Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Console Gaming

Console Gaming

*runs for cover*

You can run but you cannot hide, man.

So... what did you get from Sony's welcome back to PSN thing? Me: inFamous and Dead Nation for PS3, LPB and Modnation Racers for PSP.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    I took LBP, which I had traded in recently towards Portal 2. Would take inFamous but it wasn't showing up as an option for me. Will check again this week.

Don't have a PSP, but will probably choose some anyway.

I already have the only PSP games I'm interested in in the offer. I don't see why they couldn't have just given people some store credit instead.

Obscure Node
    I picked up dead nation and infamous as well. I have been playing dead nation when I have the time and it is consistently fun. I am actually surprised that the games they choose, besides the fact that most people already own most of them, are indeed good games.

Obscure Node Where Is My Halftime Pie?'s Avatar
    I'm an Xbox 360 owner myself, and my most-played game by far for the past 8 months or so has been NBA 2K11. Best sports game ever, I'm willing to claim.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    console are for kids and jrpg virgins, like the only good console game is the resident evil series and even thats gone down hill
    Thank you for the valuable input of a clearly TOTALLY MATURE PC gamer Simon.

I thought Jim banned you?

A succinct and completely accurate summation of the console gaming scene by Simon, there. Kudos.

Anyway, I was mainly a consolite until about.... 10 years ago, probably, then started getting into PC gaming and now I hardly play any console games. Though to be fair, I only have a Wii which has a small number of games that I found to be especially worth bothering about. I toy with the idea of getting an Xbox but given I already have a backlog of PC games it's probably a bad idea.

I've got my old Saturn still, mind. I could always dig that out and get some Panzer Dragoon Saga or Guardian Heroes action goin' on. :D
    Last edited by Ian; 06-06-2011 at 05:23 PM.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

@apa

I got LBP even though I don't really like the way it works as a platformer and modnation which broke my psp :D

D:

Actually I don't like LBP myself that much either (I suck at it) but my wife likes it. I can't play it on PS3 with her because I'm always dying or getting left behind... maybe i'm just a bad loser at a game which almost doesn't let you lose :D

Some thoughts on my new PS3, and my future 360:

I just bought a brand PS3 for $70 (a long tale of Craigslist, Target coupons, an exchange, and more Craigslist), and honestly, I'm going to jump ship to the 360 as soon as I play the PS3 exclusives I want. It seems like Sony doesn't have the vision for console gaming that Microsoft does. The PSN Store is clumsy and ugly compared to the XMB, and PSN isn't nearly as integrated into the console as it should be. I tried the Clash of Heroes demo, and the loading times were frankly ludicrous -- apparently the 360 version fares a bit better, as many multiplatform games tend to do. It's at the point where I ask myself, "If things are smoother on Xbox, do I want to sink money into PSN games when I'm going to switch consoles later?" And the answer, sadly, is no.

I won't be buying a Vita any time soon, and I couldn't care less about 3D support for games. Move is, well, it's not for me. As much as Microsoft tries to stuff Kinect crap into everything, their Xbox Live team is actually trying to improve the user experience, Kinect or not. I hate Microsoft for its GFWL incompetence and its general tendency to monetize everything, but I'll be damned if they haven't made the 360 the easiest console to use -- does anybody remember the old blades-based interface? They've come quite a ways since then.

For people wondering "Why didn't you just buy a 360?": I wanted to play the PS3 exclusives more, and the PS3 was also on sale at the time. Anyway, those are my thoughts on the current console generation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    My PS3 is now pretty much a catch up on TV and watch Films device, i don't think i've got and played that many games on it for ages. Though that might change if i get a few co-op/competitive games.

@apa

I just don't like lbp, its an awful platformer with terrible controls, a level editor with a boring game attached, but free stuff is free and the other games looked even worse.

My psp fixed itself and I got modnation running, its like mariokart with lots of customization, the problem is that the 'mod' part of the game is purely cosmetic and makes no difference to the way you play :/. surely the idea is that you aim for that gold medal because it unlocks an engine with +5 speed boost or something, otherwise what's the point?

off topic here but are quotes not working yet on the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Miker View Post
    Some thoughts on my new PS3, and my future 360:

I just bought a brand PS3 for $70 (a long tale of Craigslist, Target coupons, an exchange, and more Craigslist), and honestly, I'm going to jump ship to the 360 as soon as I play the PS3 exclusives I want.
    Haha I'm the opposite. I have a xbox360 and want to get a PS3, mainly for some exclusives (Heavy Rain above all). My xbox after ONLY ONE YEAR has problems already (flickering screen) and is not like I've been playing a lot (average 1h/day!!!). Microsoft needs to learn to build better HW.
    if you like manga, RPG and dating sims, check my indie computer games

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    My original 360 died too. But it was a launch day model, got played a lot, and died after 3 years. I can handle that. I had enough good times (and games) to make it worth getting another. When it first came out, the games on it genuinely looked better than anything my PC was doing. Over time, its swung back to the PC.

