Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alset85 View Post
    The initials for this thread seem a bit unfortunate. Has noone else noticed?
    Yea, it was raised months ago but seems to have been overlooked :/
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Hyper Light Drifter is the current Next Big Thing. The initial funding goal was was reached easily and then they ran out of stretch goals. They added new ones now. It's currently residing at $112,000 and trending for over a million.
    RPS article

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is also doing rather well at $273,000 out of the needed $400,000. It's currently trending to double its goal. From WayForward, the same developers who did the recent Duck Tales remake as well as some other platformers which I think only came out on consoles.

DCS WWII: Europe 1944 might be worth a look if you are into, well, WW2 flight sims. I honestly don't know anything about these but this one seems rather popular, sitting at $72,000 out of the needed $100,000 and comfortably trending for more than twice that amount.

In other news, Paypal are looking to change their rules to no longer hinder crowdfunding endeavors.
    Last edited by Anthile; 14-09-2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Arrow is alt+26
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This is a great week for new kickstarters. There's been a bunch of new Canadian projects, my favorites are Terminus (a terraforming / city builder), Drop (a beautiful sidescroller). Besides that, I thought Tethical an open-source SRPG project, looked really neat.

Everyone who's not me might be interested in the River City Ransom sequel.

The best stretch-goal goes to Octopus City Blues, with New Game+++, where the new games react to your previous ones.

I updated the second post on the first page, and stole AntHile's previous post (even if the trending section of kicktraq is meaningless).

I really don't like browsing indiegogo (because it's a mess, and doesn't have kicktraq), which is a shame, because I miss projects like AURION, an RPG made by an African team that uses their myths and legends as a backdrop. FLEXIBLE FUNDING.

Any cool updates?
    Last edited by Internet; 14-09-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Wile playing Anno 1404, I remembered that kickstarter from Tilted Mill, Medieval Mayor. Well, there hasn't been much if any activity on their website or forum even though the intended release date is still 2013.
    Anyone a backer with insight on this?
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Not exactly FRESH news, but one of Hyper Light Drifter's stretch goals (the last one) is now PS4 and Vita support. Which has a lot of backers excited. I think they've done quite nicely with Stretch Goals, even throwing one in that's just "Hey, this is a lot of money! We're going to make the game generally better as a result without promising any specific new features" which is always nice.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Wile playing Anno 1404, I remembered that kickstarter from Tilted Mill, Medieval Mayor. Well, there hasn't been much if any activity on their website or forum even though the intended release date is still 2013.
    Anyone a backer with insight on this?
    They haven't communicated in any way, shape or form since around june, that does not bode well for the game or the studio.

Great idea. I miss the Kickstarter Katchups.

The Fall - Scifi action platformer/puzzler/adventure game - Be the AI in a wounded astronaut's suit. The dev mentions Asimov's laws and various contradictions you have to overcome.

Taxi Journey - An interesting looking adventure game inspired among others by Machinarium and Limbo

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Revisor View Post
    Great idea. I miss the Kickstarter Katchups.

The Fall - Scifi action platformer/puzzler/adventure game - Be the AI in a wounded astronaut's suit. The dev mentions Asimov's laws and various contradictions you have to overcome.

Taxi Journey - An interesting looking adventure game inspired among others by Machinarium and Limbo
    I thought Taxi Journey tried earlier. I guess they missed, which is a shame because it has nice animations.

The Long Dark - a first-person post-disaster survival simulation created by veteran devs (Far Cry 3, LoL, KOTOR, God of War)

Survive in a simulation that tracks weather, time of day, temperature, food/water, energy use/consumption, and gear condition.

Search for gear and supplies as you struggle to survive a dangerous wilderness

Face morally challenging scenarios that push you to your limit. Will you risk your life for the common good, or live by the adage, "every man for himself"? How far will you go to survive?

Learning about the world -- where the hazards are, the safe routes, supply caches, friendly camps -- is critical to your survival.

The creative director has a magnificent beard. Sold.

Decent looking fantasy isometric party based RPG Lords of Xulima on IndieGoGo. $15 gets you the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I updated my huge post on the first page. All of those look like pretty neat projects. Lords of Xulima definitely looks like my bag.

Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan - a Cameroonian RPG based on African tales. The developers apologize for their bad English and promise they will hire a professional translator for the game.
    Is it a scam, or really a game by a fledgling team in a poor country?

If any of you are on Reddit, come join me also on Crowdfunded Games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I thought Aurion looked really neat, but I don't participate in flexible funding campaigns.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's been a slower week this time around. The two new projects I found most interesting are Cedaria Blackout, a middle-eastern influenced isometric steampunk RPG and GoD Factory, which looks like a cross between Strike Suit Zero and Dota. As the only person in the world who enjoyed flying around in the starships in Battlefront 2, it looks like my sort of thing.

