Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 601
  1. #1
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    2,532

    Kommunity Kickstarter Katchup Kollektiv

    Since RPS' very own Kickstarter Katchup is once again AWOL, I think it's about time to make this happen. This thread is dedicated to Kickstarter projects and potentially other crowdfunding services as well. It's about presenting and discussing projects to and with other people, and to ask backers question. Also appreciated are in-depth articles about projects and crowdfunding in general.

    The Rules
    • Do not advertise your own projects. We have an entire subforum dedicated to this. This is primarily to prevent spam.
    • Do not post projects with outrageous and unrealistic goals. I suppose it's hard to tell in some cases but at least try to avoid it.
    • Make sure to mention if a project uses flexible funding(=they get the accumulated money even if they fail to reach the goal).


    We'll see how this works out.
    Last edited by Anthile; 08-02-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

    to wound the autumnal city.

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,555
    Adventures of Pip: A pixel becomes a man. Word of warning, judging from their last campaign, apparently they used up 50% of their anticipated funding in two months.
    Band Saga featured by RPS (I think), has quite a good pitch. It's a roguelite where everything is made by sound, and you can generate your own sound. Looks quite fun.
    Black Hat Occulus: Two player 3D stealth / robbery game.
    Code Spells: Program your own magic in the game. It looks like a good teaching element, but I'm not so sure about the game yet. Halfway there already.
    Creepy Castle looks like a fun 2D platformer / rpg, but that artstyle looks too retro even for me.
    Cube and Me: A pet sim roguelite. You should watch the pitch, because it's different if nothing else.
    Desolate: Hand-Painted 2D puzzle adventure.
    Extrasolar: Season 2, A game about negotiating the technical and political challenges of operating a rover on an exoplanent. It looks pretty dang cool.
    Outpost 13: You play as a chestburster type monster trying to scare a research team into helping you escape your cold / hellish planet.
    Poncho
    : An open world 2D platformer where you're searching for whoever made you. It also plays with parallax perspective like DK Returns or Mutant Mudds.
    Phantasmal: A 3D roguelite horror game.
    The Splits looks neat, it calls itself a trollcore collection, which I take it means vvvvv style difficulty.
    Warlocks: A fast-paced co-op roguelite with some nice pixel art. Looks quite fun.
    And of course, the star of the week: Pathologic.
    Last edited by Internet; 27-09-2014 at 09:20 AM.

  3. #3
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    463
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...nd-of-the-line

    I think this looks amazing but I'm afraid they might not make it

  4. #4
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5
    Free and open-source RTS 0 A.D. just launched an indiegogo fundraiser. It's flexible funding, so these guys will get whatever money is thrown their way. Presumably they will pay for whatever full-time work they can afford, although they haven't made it clear whether the two people they plan to employ are able to work on very short-term contracts.

    I'm interested in hearing what other people think about an open-source game seeking funds in this way (disclaimer: I work on an open-source game). I noticed when RPS covered the Starcraft Universe kickstarter, lots of comments were quite hostile to the idea, and there seems to be an in-built assumption that kickstarters need to offer pre-orders for an otherwise commercial game to be successful. What do you guys think? Would you donate to a project that you knew would be free anyway, just to see it developed more quickly or more competently?

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,253
    We have a whole forum for this, no?

    Forum: For The Promotion Of PC Game-Making Projects And Things Like That

    If you are pimping a game you made, or a Kickstarter, or anything else you want attention for, put it in here. Thanks!

    The katchup was interesting in that it showed a quick summary in one list and the winners/losers. Seeing who won and what I can look forward to trying in the future. Seeing who lost out and vow to do a 2nd Kickstarter and complete the game regardless. You get a nice picture what is being funded and not.

    A thread with the first page updated every 2 weeks would fit this better. Now need a semi autonomous way to generate a list and summary.

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,555
    Updated because I really miss kickstarter katchup. Most of these games have been on RPS before, but I'd forgotten about them, especially octopus city.

  7. #7
    Network Hub BTAxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sweden, Yurop
    Posts
    103
    Ideally we'd be able to embed the kickstarter card widgets in our posts, so the information is always current. I don't think the forum lets us do that though.