I got a 60GB PS3 'fat' on the justification to my wife that I could get rid of any PSX machines around the house as its backwards compatible. For a long while, I continued to play old PS2 games on there. There's still not a great deal on the PS3 I find myself playing, having ogne through most of the exclusives. It's mostly a demon's souls machine (which sounds properly evil, come to think of it!) :-). Personally, all the PS3 front end stuff seems a mess when compared to the xbox. The shop etc. frequently crashes and takes way too long to get a game compared to the xbox. It IS good for streaming lovefilm on and makes a decent blu-ray player too, so I don't feel too shortchanged.

I liked the fact when I bought portal on the PS3 I got a free PC copy though. That actually made me get the PS3 version , so good marketing there sony. Split screen couch co-op + a PC copy = great!

All the innovation seems to be coming from the PC at the moment though, the console games have stagnated into sequels or gimmicks. There'll be some good releases this year, no doubt, but I've already spent more this year on indie games on the PC than on anything else. What console games are folks planning to get this year that AREN'T on the PC? I'll almost certainly get Dark Souls, unless they mess that up royally. If they just rehash demons souls, it will probably be my 'game of the year', even in a year of portal 2, mass effect 3, skyrim, deus ex et al.
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    All the innovation seems to be coming from the PC at the moment though, the console games have stagnated into sequels or gimmicks. There'll be some good releases this year, no doubt, but I've already spent more this year on indie games on the PC than on anything else. What console games are folks planning to get this year that AREN'T on the PC? I'll almost certainly get Dark Souls, unless they mess that up royally. If they just rehash demons souls, it will probably be my 'game of the year', even in a year of portal 2, mass effect 3, skyrim, deus ex et al.
    I'll be all over the special ed of Dark Souls, not sure what platform to get it on though as it's now gone multiformat.

I would also say that whilst mainstream console games are lacking in innovation at the moment, (this is ignoring LA Noire, and a few good upcoming ones, like the new ICO game) there's quite a bit of good stuff in the 360 Arcade scene (downloadable titles) Limbo, Trials, Outland, Stacking, ilomilo, might & magic that Bangai-O game stu campbell won't stop talking about... way too many for me to have managed to get through this year.

I spend about 50% of my console gaming time playing XBLA stuff at the moment, with the other 50% being Demon's Souls. Mmmm.

Anybody see the stuff about the Wii U? The shame of it is that it'll turn out exactly like the Wii in as much as there's real potential to do some interesting stuff with it and bring some real improvements on certain genres to the console markets (strategy is the one that leaps out at me, but with a pointer or touchscreen you've got potential for management type things, different sorts of puzzlers, etc.) but it'll just go completely unused. There'll be, like, 5 games that actually make the most of it.

On the Wii, for example, I think Metroid Prime 3 was one of the best console shooters because the controls were (for me) better than playing one with a pad. And The Conduit... well they worked really hard on the controls but then forgot to make an actual good game to go with it. I really liked PES08 on the Wii as well. Sure it looked ugly but I thought the controls for that were excellent and let you do stuff in games that with a regular pad set-up it'd be much trickier to do, and I'm sort of sad that nobody's tried to ape this on PC with a decent mouse-based set-up for a game as then you'd have even more accuracy.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Yeah, there's a lot of potential with a gyroscopic touchscreen with a camera on the back. AR type controls/games or headtracking-type stuff springs to mind as things that people haven't done much with yet. I also suspect it will go woefully underutilised. A strategy game where up to 4 friends play an FPS splitscreen on the big screen whilst you deliver orders via an RTS interface?
    Metroid prime was a brilliant example of how to do a shooter on the Wii (I got the trilogy with the reworked controls + sensible checkpoints for the earlier games - absolutely superb!) but nobody else was able to do it as well.

@Laneford - I've also been playing all those XBLA games! I guess they fall into my mental category of 'indie' too. I probably should say 'small, cheap, downloadable' when I talk about innovation :-). I've not played stacking or Outland yet but played the rest. I do not have enough hours in my day to play through to completion on a lot of those though :-). The new Team ICO game will be awesome, but I'm pretty sure that'll not be out here this year. I'm sorely tempted by the HD remasters of ICO and SoTC though (I always am with proper 'classic' games), even though I still own the original copies of both PS2 games and have the ability to simply play them. Both classics of the highest order.
    Last edited by groovychainsaw; 08-06-2011 at 11:27 AM.
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

My original 360 died too. But it was a launch day model, got played a lot, and died after 3 years. I can handle that. I had enough good times (and games) to make it worth getting another. When it first came out, the games on it genuinely looked better than anything my PC was doing. Over time, its swung back to the PC.
    Actually I was wrong, I checked and has been two years. Still...
    There'll be some good releases this year, no doubt, but I've already spent more this year on indie games on the PC than on anything else. What console games are folks planning to get this year that AREN'T on the PC? I'll almost certainly get Dark Souls, unless they mess that up royally. If they just rehash demons souls, it will probably be my 'game of the year', even in a year of portal 2, mass effect 3, skyrim, deus ex et al.
    Yes, I am mostly interested for some fighting games (there are really none decent on PC) and japanese stuff (JRPG). Is mostly to use it to do research/get inspiration for my own manga games :)
    if you like manga, RPG and dating sims, check my indie computer games