Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maxis and EA did it again

There's a thread on reddit (yeah, so take it with a dumping truck of salt etc) claiming that the Mac version of SimCity, which was delayed (supposedly to specifically make the "native" Mac version better, though obviously now I can't find the official quote), is actually just the Windows version in a wrapper:

http://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/co..._for_mac_os_x/

I've refused to provide coverage of the game, and don't own it on Origin to verify. Can anyone confirm this, because if so this is yet another case of blatant lying on this game.

Meanwhile I'll try to find the original quote.

EDIT: It's here: http://www.simcity.com/en_GB/blog/ar...City-on-Mac-uk

"Q: Why is the Mac port launching later?A: The Maxis studio is not producing a Mac port, but has created a native version that has been optimized for Mac OS."

Edit 2: Ok so it looks like this is just hot air. There's another reddit thread that pokes holes in the assertion:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1le60u/confirmation_that_the_mac_port_is_just_a_wrapper/

Back to work…
    Last edited by Ninjafoodstuff; 30-08-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    "Give all your money to CoD. Give yourself to CoD. Play only CoD. There are no other games. Nothing else matters. Shoot the men. Shoot all the men. Shoot them all the time."

Editor, Control Command Escape

Steam | Raptr

yes, and? its not uncommon and as far as I know, not all too bad. I think Spore and several other huge releases did it too and it worked ok.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't have any problem with games using a wrapper if they test it and it works well. A fair number of Humble Bundle games work on Linux for this reason, and it's been good for both platforms.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I don't have any problem with games using a wrapper if they test it and it works well. A fair number of Humble Bundle games work on Linux for this reason, and it's been good for both platforms.
    That cannot be. If what you say is true, it is possible that EA does not, in fact, eat children.

Obscure Node
    Isn't it the ''normal'' way to do this?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    That cannot be. If what you say is true, it is possible that EA does not, in fact, eat children.
    Whoa! Slow down. They ate Bioware, which is worse than eating children.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Isn't it the ''normal'' way to do this?
    no, there is no normal way anymore, since Intel. You can do it native, but that usually involves programming everything again from the ground up, unless you have an engine that works on multiple platforms from the go.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    While that's certainly true, I don't agree that needed an additional 6 months to make a wrapper, and more to the point, the official line was "we are making a native version".
    "Give all your money to CoD. Give yourself to CoD. Play only CoD. There are no other games. Nothing else matters. Shoot the men. Shoot all the men. Shoot them all the time."

Steam | Raptr

Network Hub
    This comment seems to clear up the confusion. It's not a wrapper.

Banned
    I never liked wrappers. Put a salad in an edible package? Whoop de fucking doo.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    A i-fanboy shouldn't be too concerned with video game, which is a disgrace of the noble Apple life-attitude.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Off topic. But I've got a real monstrosity i product. A 2004 iBook, running LinuxPPC. Try gaming on that! :D

Actually, I'll be attempting DOSBox on it.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    A i-fanboy shouldn't be too concerned with video game, which is a disgrace of the noble Apple life-attitude.
    Preach all you want - they can't hear you over the noise of XCOM, Civ 5, Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2...
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

And so another thread disintegrates into pointless Mac-bashing. Well done.

Steam | Raptr

Banned
    It wouldn't be a problem if nobody used Macs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    It wouldn't be a problem if nobody used Macs.
    But then the quantity of people who "don't understand computers" who need your "PC help" would quadruple...

I notice the Mac release it made the BBC News for 'not working at launch' - nice to see they kept that bit in too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23896301

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I notice the Mac release it made the BBC News for 'not working at launch' - nice to see they kept that bit in too
    So it is a true port after all. It's quite an achievement to not only learn from other people's mistakes on the matter but not learn from your own either.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjafoodstuff View Post
    And so another thread disintegrates into pointless Mac-bashing. Well done.
    As opposed to pointless EA bashing.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    But then the quantity of people who "don't understand computers" who need your "PC help" would quadruple...
    Haha probably true, but right now there is too high a quantity of people who "can't use their macs" and need help with them. "Get a PC if you want me to fix it" is about the extent of my troubleshooting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Haha probably true, but right now there is too high a quantity of people who "can't use their macs" and need help with them. "Get a PC if you want me to fix it" is about the extent of my troubleshooting.
    But it's easy to say "I don't know anything about Macs" - I used to fend-off quite a few people that way but some of them have had the cheek to get a Windows PC now and I've RUN OUT OF EXCUSES!!! *shakes fist at the fruitarians*

Disclaimer: All Mac bashing is done in a light-hearted way - honest - fucking hippies ;)