Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    The final release of Disciples III is pretty good too, subtitled: Reincarnation.

Obscure Node
    Story of Thor for Genesis.
    If it only had a bit better controls, it would've been remembered a lot more.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hardcoregaming101 is one of the best websites on the internet.

Another amazing that it exists game is Street Fighter II IBM which was a totally unofficial Korean homebrew release of Street Fighter II that actually managed to be better than the official DOS port but that's not hard to do because the DOS port of SF II was indescribably awful.

The version that I played was different to the one in the video because it had the bosses in with two of those being replaced by Terry and Andy from Fatal Fury. So it was an unofficial version of an unofficial version which is just wacky but better than DOS SF II and also way better than Nidhogg.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    A quick few that spring to mind:

.hack - 2 separate series's of JRPGs on the PS2 (the first containing 5 games, and the 2nd series containing 3 games), which come complete with 2 separate anime cartoons (both in english) to go with them. This for me is the most outstanding JRPG series that I've EVER played. In the game your playing in a fictional mmo where a virus has broken out and started putting people in the "real world" into comas. Each time you start this game off, you start off on the desktop of your PC and can read up on real world and tech news as well as post on the fictional internet forums of the very mmo you log in to as well as watch TV shows, check your email + much more.

I have yet to meet a single person whose played any of the games, which to me is unbelievable as the games are just fantastic. In particular the 2nd series "GU" combined with the anime which starts it off is just. Something else. Combine this with the fact that you transfer your saves from game to game (across 8 games in total), keeping your items, levels etc. For me this series just REALLY connected with me as I used to be heavily into MMO's (Ultima Online and World of Warcraft mainly).

Best RPG series I've ever played. And I don't say that lightly. Yep it's better than Mass Effect (and I loved that series). And yet no'one I know has played it. Unbelievable.

A few others:

* Chasm - Best Quake clone I've ever played. The game starts off with a really bad first level, but picks up quickly after that.

* Heavy Gear - 2 game series which more or less continues Mechwarrior 2 on from Mercenaries. Now I say continue from a game engine and gameplay stand point and it was done by the exact same company (Activision). I've played both games in the series and really enjoyed them.

* The Fortress of Dr Radiaki - I don't know of anyone else whose ever played this game. FPS (of Doom level graphics) from the 90s. Some good humor used throughout. Quite a challenging game at times.
    Heavy Gear 1 was ridiculously good. Full stealth Cheetah with nothing but a Snub Cannon. Sweetness! Has there been any similar game since that has a decent single player too? Should probably try Hawken at some stage.

Not sure on mech games. Only other mech game I've played that was half decent was the "Amored Core" series, though that was only on consoles (ps1 - ps3 generations I think).

Network Hub
    Gumboots Australia

I don't know if it was really 'amazing', but I spent a lot of time playing it as a kid. It's basically an Australian version of Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? Bonus: the version I played had a full VGA colour palette!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    If you like Heavy Gear you should try Interstate 76. It's awesome. It's on GOG, but check the forum to make sure it's working on modern systems before you buy. (You should NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES try Interstate 82. ever. )

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Yeah, Interstate 76 is supercool. Running even the GOG version without some serious tinkering or setting up a virtual machine isn't easy though. I had the memetic "rectangular wheels" issue and failed to fix it, can't say I tried really hard though. And it was on AMD cpu, maybe now when I'm on Intel I'll have less trouble.

The best thing ever is the "poem button".
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 09-02-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by mackeyjadan View Post
    What I enjoy is The Spirit Engine 2. It's an unheard game but it got me addicted.
    The Spirit Engine is one of those examples of a really well made series, that has faded into obscurity for a lack of advertisement. It's a pity really, because it has quite high production values and some of the best music in games. It probably didn't help that it's hard to describe. A side scrolling JRPG, perhaps? Definitely worth a try one way or another and since it's currently Donationware, there's no reason not to.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I bounced off it. It's intricate, and the story seemed interesting enough, but I didn't really like the combat system. It's not a sidescrolling thing either, since I love/have beaten Tales of Phantasia two or three times.

This thread makes me nostalgic!

Most of my all-time favorite obscure games have been mentioned already.

Gothic
    Not really obscure when you live in Central or Eastern Europe. The Gothic series has something like a cult status over here.

