Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Fighters?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Don't get Skullgirls because it's a textbook example of modern fighting game design: style over substance.
    ...not really?
    It has a really diverse metagame, a well-balanced cast, the best learning curve for any fighter currently available, etc... or are you using style over substance as a slur towards airdash fighters in general?

Banned
    As a slur for any fighting game with progressive damage nerf on combos in general.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    As a slur for any fighting game with progressive damage nerf on combos in general.
    So, a slur on airdash fighters and company.

"I don't like this thing and you shouldn't either!"

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Guilty Gear X2 Reload (and Isuka, too) are on sale at GOG for less than $3. GGX2 is my all-time favorite fighter: complicated enough to have (actually quite a lot of) depth, but not so complex a beginner feels alienated.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    Guilty Gear X2 Reload (and Isuka, too) are on sale at GOG for less than $3. GGX2 is my all-time favorite fighter: complicated enough to have (actually quite a lot of) depth, but not so complex a beginner feels alienated.
    Guilty Gear X2 Reload is great.
    Isuka, not so much.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    ...not really?
    It has a really diverse metagame, a well-balanced cast, the best learning curve for any fighter currently available, etc... or are you using style over substance as a slur towards airdash fighters in general?
    Mopokorosick a flaming bag of dog shit on your doorstep. React accordingly, with a shovel.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Guilty Gear X2 Reload is great.
    Isuka, not so much.
    Its reputation is why I never played it and why I only included it as a parenthetical.

Have you seen the teaser for the new one?

I have.

Several times.

I need that in my veins, but I doubt we'll see a PC release (even though the arcade cabinets it runs in are motherhumpin' Windows PCs!!)

Its reputation is why I never played it and why I only included it as a parenthetical.

Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers for it not being a PS4 exclusive.

Obscure Node
    25% off Skullgirls on GMG. Now I'm very torn.

Quote Originally Posted by Slev View Post
    25% off Skullgirls on GMG. Now I'm very torn.
    If it's a choice between skullgirls and KoF13 I would definitely go with skullgirls.

Obscure Node
    I did, played for about an hour, then I realized the xbox stick is terrible and I'm supposed to use the dpad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Shame the dpad on the XBox controller is also awful, eh?

Yeah, if you want to have a decent experience with fighters on PC, either you cough up the cash for a fightstick, or you get a gamepad with an actual, proper D-Pad, and not the shitty Analog-stick-camouflaged-as-Dpad that the 360 controller has.

Obscure Node
    Yeah... I'm going to try to live with it for now, since I don't really want to spend an additional $20-$100 on a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Slev View Post
    Yeah... I'm going to try to live with it for now, since I don't really want to spend an additional $20-$100 on a game.
    If you have a good keyboard that won't do any ghosting on you, a nicely made keyboard is pretty much the next best thing to a hitbox/arcade stick.
    I mean, it's basically a hitbox with smaller buttons. And a hitbox is the pro-est of the pro fighting equipment, it looks at the half a millisecond that it takes a joystick to move backwards and sees it as a weakness.
    Now, the learning curve on that sort of thing for complex movements is pretty harsh (360 movements are near impossible before you get really good at it. The good news is that the only skullgirls character with a 360 movement is Cerebella.) But at a high level it's perfectly playable by any means. And if you get into it and want to move up to a hitbox, the transition is non-existent. As I said before, practically the same thing, one is built for typing and the other is built for fighters.
    Of course, if you have a cheaper keyboard, you're not going to have a good time.

Banned
    "I don't like this thing and you shouldn't either!"
    "I like this thing so you should too!"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    2D fightings (including those with modern 3D graphics like Street Fighter 4) is always an element never absent in any arcade game centre.

Seriously, one way to play those cool arcade games free is to join the police force. Probably you don't have to be a full-time cop, being an auxiliary police will do (depending on your police force's policy). Most police forces here have their recreational clubs with recreational facilities like gyms, tennis courts, swimming pools...... and of course, arcade game centre. Many offer games free to play, too. Fight the good fight in arcade games, then go out to the real world to fight for real justice. Very cool, huh.

@ sabrage and anyone else who might know: roughly speaking, which of GGPO's titles have the broadest/most active communities on the platform?
    Last edited by RabbitDynamite; 31-08-2013 at 01:36 PM.