Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    I remember playing the demo of Outwars ages ago and really liking it. Could never find it in the shops though. :(

Relatively new obscure stuff that I've sunk a lot of time into but people tend not to know of:

Tricky Truck

I have sunk so much time into playing and making levels for this game. I love it so much I made this trailer for it:

That looks fun. Makes me think of Marble Madness, but with a semi truck.

Noitu Love 2: Devolution is a brilliant and super fast paced action game. It makes use of some of the best sprite art I've seen in a game, and looks beautiful in motion. At the basic level, it's a sidescrolling platformer with a fast running speed as well as a dash, but with a unique combat sytem involving you using the mouse to not only aim some attacks, but for movement as well. It's short, but it's sweet and also has some alternate characters to add some replay value.

Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy is a great, deconstructed JRPG in which each level begins with an evil sorcerer casting a spell that will destroy the world in 30 seconds. It's then your job to level up your hero, buy your items and equipment, and assault the evil sorcerer within the time limit. You also have the help of the goddess of time, who can turn back time for an exponentially increasing amount of gold. There's a massive amount of content here, as well as different modes where you play as the evil sorcerer or a damsel in distress. The levels are varied, too- there's almost never a level that's as simple as "Kill the Bad Guy" - there's always something else going on too. Overall it's an enjoyable, innovative little game.

Crypticsea's physics powered minimalist FPS games Sub Rosa (originally made for 7DFPS) and A New Zero (jokingly referred to as his "7 year FPS")

Obscure Node
    I'm amused by what some people find to be "obscure" around here. Gothic? Startopia? Arx Fatalis?

Salvation Prophecy however was a surprise:

The trailer reminds me of Sacrifice. Doesn't really make want to play Salvation Prophecy as much as it makes me want to replay Sacrifice though. I've also watched a walkthrough vid and combat looks boring as hell compared to Sacrifice.
    Last edited by .N.; 30-08-2013 at 11:20 PM.

I don't know if this would be classed as obscure or just old, but I certainly haven't heard anyone talk about this game. One of my earliest gaming memories was with one of Raven's oldest games Shadowcaster, it looked like Ultima Underworld but played like your old school shooter. The gimmick was you could shapeshift into certain beasts and demons, things like a dragon or a golem who can cause earthquakes. Along with Hexen: Beyond Heretic these guys really showed potential and made some of the most original and ground breaking shooters of the time

I had completely forgotten the name of this game and who developed it for years. I was trying to remember who developed one of my all time favorite shooters Return to Castle Wolfenstein and due to the remake, I came to the conclusion it was Raven Software (completely wrong, actually a studio called Grey Matter who previously had made such lovely sounding games as "Redneck Rampage" before making the gem RtCW, and then being swallowed up by CoD factory Treyach... definition of one hit wonder). Anyway, found Shadowcaster in their backlog instead and was pleasantly swallowed by nostalgia.
    Last edited by Skull; 31-08-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Tons of Chinese medieval themed RPGs. They are obscure in the west because it seems no one bothers to localise them for you. Your loss I must say.

Japanese gal games too but some are not that obscure. First thing first I think all of you should know of Sega's Sakura Wars.

I really liked Atom Zombie Smasher, but I haven't been back since I had a weird dream partly based on it, but with work colleagues and game designers being chased by the zombies. Strange that such an abstract game would do that after a fairly short time playing.

Thanks for the mention of Doctor Brain - I played Castle and Island (I think - might have been Lost Mind) and both were really enjoyable.

I mean to get around to Last Express, but it hasn't worked its way to the top of the backlog yet. It sounds great.

On-topic, two fairly obscure games that I think are neat are Darklands and King of Dragon Pass. In both cases, though, they're quite difficult to get started in (I haven't got very far), so I can kind of see why they're not more popular.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Darklands is one I got into in the mid-00s. It's excellent, and well worth the somewhat daunting start. It's a lot more intuitive than it appears to be at first, and gives you loads of freedom. Keeping the manual open in another window is a must though, as weapons and armours all have unique advantages/flaws, rather than everything being decided by tedious levelled crap. An updated version would be wonderful, it's a real shame the planned series never happened.

King of Dragon Pass I discovered last year when it came out on gog.com. Excellent game, and I found it very easy to get into, though to be fair I'd played similar games, as it's a sort of cross between Darklands, Lords of the Realm, and Hidden Agenda. It's hard to master though, and you need to read up a little to really prosper. Still fun to just muck about in, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm amused by what some people find to be "obscure" around here. Gothic? Startopia? Arx Fatalis?
    Agree. In Germany, Poland and probably in most Slavic countries Gothic is very well known and it's hard to find gamers who didn't played it or at least seen it on friend's PC.

I'll vote for Irisu Syndrome - it's japanese crossbreed between tetris-like game and horror visual novel with a little bit of breaking the fourth wall. And it's free.
    Check it out:
    game
    translation

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    In the US people treat Gothic like the ugly stepbrother of TES if they've played it all. Most haven't played it. When I was in high school I bought the original (the only copy gamestop had) and copied it once to give to a friend. Seven people ended up buying the game from that one copy, and some of them had to wait weeks to get a copy in stock. Bear in mind that the US version is so cheap that they have three voice actors (and one is a woman saying don't talk to me).

I'm the only one of my friends that played Arx Fatalis, and the store I bought it from never restocked it.
    Last edited by Internet; 31-08-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    If they were amazing they wouldn't be obscure.
    "What’s Grim Fandango? "
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Banned
    Not obscure.

Also arguably not a game!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, if your definition of obscure is limiting enough, then no amazing games can be obscure. But that only holds true for the individual and not as an axiom.

Have you ever played or seen Exit Fate or Metal Warriors? How many people played Geneforge before it was a Humble Bundle game? Or Aquaria?

If they were amazing they wouldn't be obscure.
    He must like Justin Bieber a lot, because hey, he's famous and well known. Marketing does not make a game good!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Bear in mind that the US version is so budget they have three voice actors (and one is a woman saying don't talk to me).
    Whoa. That's say much. Polish version of Gothic probably have the best voice over ever done in this country, maybe except first Stalker where all important speech was like TV lector, all done by one person. Very weird move, but it works (and it comes from person who doesn't like lectors in foreign movies) perfectly.

Anyway, Gothic is a cult game in Poland (and Germany), we even made one huge mod with full amateur voice over which is probably better than US official translation, lol.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I tried the first two Gothic games in about 2005, and again more recently, and I always end up getting to the first village and just losing interest after getting a million jobs to do. Which happens with most RPGs, to be fair.

I like a lot of what Gothic did though, stuff no other games bother with, like having people you rob put two and two together if you turn up the next day asking weird questions.

The fucking terrible controls don't help, mind. Even Risen didn't quite shake off that hangover.

Realms of the Haunting. It's obscure now, but probably wasn't back when it came out. An unusual mix of narrative-driven adventure, action, puzzler, and FMV. Not 100% successful, and the visuals are horrid by today's standards, but original and unlike any other game I've played.
    "Oh, evolution. It wasn't meant for everyone."

Immortal Defense. I posted about this game in just about every of these kind of threads but I don't think anybody besides Heliocentric ever picked it up and I don't think he quite got it. It'S a story-driven tower defense type of game and it's quite the thing. There's also a very large demo and it's permanently pay-what-you-want: http://studioeres.com/immortal/
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    King of Dragon Pass I discovered last year when it came out on gog.com. Excellent game, and I found it very easy to get into, though to be fair I'd played similar games, as it's a sort of cross between Darklands, Lords of the Realm, and Hidden Agenda. It's hard to master though, and you need to read up a little to really prosper. Still fun to just muck about in, though.
    I got King of Dragon pass at the same time that you did and while its good I found it too random to really enjoy, especially when you get conflicting events (too many villagers one year so most of them leave to found a colony and then the next year you suddenly don't have enough villagers).

Its hard to pick obscure, good, games simply because if they are good there is a high chance that they aren't really obscure. 2 games that I have been playing recently that may fit the description are Warrior kings (a slow paced RTS game with a dynamic tech tree) and Warzone2100 (one of the first 3D RTS games with a very extensive tech tree but I don't suppose that this is really obscure).

Obscure Node
    Hi I have a link to a website for WarTactical a free turn-based wargame, but you have to be really into wargames to like it, if you don't know what grognard means your not a wargamer yet, the website is on thefreewargamer http://www.freewargamer.com/tbs/wartactical-mini-site/

The game is full version and absolutely free, no adds or anything.

its a squad-level wargame played with chits on a board from an overhead view of about 1square mile visible on-screen, it has 30 scenarios but you really should look into the editor, you can set elevations, Terrain bonus or a negative bonus, Victory points, rally flags, walls, Line of sight blockers etc... etc...

the game has a great computer opponent.