A lot of dynamite projects are still going strong past their funding, including Mighty No. 9, Hyper Light Drifter, Octopus City Blues, Sunless Sea.

My personal favorite unfunded game is Terminus, a terraforming / city building game that still has a month to 22.5k CAD it needs.

The best news of this week is Sunless Sea getting pushed over the top (30k GBP to Submarines). The worst news is the abysmal failure that was Clang, and I like everyone else, want to punch Neil Stephenson in the face for his arrogance (not even a backer).

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    The worst news is the abysmal failure that was Clang, and I like everyone else, want to punch Neil Stephenson in the face for his arrogance (not even a backer).
    How do you mean? I felt like the risks of the project were well outlined and it was made clear that Kickstarter was to help the company get up to the next step. You can argue that it was a misuse of the "point" of Kickstarter, but I don't think so. I regret backing (a minimal "get the game" pledge) but I didn't back it becasue of Stephenson and while it's quite possible the project team did something terribly wrong it's also possible they just didn't get the additional funding they needed (and clearly communicated they needed) for reasons beyond their control.

Projects were always going to fail sometimes; I don't see much case for being especially upset about that. Disappointed, sure.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    It's been a slower week this time around. The two new projects I found most interesting are Cedaria Blackout, a middle-eastern influenced isometric steampunk RPG
    Cedaria does look cool. Thanks. threw them a pledge. Also, very happy Sunless Sea made it. That one has the potential to be something really special.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    "Kickstarter is amazing, but one of the hidden catches is that once you have taken a bunch of people's money to do a thing, you have to actually do that thing, and not some other thing that you thought up in the meantime."

"In other words, this is not a failure of execution our part, but some might consider it a tactical mistake, arguing that we should have put more into gameplay and less into fundamentals. We're comfortable with the direction we went, since without fundamentals we don't really have anything new to offer."

In other words, this is not a failure of execution our part, but some might consider it a tactical mistake, arguing that we should have put more into gameplay and less into fundamentals.

Of course, the answer is "we'll hire some awesome people once we get funded." -- What can people do to help? Probably not that much, unless they happen to be qualified investors or superstar game programmers looking for an adventure.

Their post reads of incredible arrogance. If he had simply said "I'm sorry, we did as best, and this is as far as we got. We were open about this risk in the kickstarter, and we did all we can do," it would be fine. I'm a Doublefine backer, and I bear them no ill will. I feel really bad about Haunts because you can read the anguish in his posts. I just think they handled this exactly the wrong way.

Their post reads of incredible arrogance. If he had simply said "I'm sorry, we did as best, and this is as far as we got. We were open about this risk in the kickstarter, and we did all we can do," it would be fine. I'm a Doublefine backer, and I bear them no ill will. I feel really bad about Haunts because you can read the anguish in his posts. I just think they handled this exactly the wrong way.
    Hmm. I suppose--it did come off a little smarmy to me, but not especially so. I can see why you'd feel that way, though. The first sentence you quoted is really bizarre and dumb-sounding to be sure. Other than that, it doesn't sound different from typical PR boiler-plate in this sort of circumstance and not particularly arrogant boilter-plate at that. There was also that really weird passive aggressive "what we learned" bit at the end that seemed juvenile..

At the end of the day, though, "exactly the wrong way" doesn't sound right to me. It's a medicore press release, but I don't have any reason to think it represents particularly bad business decisions post-Kickstarter. I have no reason to believe my money was misused, only that I made a poor gamble on whether proper as-stated use of the money would be sufficient to get the game to a final state. I think a sparse prototype that demonstrates the fundamental differences of the system was a better move than a large amount of polished gameplay with a "now imagine if you could do all those cool things we talked about with motion controls in here, too!" Perhaps Kickstarter was the wrong avenue for what they wanted to do, but they made it quite clear from the start that it was only their first step to get the ball rolling and draw the attention of bigger investments--there was a flurry of debate surrounding the project as to whether that was "ok" as a Kickstarter project ... but it certainly wasn't misleading.

Where I do see a fair bit of arrogance, thinking about it, is that they clearly have very little connection in the video game industry and their project requires a full-size budget, something Kickstarter has never been good at producing for video games. They're complete outsiders trying to move an extremely ambitious project reliant on technology that isn't mainstream yet and might not be for some time. On the one hand that's exactly why Kickstarter exists and I can't imagine telling a project team that they need to announce at every turn how horribly, dauntingly ambitious the financial mechanics of their project are. But on the other hand CLANG was too much at the wrong time from a team with no leverage to actually pull it off and while they might just have been dealt a bad hand, the whole project was a bit of a reach and I wonder whether they should have even tried. Being genuinely passionate about that project isn't enough.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 22-09-2013 at 04:12 AM.

I tried my hand at the first crowdfunding roundup in lieu of the RPS' Katchup:
    https://pay.reddit.com/r/Games/comme...ng_dark_lords/