Archimedean Dynasty
    Which was called "Schleichfahrt" in German. Most has been said about this game. Much better than the Aquanoxe's imo. I loved how you could combine certain turrets with software of different versions (anti-torpedo, anti-vehicle, both). Also, there was no other game that made me so proud each time I got a new ship (upgrading the to the Gator class scout from the Hiob, then to the bomber class Zorn and then finally to the alien-tech driven Succubus just felt awesome!). Actually in that regard it was similar to Gothic, where getting a new set of armour was rare and you felt like a real badass for a couple of hours with your new outfit.

Bleifuss Fun
    Which was called "Ignition" in English. As far as I can remember it was developed by a Scandinavian company. It was the first game I ever purchased... I had so much fun with the game and it's split-screen back then. All the secret shortcuts you could discover... It still runs lovely with a few tweaks on Win7 btw.

The only game that I have not seen getting a mention on here would be:

Little Big Adventure
    Which was called "Relentless" in English (or in the states, dunno). Both entries to the series were relaunched a year ago or so on GOG and they probably are the games that shaped my passion for computer games the most. Apart from the controls and some of the fighting, everything in these games is perfect! The graphics, the story, the quests, the environments, the voice acting (it is strange, but beautiful) and especially the music! The sense of progression and empowerement while advanced throught the game were incredible.

In my neck of the woods, no one I know has heard of the Drakensang games, and it makes me a little sad. Also, I quite like Rogue Galaxy and Steambot Chronicles as far as obscure stuff goes. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Gumboots Australia

I don't know if it was really 'amazing', but I spent a lot of time playing it as a kid. It's basically an Australian version of Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? Bonus: the version I played had a full VGA colour palette!
    Oh cool, I had no idea that there was a VGA version of Gumboots. Gumboots Australia was a staple of school computers nation wide and considering games on school computers back then you took what you could (some places still had Microbees, enjoy your two colour displays lame-os). Unless your school was like mine and had cool games like the Super Solvers ones (also Wolfenstein 3D but that's out of the scope of this thread). Midnight Rescue, Treasure Mountain and Operation Neptune were the most popular at my school but my favourite was Challenge Of the Ancient Empires which seemed to go on forever. I'm surprised any of us got right to the end.

I don't feel like making a thread about this because i don't know if this is any good. Still, if you liked the Blame! manga here is the closest thing to "amazing" you ever get from gaming (unless Devine Lu Linvega keeps working on more "prison" games). Out in 3 days i think

Last edited by Wenz; 10-02-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Obscure Node
    Revolver360! I recently double-dipped on it with the PC version because I couldn't be arsed to plug the XBox 360 back in (where it sits buried in the XBLIG section).

The only store selling the PC version in the west is http://www.dlsite.com/eng/work/=/pro.../RE121119.html, it doesn't even have the recently released sequel yet. Also the PC version lacks the language setting of the console version (so japanese-only, not that it matters THAT much) and of course it's a Japanese indie game so the usual idiosyncrasies like treating the keyboard like a gamepad with only certain letters bindable and arcade-style text input apply. I'd recommend playing it with a controller though since operating the rotation works best with shoulder buttons. It's completely worth the effort though.

Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    Little Big Adventure
    Which was called "Relentless" in English (or in the states, dunno). Both entries to the series were relaunched a year ago or so on GOG and they probably are the games that shaped my passion for computer games the most. Apart from the controls and some of the fighting, everything in these games is perfect! The graphics, the story, the quests, the environments, the voice acting (it is strange, but beautiful) and especially the music! The sense of progression and empowerement while advanced throught the game were incredible.
    I was LBA in the UK too. I adored LBA2. Such a fun, quirky experience. Shame there was never another one.
    Steam : pngblackice
    Raptr : pngblackice

Quote Originally Posted by Blackice View Post
    I was LBA in the UK too. I adored LBA2. Such a fun, quirky experience. Shame there was never another one.
    I have such found memories of LBA and LBA2... I so wished i can share this with my kids someday. But the graphics and gameplay are getting old... We need a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinaldirection View Post
    The final release of Disciples III is pretty good too, subtitled: Reincarnation.
    It is? I played Disciples 1 or 2 and Disciples 3: Renaissance and I never really liked the series. It usually had quite great graphics but story and gameplay was the usual mediocre HoMM stuff.