Banned

BG2: Enhanced Edition

http://www.baldursgateii.com/

BG2 Enhanced Edition, out in November!
    Last edited by Mohorovicic; 03-09-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I opened the thread only to find out how the title ended as my mobile browser truncated it.

Only mods can edit thread names IIRC.

Edit: BG1 enhanced was never very interesting as BG1 was dull as rocks without sufficient party banter or enough to do other than twating with a red circle and fed ex quests.

BG2 prettied up is exciting.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 31-08-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I was waiting for BG2 to get it on my iPad. But is a bit too late now,... I gifted my iPad to my dad, so I don't have it now.

Getting BG2 on the PC is a bit unnecesary, since the old game still works, and with mods can support modern resolutions. I love BG2 but never actually finished it, this unnecesary release can be my oportunity, if the price is right.

Banned
    The BGT as well as large amount of mods for it, chiefly Widescreen, was the main reason why I was highly skeptical about EE in the first place.

But after I played around a bit with it, and perhaps more importantly also played around a bit with BGT at the same time, it became clear EE is just superior.

Widescreen's main failing is in what it is - essentially a player-made hack. Apart from UI scaling which is far from perfect, you basically have two choices:
    a) Play on your native res and potentially ruin your eyes because that makes characters the size of zerglings in SC
    b) Downscale and have everything be a semi-blurry mess because modern LCDs suck so badly at displaying resolutions other than native

Which brings us to the main point: why is EE worth a look.
    - It supports all modern resolutions, it has proper UI scaling, and a bigger more clear font. You can even zoom in and out using your mouse wheel, which is of dubious practical value but at least it's cool
    - It comes with few nice UI improvements like the Inventory screen displaying your ThAC0, AC, and damage range with all relevant bonuses listed and blue interface with gold trim, silimar to the original BG interface
    - It has all the benefits of BG2+ToB engine - new classes and kits, Tab highlighting containers, etc.
    - It includes all the bugfixes from official patches, plus all the bugfixes from fan-made fixpacks, plus some more original bugfixes
    - Some new content - a handful of new weapons, four new BG2-style NPCs, etc.
    - WeiDU(which all BG/2/T mods worth any attention use) now properly recognizes EE installation, in other words all the BG/BGT mods should work with BG:EE
    - I've heard it from a pretty reliable source that the BG:EE engine is already miles ahead of ToBex, so it should allow modders to have more breathing room

So yeah. It's far from just repackaging BGT and grabbing some quick buck.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    At least this time it is a good game being "enhanced" - while BG1 was a decent game and is notable for being firmly set in an ADnD setting, it wasn't terribly groundbreaking in terms of story or characters and I found it relatively bland.

BG2, on the other hand, had a dazzling array of environments and some reasonably cool characters. Finest work pre-EA Bioware ever made. Not intending to replay it, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post

Edit: BG1 enhanced was never very interesting as BG1 was dull as rocks without sufficient party banter or enough to do other than twating with a red circle and fed ex quests.

BG2 prettied up is exciting.
    Yeah, they're quite different games really. Baldur's Gate is practically open world, dropping you into this huge fantasy land and giving you a vague direction. It's a good introduction, and roaming the land with a band of mercenaries going job to job holds a certain appeal. Baldur's Gate 2 is much tighter in comparison, bringing the writing to the forefront in a more focused epic adventure.