Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    I really liked Atom Zombie Smasher, but I haven't been back since I had a weird dream partly based on it, but with work colleagues and game designers being chased by the zombies. Strange that such an abstract game would do that after a fairly short time playing.
    For you, strange dreams, for me, BSoD.

Obscure Node
    Hardwar - this game had me obsessed for quite a while. Imagine an elite style game set on Titan with hovercrafts. It looks like a Chris Foss painting brought to life. There are still some websites dedicated to it http://www.zedo.hardwar.info/ is the main one. Before they went out of business the developers updated it quite a bit.

Obscure Node
    The Darkening Privateer 2 was a great successer to Privateer 1, it was for dos but had amazeing graphics and gameplay

Quote Originally Posted by EOT View Post
    For you, strange dreams, for me, BSoD.
    Maybe your computer had a strange dream?
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post

The Hunter

F2P hunting-sim with stunningly gorgeous environments (thanks to Just Cause 2's Avalanche Engine) and genuinely challenging gameplay. Stealth-fans, check this one out. Tracking down and sneaking up on a deer is more of a challenge than anything you're going to find in any mainstream stealthgame.

Thanks for this. Had a go last night and had a great time, even though after two hours I'd only caught a glimpse of a distant deer and not fired a single shot outside the target ranges.

Although I would have had a boar, two coyotes and another species of deer, if I was allowed to hunt them without paying. Woe. I appreciate that they're still in there though, and the "license" thing is a clever way to work the free to play thing without making it as jarring as it usually is.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxNormal View Post
    Hardwar - this game had me obsessed for quite a while. Imagine an elite style game set on Titan with hovercrafts. It looks like a Chris Foss painting brought to life. There are still some websites dedicated to it http://www.zedo.hardwar.info/ is the main one. Before they went out of business the developers updated it quite a bit.
    I saw this thread and immediately thought about Hardwar, been a few years since I played it though. Never been sure why it didn't become more well known given as far as I remember it did pretty much everything right (I guess the FMV might be an acquired taste!).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    My god, thank you for that Hardwar link. That'll keep me occupied for a few days.

Now that we're all here in this here thread; does anyone remember a shooty type game which took lots of inspiration from the city in The Fifth Element? I remember it was very similar to that and was a fantastically shootymcbang game where you flew around in a flying car. Similarly colourful and was for its time quite the looker and system pusher.
    Last edited by khaz; 02-09-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    My god, thank you for that Hardwar link. That'll keep me occupied for a few days.

Now that we're all here in this here thread; does anyone remember a shooty type game which took lots of inspiration from the city in The Fifth Element? I remember it was very similar to that and was a fantastically shootymcbang game where you flew around in a flying car. Similarly colourful and was for its time quite the looker and system pusher.
    Sounds like B-Hunter. I toyed with it back when abandonware was a thing, it was sod to get working on xp, but great fun. Surprised I'd never heard of it, and haven't since.

Hardwar is indeed great, and it's a real shame it didn't take off (plot in-joke bonus!). I always liked to picture it or a remake with a persistent online world, with players running the whole economy, so that even common things like water and metal could become valuable if too few players were shipping them around.
    Last edited by sinister agent; 02-09-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Hardwar is indeed great, and it's a real shame it didn't take off (plot in-joke bonus!).
    Well, it did "take off" but it was the nineties - the game was published, sold but it was much easier to go under the radar than today, if you weren't blizzard or somesuch.

Regarding the in-joke - hell, that was such a depressing setting. Funny how we just might replicate it if we try hard enough http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22360228

Activated Node
    The Trouble With Robots
    finished it (despite my ever growing backlog) but keep going back for more :)

Activated Node
    Hardwar is indeed great, and it's a real shame it didn't take off (plot in-joke bonus!). I always liked to picture it or a remake with a persistent online world, with players running the whole economy, so that even common things like water and metal could become valuable if too few players were shipping them around.
    I'm fairly certain you could host a persistent online world (it was added patch 3.0 I think). I've no idea whether economy was reactive or how the story side was dealt with though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Sounds like B-Hunter. I toyed with it back when abandonware was a thing, it was sod to get working on xp, but great fun. Surprised I'd never heard of it, and haven't since.

Nope, that wasn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Nope, that wasn't it.

G police? I never played that, but remember thinking it sounded terrific.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    G-Police is a wonderful game and I spent a lot of hours on it but its not that either. :)

Beam Breakers then.

EDIT: Or maybe Crime Cities, that looks like it has more shooting.
    Last edited by Spacewalk; 04-09-2013 at 06:27 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Oh my god, Beam Breakers.

Thank you!

Terranigma is my second favorite SNES RPG (played on an emulator). Imagine Zelda with a good story, and weep that Enix merged with Square, ruining both in the process.
    I only have one french speaking friend who played this besides me... it's a unknown gem here because it was never translated... I bought it as a teen and had to play it with an english dictionnary. I so fucking love this game !

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Thanks for this. Had a go last night and had a great time, even though after two hours I'd only caught a glimpse of a distant deer and not fired a single shot outside the target ranges.
    Glad you liked it. :D 2 hours though? You weren't running around everywhere were you? When I played it, iirc it usually took around 15-30 minutes of just walking around, following tracks before I'd spotted my first deer. Might've taken a full hour once.
    Last edited by Henke; 04-09-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    gridrunner revolution

excellent mouse only control scheme, a true "get in the zone" shump. works good as a music visualizer too and is chuck full of Jeff Minter style acid weirdness - sarcastic "you died" messages, sheep as power ups, curry strength as difficulty levels etc..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UC3vmjV2mI
    Last edited by karaquazian; 04-09-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    Glad you liked it. :D 2 hours though? You weren't running around everywhere were you? When I played it, iirc it usually took around 15-30 minutes of just walking around, following tracks before I'd spotted my first deer. Might've taken a full hour once.
    Nope, but I was out in the open a wee bit, and they seemed to be working as a tag team, because I kept finding two different trails... a bit annoying that you lose the first if you want to examine the second, but I'd imagine with a little practice it doesn't matter anyway. I saw about half a dozen other animals though, and nailed a headshot on the deer-that-must-not-be-hunted, so iono.