  8. #8
    Network Hub alset85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    404
    The initials for this thread seem a bit unfortunate. Has noone else noticed?
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    We have a whole forum for this, no?

    Forum: For The Promotion Of PC Game-Making Projects And Things Like That

    If you are pimping a game you made, or a Kickstarter, or anything else you want attention for, put it in here. Thanks!

    The katchup was interesting in that it showed a quick summary in one list and the winners/losers. Seeing who won and what I can look forward to trying in the future. Seeing who lost out and vow to do a 2nd Kickstarter and complete the game regardless. You get a nice picture what is being funded and not.

    A thread with the first page updated every 2 weeks would fit this better. Now need a semi autonomous way to generate a list and summary.
    I think the difference is that this thread is for people who are promoting someone else's project.

  10. #10
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    2,532
    Project Phoenix has 48 hours to go and has achieved an impressive 834k so far. It's currently trending towards about 900k so unless there is going to be a large influx the 1m stretch goal doesn't seem feasible.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

    to wound the autumnal city.

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Project Phoenix has 48 hours to go and has achieved an impressive 834k so far. It's currently trending towards about 900k so unless there is going to be a large influx the 1m stretch goal doesn't seem feasible.
    I give it about a 50/50 chance. There seems to be a tendency for the second to last day to make slightly under half of the second day, and the last day to make slightly over half of the last day. If they get about 45% of their first two days in their last two days, that leaves them at about $1m, and paypal (already at $22k) could probably take it the next $25k.

    I think having all the stretch goals out at once was a mistake (no mid campaign articles about neat new stretch goals).

    Don't forget that trends are generally inaccurate. Projections are better, but PE was definitely beating projections by a lot at the end. As a counterpoint, that was partially caused by the amazing render art, and Project Phoenix has had few updates that substantive.
    Last edited by Internet; 09-09-2013 at 04:31 PM.

  12. #12
    Lesser Hivemind Node Henke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    509

    Kickstarter Katchup: Distance edition

    HERE'S THE SCOOP! The Refract guys are running behind schedule with their Nitronic Rush sequel. The Beta, which was originally slated for August, failed to materialize. What did materialize was the Alpha (which should originally have been out in May). Here's a video by someone who backed enough to get Alpha-access:



    And, well, that looks pretty damn swell doesn't it SO WHAT'S THE HOLDUP REFRACT? Well, apparently the game is bogged down in a bunch of performance, networking, and platform-specific issues. Maaaaaan! Oh well, I guess I should be glad that they're not just settling for releasing a sub-par product. Take your time, guys. But... y'know... hurry! :|

  13. #13
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bern, Switzerland
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Hour View Post
    Free and open-source RTS 0 A.D. just launched an indiegogo fundraiser. It's flexible funding, so these guys will get whatever money is thrown their way. Presumably they will pay for whatever full-time work they can afford, although they haven't made it clear whether the two people they plan to employ are able to work on very short-term contracts.

    I'm interested in hearing what other people think about an open-source game seeking funds in this way (disclaimer: I work on an open-source game). I noticed when RPS covered the Starcraft Universe kickstarter, lots of comments were quite hostile to the idea, and there seems to be an in-built assumption that kickstarters need to offer pre-orders for an otherwise commercial game to be successful. What do you guys think? Would you donate to a project that you knew would be free anyway, just to see it developed more quickly or more competently?
    I gladly backed the project as I find it very promising so far. Tried some earlier alphas already and I hope my friends and I finally get a good replacement for Empire Earth eventually. I don't mind at all that it will be free. That's even a plus for me as I don't have to convince my friends to buy it.

    On another note: Your post validated my decision to finally sign up for the RPS forums. Made a topic about the project on Gamespot and found nothing but disinterest.

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,555
    And Project Phoenix has hit $900k. At the rate they're currently going, they'll hit $950k, and then add $25k+ from paypal, which leaves them $50k short of their overworld stretch goal. That might be for the best since they're supporting a dazzling (perhaps unrealistic) array of platforms (PS4, PS Vita, iOS, Android, PC, Mac, & Linux). However, a $50k above expected surge is certainly within the realms of possibility for efforts of this size, and these haven't been the prime hours (after 5pm / work hours in the US really seems to get a lot more backing). And I do love overworld maps... I deeply, deeply want this project to succeed, but I just can't shake the impression of naivete.

