Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Obscure but amazing games

This is where you post your favorite games that no one you talk to has heard of. This may be difficult for me, because my friends' definition of obscure is Mount and Blade. Anyway, to the 1.5 of you on this forum who haven't heard of mount and blade: http://download2.taleworlds.com/mb_warband_setup_1158.exe

That is the demo.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't know how obscure these games are, but I find the following underappreciated.

Nox is quite a fun little ARPG. Although it isn't random, I liked it more than Diablo.

Zaxx is a pretty good, not amazing, ARPG with space guns and monkey people.

Gothic, for the love of god play Gothic.

Pixel Junk Eden is a beautiful, atmospheric platformer that came out so long after it had been on consoles it was mostly ignored.

Cogs is a really, really good puzzle game.

The Island of Doctor Brain is a really good "educational" game. It uses the stupid word 3 on page 57 drm though.

Odell Down Under is a game where you play as a fish, and conquer all. The make your own fish mode is really fun.

Arx Fatalis
    is an open cave world game. The spell system in particular is fascinating. It works on pattern recognition, and each spell is a sentence you make from various magic words you find.

Terranigma is my second favorite SNES RPG (played on an emulator). Imagine Zelda with a good story, and weep that Enix merged with Square, ruining both in the process.

Exit Fate is a shockingly good free JRPG.
    Last edited by Internet; 30-08-2013 at 05:59 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I don't know how obscure these games are, but I find the following underappreciated.

Nox is quite a fun little ARPG. Although it isn't random, I liked it more than Diablo.

Zaxx is a pretty good, not amazing, ARPG with space guns and monkey people.

Gothic, for the love of god play Gothic.

Pixel Junk Eden is a beautiful, atmospheric platformer that came out so long after it had been on consoles it was mostly ignored.

Cogs is a really, really good puzzle game.

The Island of Doctor Brain is a really good "educational" game. It uses the stupid word 3 on page 57 drm though.

Odell Down Under is a game where you play as a fish, and conquer all. The make your own fish mode is really fun.

Arx Fatalis
    is an open cave world game. The spell system in particular is fascinating. It works on pattern recognition, and each spell is a sentence you make from various magic words you find.

Terranigma is my second favorite SNES RPG (played on an emulator). Imagine Zelda with a good story, and weep that Enix merged with Square, ruining both in the process.
    OMG The Castle of DR. Brain! OMG. I love you Internet. We played that ALL THE TIME in the computer lab at my elementary school.

Banned
    If they were amazing they wouldn't be obscure.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    If they were amazing they wouldn't be obscure.
    What kind of bullshit logic is this?

Outwars is one of my obscure favourites. Published by Microsoft no less but a fantastic third person jetpack based game. Came out in 1998 and had slightly complicated controls but worth persevering with. The size of the levels were also surprisingly large and gliding around using a jetpack is always awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMWy69YDmWk

Underdogs have it too: http://www.hotud.org/component/conte...8-sp-237810807

Terranigma is indeed amazing. Did everything Zelda did but better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Freespace 2 - Best space sim ever made. Overshadowed at the time by other games partly due to no advertising from Interplay, partly because 1999 had some awesome games in it.

I remember playing the demo of Outwars ages ago and really liking it. Could never find it in the shops though. :(

Relatively new obscure stuff that I've sunk a lot of time into but people tend not to know of:

Tricky Truck

I have sunk so much time into playing and making levels for this game. I love it so much I made this trailer for it:

The Hunter

F2P hunting-sim with stunningly gorgeous environments (thanks to Just Cause 2's Avalanche Engine) and genuinely challenging gameplay. Stealth-fans, check this one out. Tracking down and sneaking up on a deer is more of a challenge than anything you're going to find in any mainstream stealthgame.

Vertigo

Physics-based climbing game that only exists (will likely ever only exist) in the form of a 1-level demo. I've had a lot of fun climbing up that one wall over and over again though. It's a crying shame a full version of this will never see the light of day because this is something truly unique.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Spiderweb games are still kinda obscure, really.

Which truly amazes me, as - in my personal opinion - Geneforge series is on par with RPG classics like PS:T or Arcanum.
    Last edited by mouton; 30-08-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Spiderweb games are still kinda obscure, really.

Which truly amazes me, as - in my personal opinion - Geneforge series is on par with RPG classics like PS:T or Arcanum.
    I'd say it's equal to any of the classics in terms of writing. The old games still have a huge production value advantage on them, as well as a class variety advantage. But I do agree that Geneforge is absolutely amazing.

Network Hub
    Supercrossfire - I must play this at least once a week.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Planescape: Torment, I work entirely with console gamers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Forgot Metal Warriors a great 2D mech game for snes. It was made by Lucas Arts back when they did innovative things. Very fun to play with friends online on an emulator.

Death to spies: If you like hitman / commandos there is a greater than average chance you'll love this game.

Activated Node
    The Spirit Engine 2 - Side scrolling J-like RPG with neat tactical combat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Death to spies is bugged to unplayable levels, I find. A shame, because it's a great idea, and pretty much the only game(s) to redo Hitman with a new theme.

Necrovision: a silly-fun FPS set in WW1, quickly descending into necromantic/undead/demonic nasties alongside generic anachro-nazis. Pretty campy, surprisingly hard, sort of old-fashioned shooter fun, emphasising combo kills and general mayhem. Starts a bit weak, but soon picks up.

Salvation Prophecy: space combat and ground combat and a simple strategic layer (once you've levelled up enough to be put in charge), all done in real-time, almost all by one person. It's not incredible, but it's fun, unique, and deserves support.

Tiny and Big: 3D Platformer with a great soundtrack whose main draw is a brilliant, novel physics system. You're armed with al aser that can cut through rock just about any way you like, and you use this to traverse the levels, solve puzzles, defend yourself and of course cut everything you see into tiny pieces just to see it all come crashing down.

The Last Express: The only adventure game I've ever liked. Set on the last orient express right on the brink of World War One, you play an american fugitive investigating a murder and all sorts of sinister happenings on board. All done in real time, with every NPC fully voiced and having their own timetable and agenda, and unique conversations and events that happen all around whether you're there or not. The writing is terrific and the characters and performances are great (and multi-lingual! And just as an example of how clever the game is, the player character takes full advantage of the fact that America wasn't taken seriously by Europeans at this time, by letting them carry on talking in French, Germans etc. around him, not letting on that he understands them). The art style is unique and gorgeous, and once you get used to the awkward controls, you'll fall in love with it. Particularly notable for its very well developed, interesting and nuanced characters - even NPCs who have nothing whatsoever to do with the plot.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Obscure is hard to quantify, but:

Startopia: Why haven't more people played this?

Legend of Mana: OK, not a PC game, but still. Gorgeous art, wonderful music, and filled to the brim with delightful, imaginative touches. I've never heard of anyone--besides unyielding Secret of Mana fans--who wasn't charmed by it. Available on PSN (so probably not that obscure).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    This, seriously. Nox was much better than Diablo but it was mostly ignored, because it came out the moment Diablo 2 did. Yet another case of popularity trumping quality.

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    This, seriously. Nox was much better than Diablo but it was mostly ignored, because it came out the moment Diablo 2 did. Yet another case of popularity trumping quality.
    No. Diablo 2 is the definitive ARPG and I played it and Nox plenty.

edit: the only truly memorable thing from Nox was the way barrels split whey you hit them. Oh and the fucking archer in the basement.
    Last edited by alset85; 30-08-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Atom Zombie Smasher was one that is relatively obscure but that I dumped a ton of hours into. The idea is that instead of fighting zombies your main goal is to rescue as many people as possible before they are all eaten. It's an RTS style game with a bit of RPG mixed in. It's got a very simple style (yellow blips for humans, purple blips for zombies) but all of the maps are randomly generated and you only get a set number of units per level so each playthrough is going to be very, very different.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    the only truly memorable thing from Nox was the way barrels split whey you hit them. Oh and the fucking archer in the basement.

I think i liked the world of Nox a lot more then Diablo definitely and I thought it was quite cool.