Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar

Star Citizen Hangar is out, so let's compare ships!

...or we could, if the server wasn't being bogged down by people wanting to look at their shiny ships.

Anyhow, to access the hangar, just make sure you're logged into the main site then from the Star Citizen drop-down select Hangar Module. It'll run you through the steps to make sure you have everything, then away you can go.

The installer is 16mb+3gb. The minimum requirements aren't even consistent on their own page, but you'll need a DX11 card and basically a good dual or a quad core processor. It also says 8gb RAM. It's obviously still in alpha and there are numerous bugs too. The buggy for driving around in won't be out for another day or so.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Banned
    >8GB of RAM to look at models of spaceships

yup, makes sense. it is a part of their engine after all
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

I don't understand, you can buy a ship for $225 before the game is even out? Urm...What?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    No looking at models of spaceships for me then :/

Moho: Not sure if you're shocked or appalled or just stating a fact. If it's one of the first two then they have very explicitly explained that this is pre pre alpha and not even remotely optimised. As development progresses the minimum requirements will lower and then I will be able to view them too!

Case: yup! People are spending crazy money to fund this game. This is crowd sourcing though, so they are less buying a ship at insane prices but giving insane amounts to RSI/CIG for development and the ships they get are a thank you/incentive. I mean, they've raised over $16 million so far and it doesn't look like stopping. Some people have spent thousands on this - it's unlikely they're doing that just to get the ships.
    Last edited by SanguineAngel; 30-08-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguineAngel View Post
    Moho: Not sure if you're shocked or appalled or just stating a fact. If it's one of the first two then they have very explicitly explained that this is pre pre alpha and not even remotely optimised.
    I don't think "optimisation" is an excuse when you can easily view detailed 3D models in your browser.

What does RAM have to do with optimisation anyway? RAM is just for storing data for quick access. You're telling me the hangar and a spaceship in the hangar take more than 4GB of data in model and textures? That's gotta be one detailed ship and hangar.

I fucking hope this game needs 16gb RAM and a monster of a CPU. I want it to look fucking amazing on nothing but the best.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I don't think "optimisation" is an excuse when you can easily view detailed 3D models in your browser.

What does RAM have to do with optimisation anyway? RAM is just for storing data for quick access. You're telling me the hangar and a spaceship in the hangar take more than 4GB of data in model and textures? That's gotta be one detailed ship and hangar.
    I don't have the answers for you on that one but the requirements are what they are and the reason is what it is. They forewarned us they would be high and have assured us they will go down in time. This is really a case of something for nothing so I can't really see a reason to complain

Banned
    Rule #1: There is always a reason to complain!

hmrph. I backed when it was first kickstarted. how do I get my account tied into that, because it keeps asking me to back again.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    hmrph. I backed when it was first kickstarted. how do I get my account tied into that, because it keeps asking me to back again.
    If you backed on kickstarter it should recognise your email from that. Did you register on their previous website? If not you may want to get in touch. I've not had a problem but I have heard that their customer support is aces

where IS their customer support?!

nm found it
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    1. Gosh, remember when all you needed for a game was 512mb RAM? It's almost like system requirements increase as time goes on. Obviously the last big mile-stone in PC requirements has been more and more games only running on DX11, but more things will come into play soon. I know for one the Total War series lately has had recommended RAM as 8gb+.

2. Numerous people on the forums have reported that they've been able to get it running, albeit not amazingly, with 4gb. Others have said it's using "around 2.5gb". The requirements are there at the moment because it's pre-pre-alpha as a means of brute forcing it to work. It's made abundantly clear going through the website, downloading the installer and then on the installer it self that this is very early stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Case View Post
    I don't understand, you can buy a ship for $225 before the game is even out? Urm...What?
    It's already been pointed out, but you're not exactly buying a ship for that amount, you're buying into a pledge level where one of the rewards is a specific craft. Once the game releases, you won't strictly speaking be able to buy any ship out-right with real money. The way real money transactions work is that you'll be limited how much in-game currency you can buy a month. Last I read, possibly a rumour, is that the more in-game currency you have, the less you can buy with real-world coin.

Anyhow, there are numerous issues with getting the installer to download, especially from the UK, but there are a couple of workarounds for that one. Still, I have it downloaded now and am downloading the actual hangar. The installation/download music is very pleasant.