buy the game, a $150 fightstick, and spend several months watching training tutorials and practicing. It's a wonder anyone does.

Banned
    I really don't understand the "pro"-ness of fightsticks, ergonomics-wise they don't seem to do anything that you can't do with a thumbstick on a pad or a joystick.

I say good old Mortal Kombat (1)

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I really don't understand the "pro"-ness of fightsticks, ergonomics-wise they don't seem to do anything that you can't do with a thumbstick on a pad or a joystick.
    Gamepads are terrible for long few hour sessions. I know from personal experience using Sega Saturn pad and 360 pad they are uncomfortable whether it is their size, thumb stick, dpad or buttons. A friend complained about sore thumb after few hours of MK9. I have none of these problems with a fight stick.

There's plenty of free demos of fighters on the web. If you like then buy it. MK9 is easy to get into. Netcode seems worthless tho.

Little fighter comes to mind: http://www.littlefighter.com/
    It's 2.5D, free and I remember it being crazy fun when played with three people hacking on one keyboard :D I think you can get up to 8 people simultaneously on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by bad guy View Post
    I say good old Mortal Kombat (1)
    Good Lord no. That's like playing Crazy Taxi to get into Racing games.

My vote's for Mame/NeoRage/some emulator and give StreetFighter Alpha 2/3, or the King of the Fighters (or Garou - Mark of the Wolves) games a go.

X-Men vs Streetfighter / Marvel vs Capcom are also damn good fun (and have characters you'll likely be more familiar with), however they lack the nuance of the more classic Streetfighters, what with the screen being constantly filled with flashes, bangs and laserbeams.
    Last edited by Memph; 29-08-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Obscure Node
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to wait for King of Fighters XIII to come out on steam, and see if they have a good deal for it on GMG or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Slev View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to wait for King of Fighters XIII to come out on steam, and see if they have a good deal for it on GMG or something.
    Honestly, skullgirls is both cheaper (especially if you can track down one of those fabled 90% off coupons...) and has a really great tutorial system that teaches you not only the basics of skullgirls, but some basic fighting game theory.
    If you still want king of fighters, though, it's $5 off on steam which isn't going to be significantly worse than any deal GMG is going to give you if they can match it at all, and you get the beta if you buy it right now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Heads up, from what I've been reading around, KOF13 is pretty damn hardcore. Maybe not the best game to start you in the genre.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geenivoro View Post
    Gamepads are terrible for long few hour sessions. I know from personal experience using Sega Saturn pad and 360 pad they are uncomfortable whether it is their size, thumb stick, dpad or buttons. A friend complained about sore thumb after few hours of MK9. I have none of these problems with a fight stick.
    My thumb is forever blighted by the Dreamcast D-Pad. Archaeoligists will wonder that my [mysteriously preserved] thumb could still blister over so many layers of callus.

Obscure Node
    I may get skull girls then, I'm just not sure in general what would be best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I think Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves (the source of many a blister) marries technical depth with button-mashing fun pretty well. Give it a go on GGPO.

Skullgirls is a good place to start if you're not the sort of person who can't stand that artstyle.
    It's an airdash fighter, though, so it's going to be fast paced. I would watch some videos of it in motion, and compare them to something more slow-paced like street fighter 4 to figure out which sort of fighter you would want to play.
    For the record, while the combos are longer in an airdash fighter, the execution isn't really much harder when compared for a non-airdash fighter. The length of the combo isn't the hard part, it's the parts with tricky timing.

Banned
    Don't get Skullgirls because it's a textbook example of modern fighting game design: style over substance.