    On a more optimistic note, Mighty No. 9 is very close to $2m, and will have it in a day or two, and they added a boatload of achievable goals. Boss Rush at $2m, old consoles at $2.2m hard mode at $2.4m, extra end stage at $2.5m, online co-op at $2.75m, and the new consoles at $3.3m (which probably has something to do with Unity's announcement that support is coming early next year).

    I watched the Nitronic rush video five or six times in a row, that is absolutely gorgeous.
    Last edited by Internet; 10-09-2013 at 03:39 PM.

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    I haven't checked out the project in detail (I forget why, but I have a reason), but if they are using Unity or a similar engine then supporting all those platforms is pretty viable. Everything but iOS and Android are trivial, and the latter two are basically the same effort for porting (and can use an interface similar to the PC mouse). Everything else is just debugging, which most studios half-ass anyway.
    Last edited by gundato; 10-09-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  16. #16
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,555
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I haven't checked out the project in detail (I forget why, but I have a reason), but if they are using Unity or a similar engine then supporting all those platforms is pretty viable. Everything but iOS and Android are trivial, and the latter two are basically the same effort for porting (and can use an interface similar to the PC mouse). Everything else is just debugging, which most studios half-ass anyway.
    While Unity keeps the cost of porting low (enough so that Obsidian removed Linux as a stretch goal), I don't think it's trivial. Harebrained schemes has not released a Linux port of Shadowrun Returns yet (which is a shame, because my fiancee would love to see it). A lot of studios half-way debug their windows version, and then the problems generated by the port push it well below usability. Furthermore, if they're targeting the PS4 either they'll be getting monetary and technical help from Sony, or they'll be using a beta feature of the Unity engine for much of development.

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    While Unity keeps the cost of porting low (enough so that Obsidian removed Linux as a stretch goal), I don't think it's trivial. Harebrained schemes has not released a Linux port of Shadowrun Returns yet (which is a shame, because my fiancee would love to see it). A lot of studios half-way debug their windows version, and then the problems generated by the port push it well below usability. Furthermore, if they're targeting the PS4 either they'll be getting monetary and technical help from Sony, or they'll be using a beta feature of the Unity engine for much of development.
    It really depends how much "secret sauce" they add. Based on a lot of what Harebrained have said, I suspect they brute forced a lot of things and didn't take advantage of Unity.
    In a lot of ways, it is similar to how so many older games are hard to get running. Not because MS broke backwards compatibility with DirectX (although, I think they did :p), but because those devs weren't using DirectX/OpenGL for whatever reason (performance, pulling off really cool stuff, not giving a shit, whatever). Skimming the KS page, these devs have one of the "world's leading Unity devs" on their team, so they probably know how to make Unity do almost all the heavy lifting, which means that most of the port will be the responsibility of Unity itself, rather than them (and from very limited testing, Unity seems good at that crap if you aren't doing anything too fancy/fun). So that leaves the interface as a problem, and it sounds like they have two schemes to consider (gamepad/keyboard and mouse/finger).

    Maybe "trivial" isn't the best word, but I don't see it being a huge bottleneck. The PS4 could be problematic due to the beta status, but Sony have a history of working pretty well with devs and they are trying to push the indie scene, so Unity is probably a high priority for them. And again, just skimming, but the game looks like it will be "PSN quality" in terms of system requirements, so I don't think an unoptimized PS4 port will hurt them too much in terms of framerate and the like.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,253
    Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    I think the difference is that this thread is for people who are promoting someone else's project.
    People still did that in the other forum. /shrug

  19. #19
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,555
    And Project Phoenix is done at $1014k (+$34k). That's definitely enough for the overworld stretchgoal. It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out. I haven't played a good JRPG for a while (somewhere out there is a copy of Xenoblade for me).

  20. #20
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    11
    Yeah, unfortunate.

    How about Community Cickstarter Catsup!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •